The Who-Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I thought it sounded lousy at the time (was 15 ) and was also mystified by the bizarre versions of I'm A Boy and Magic Bus which sounded like mistakes to me. Disappointed and baffled I was. And I loved The Who.

Tommyboy likes this.
  2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I was hoping this new release would sound better than the original. So, I pulled out my old UK vinyl on Track Record 2406 006, gave it cleaning, and proceeded to spin both sides.
    Not impressed at all with the sound quality. So, I decided to wait for some reviews on here, and glad that I did. I'm passing on this one.

dee, Myke and chacha like this.
  3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not home so I'm forgetting a few things. Is the mono Boris The Spider significantly better-sounding than the true stereo mix? Also, which mix of Magic Bus is on the original MBB&B album? What's the consensus best-sounding available mix/edit for that song? Ron

4. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

No. They sound about the same. True stereo is on Steve's MBBB.

Long version with alternate vocals in fake stereo (mistake?).

Best sounding version is short stereo mix on Steve's MBBB.

The original MBBB LP also has the "alternate" Pictures Of Lily but the correct "original" Happy Jack.

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Well, it's nice to have this in print again anyway - but I'm sure glad to have a stone mint original.

Part of me hopes they do the US market Magic Bus album, only with the best sounding mixes!

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

What a weird hodgepodge that thing was.

Gardo and Ben Adams like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

In my opinion, on the Classic vinyl of A Quick One , yes. :agree:

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nope.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  9. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

When all is said and done, if someone wanted this album, would your recommended version be the Steve Hoffman one or perhaps to focus on proper albums?

10. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

My goodness, people are droppin' knowledge in here today.

I found a Decca copy with a MCA sticker on the spine a few weeks ago, clean as a whistle, only $3. I would consider buying the reissue if it didn't have fake stereo tracks.

Myke likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The SH CD is arguably an overall more pleasant listening experience, but Substitute doesn’t sound good and there are a few alternate versions and mixes.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  12. Electric Sydney

Will all this Who confusion ever get sorted out?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I wouldn’t bet on it.

JP Christian and Electric Sydney like this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

About a month after we die. :laugh:

luckyno13 and Ben Adams like this.
  15. Electric Sydney

Thanks, more than a small shame though.

16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm going to re-compile a personnel MBB&B set tonight using the best-sounding source material.

Hey Luke, would any of the HDtracks versions be considered "best" for a homespun MBB&B comp, in your opinion? Thx, Ron

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The tracks from My Generation are taken from an inferior copy tape, so no to those.

The mono Boris should be fine. Pinball Wizard should be fine. I Can See For Miles should be fine, but you'd have to do some editing to get a clean beginning and end.

Unless I'm missing something, Happy Jack, Pictures of Lily, The Seeker, Magic Bus, Substitute, and I'm A Boy aren't on HDtracks.

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yep. One of my brothers had it when I was a kid. First Who album I ever heard. I have it in one of those MCA 2fers, but my god, it sounds so so so bad.

Now that I have the Singles set, I guess I should be able to compile it digitally. It'd just be neat to have a good vinyl copy. Sentimentality on my part. I never find one in the used bins....

chacha likes this.
  19. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I'm still in complete disbelief that someone thought it acceptable to use 'reprocessed' stereo tracks on a modern release...

Even the all analogue 1962-66 Beatles LP from 2014 spliced in mono versions of the fake stereo tracks that were on the original before cutting the vinyl, ok, there were only two - this album has at least half a dozen - the only reason being, that was the norm with 1970's compilations albums - and that trend was well and truly dead by the end of the 70's - I'm sure that if they ever re-pressed the (UK only?) compilation - The Beach Boys 20 Golden Greats, I seriously doubt there would be an outcry if they didn't use the fake stereo versions of 'Do It Again' and 'I Can Hear Music'....

Gardo, dkmonroe, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

This is Astley we're talking about! Like I said earlier, he was probably over the moon that he got his hand on the original LP master - "This is what they want!"

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

JP Christian and aoxomoxoa like this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That was never advertised. At least with the Beatles Capitol album box sets, fans knew what they were in for.

lukpac likes this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Also, the "classic compilation album" was the songs, not the poor sounding fake stereo.

JP Christian, chacha and Tommyboy like this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This is a puzzling thread. People want a revisionist MBBAB.

This place never ceases to amaze.

Opeth and landerstnkb like this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Revisionist would be wanting the single versions of I'm A Boy and Magic Bus. I don't believe anyone has requested that or complained the alternate versions were used.

Expunging fake stereo and using the best possible sources is not revisionist.

25. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

No more revisionist than Steve's version, which is held in high regard, despite it being thrown together in a day.

Technically Steve's version could be improved upon since the original TWSMG masters (and other things) have surfaced since then. I think that's what people are discussing here.

If one was to re-create the original LP, they would have to use:

- edited "TKAA" (2010 SACD is best for complete master)
    - original "Happy Jack" (US WBWB)
    - alternate "Pictures Of Lily" (UK WBWB)
    - long, unedited "Magic Bus" (The Who Collection)
    - alternate "I'm A Boy" (2012 SHM)
    - mono "Boris" (2012 SHM)

Arguably, the versions of "Magic Bus" and "I'm A Boy" suck sonically and performance-wise, which is why one would argue that they should be replaced with the superior original versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.