The Who: Moving On- 2019 North American Tour / New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident Thread Starter

According with The Who’s Manager Bill Curbishley, the band will be recording a new album in 2019, as he told in a radio interview for the BBC.

Quote :

Appearing with host Shaun Keaveny, Curbishley said: “We’re gonna do an album… Pete [Townshend]’s written some really great songs. He gave us some demos a couple of months ago and I really think of those—he gave me 12 of them—eight of them are absolutely great for The Who. And he’s still writing and he’s got so much stuff, so I’m sure he’ll adapt some of that and we’ll get some more songs.”

Full article

The Who in 2019: New Album, Tour - Best Classic Bands

Sean, willwin, Thouston and 17 others like this.
  2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

If it’s good, cool.

3. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

If it's not good, that's cool too.

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I thought "Endless Wire" was a good album. Kind of a no one does The Who like The Who album. Grabbed a lot from various eras and sprinkled in some new ideas from Pete. I liked the concept and ideas.

Id be up for another Pete writing and Daltery interpretation of those lyrics. Look forward to hearing the new album if it occurs.

5. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I thought they were done with touring after the 50th anniversary. This is great news, I am looking forward to ALL OF IT!

6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Endless Wire was such a misfire, especially after "Old Red Wine" and "Real Good Looking Boy." More of that please, Peter.

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

My double-barreled response:

1 - Great news, bring it on
    2 - Believe it when it's in my hands

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I will believe it when I see it.

9. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I would be fairly excited about a new studio album if it were to actually happen (not holding my breath despite what Curbishley says), but have no desire to pay today’s outrageous price for a ticket to see ‘The Two’ live again - 2015 was the last time for me.

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Not sure I believe it

11. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

And 3... When I have a ticket for the show(s) I'll believe they are touring again.

I wonder if this is "Floss"? Pete's been banging on about it for what seems like a decade.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  12. I love The Who. They are an essential part of my childhood, as I can ultimately define my father through the band. They have been a major part of my adult life, as I also discovered them on my own wavelength. The Who are a brilliant, elemental force that has informed on me numerous times over. But all things must end. And it’s best when they end gracefully. I vehemently disagree with the numerous posters here that salivate over the prospect of mediocre Who. Where are you in life that you gleefully await average, forgetful songs simply because it has a brand-name slapped upon it? What could be more un-rock ‘n’ roll? What could be more antithetical to The Who?

What made The Who so great was its thunderous refusal to accept societal mediocrity. It’s why my father loved them. It’s why I love them until this day. It’s likely why most of you still appreciate these geniuses.

Don’t accept Endless Wire-level Who. If that album defined this band, you wouldn’t be a devotee in the first place.

Let them be. Don’t grasp at straws. Move on to new music, just like these blokes might’ve been excited to do back in the day.

No one knows what it’s like,

Bill

hifisoup, sami, vivalapsych and 28 others like this.
  13. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Great news! Problem is, i don't think Pete has written even one great song since White City. OK, maybe "God Speaks of Marty Robbins"

14. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

If this serves as an excuse for them to hit the road and NOT do Quad or Tommy again then I’m game. Their set list when I saw them at Forest Hills in 15’ was amazing.

Setlist
    1. I Can't Explain
    2. The Seeker
    3. Who Are You
    4. The Kids Are Alright
    5. I Can See for Miles
    6. My Generation
    7. Behind Blue Eyes
    8. Slip Kid
    9. Bargain
    10. Join Together
    11. You Better You Bet
    12. I'm One
    13. Love, Reign O'er Me
    14. Eminence Front
    15. Amazing Journey
    16. Sparks
      (with "Captain Walker" snippet from "Overture")
    17. Pinball Wizard
    18. See Me, Feel Me
    19. Baba O'Riley
    20. Won't Get Fooled Again

DavidD, bhazen, unclefred and 9 others like this.
  15. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Great, I loved Endless Wire. Doubt it'll actually happen, but we'll see.

16. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

I'm not that fussed for a new Who album to be honest, but absolutely yes to seeing them live again.

Certainly one of the best live bands I've ever seen, and I've been fortunate enough to have managed to take my son along to the last couple of Who gigs I saw, who now bloody loves them as well.

I thought that was to be my last chance to see them live, delighted to know that there may be a couple of gigs yet!

JumpinJimF likes this.
  17. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Yeah, this won't happen.

DrBeatle likes this.
  18. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I guess even as fans, we're all different. I'd prefer a "Tommy" tour. The recent DVD was superb. Townshend finds it hard, emotionally, to play it though. If it was another "hits" tour like your posted set I'd pass I've seen the hits enough times now (about 10 times including twice with the original band in 75 & 76).

19. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

New Who album? Impossible. However, a new album by The Two could be a nice listen.

20. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

I thought Endless Wire was pretty good too, obviously not Who's Next / Quad / Tommy but it sounded like the real deal. Better than It's Hard, Face Dances and portions of other albums.

If I recall correctly Roger's voice was suffering at the time of EW but if anything it's better now.

21. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Yes. Took my teenage kids to some of the Quad/Hits Fifty gigs and we all thought they were great.

Jet Age Eric and Hush like this.
  22. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Was not impressed with Endless Wire. Hoping they do something with a little hard edge to it like in the Who Are You vein (the song).

23. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I would understand doubt if Roger was saying this was in the works, but their manager, Bill Curbishley is releasing these statements to the press, on behalf of Roger & Pete. They ok'd the release, so why should there be any doubt?

24. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

If this happens, I hope it's more of a band recording than Endless Wire

25. Bill

Bill Senior Member

C
    The band died with Keith Moon. Down to a near-deaf guitarist and a vocalist whose surgically repaired voice is pretty well shot. A half of them died; the other two clearly got old. They were indisputably great. My favorite group, on record and live. Enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.