DCC Archive The Who: MCA 1st editions vs. MFSL vs. MCA remixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Zoo, Sep 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wes

wes Senior Member

Ice Magazine eh?

Hmmm....musta been how they were mastered. I have the nearly identical mofi version. I wonder if they used the original masters for the ones that weren't remixed? Wow, they all sound remixed. At least I think so.

-Wes :p

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Heh...I think it was something like he came to that conclusion, but I wasn't paying attention at the time. Later on I was comparing versions and found that. So, David found it first, but I did find it on my own... :)

And, yeah, WGFA is most certainly NOT remixed on the WN CD. Check out the terrible noise reduction in the synth in the intro. I'd say if you want a "crisper" version than Steve's, check out the (real) remix on the best of CD. A bit toppy, but a lot better.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I really doubt it. Probably one of the same EQ tapes they've been using all these years. Considering the master is/was in the US, I kind of doubt they would have used it. They *still* haven't used the stereo mix of Magic Bus (again, US only).

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Humility, thy name is Luke. :D

5. Douglas

Douglas New Member

I have a US MCAD version but how do I tell if it's the Steve mastered one? It sounds great, but is there any way I can tell for sure if he mastered it?

6. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

I suggest that you purchase the Canadian version and compare to your US copy. That's what I did - and my US copy sounded completely different than the much cleaner Canadian mastered by Steve.

7. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I finally decided to break down and do this ... while I have assumed my US MCABD copy is the "Hoffman" based purely on how it sounds (quite good), I want to be sure I have the best version, so I placed my order at HMV.com. Can't pass it by at that price.

I also ordered the "Meaty Beaty" CD from them while I was at it. If even some of it sounds good, it's worth it for less than US$6!!

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think you made a good decision, Jeff! The USA Hoffman version is quite rare. Only 3,000 copies were made. Why so few? It was back in the mid '80's (85?) and there were LESS than 3,000 CD players in existance!

I remember these stats from the old board. I think these were Steve's comments!

I'll bet you'll find a difference! :D

9. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

We shall see ... I look forward to it. "Who's Next" is my 2nd favorite Who album (behind "Sell Out" ... I still play my Decca US LP of that; some liberties were taken with the remixed version, and I don't recall the original US MCA CD being very good ... though I should dig it out and give it another spin).

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, I know Steve said something to that effect, but we really don't know. It may have been only 3,000 came out in the first run. Obviously that tape was used again in the future, in particular for the Canadian CD, so it's certainly possible that some US MCA repressings (be they in the US or Japan) used that tape as well.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I still have yet to find a copy, but I've been that the old US MCA sounds the same as the Polydor CD, and that they both sound pretty good...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.