The Who: Moving On- 2019 North American Tour / New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Fair. But Tommy was released in March 1975. The Who managed to record/release Quadrophenia in 1973 and Who By Numbers in 1975. So it makes sense that they didn't release an album in '74 (considering that they were working on the Tommy movie/soundtrack, had a disastrous Quad tour in '73...they put out Odds and Sods in '74 though, so that kind of counts).

My confusion (and complaint) is more that they didn't put out a live album in 1972, 1976, or 1979/1980. Empty Glass could have been a Who album, and honestly, I'm surprised that it wasn't, considering that they played many of the songs live in 1979-1980.

In the case of 1972, at least they thought that they were going to put out a studio album (Rock Is Dead--Love Live Rock!), so I can kind of see why they weren't concerned about putting out a live album that year (although they could easily have put out the SF Civic Coliseum show from Dec 1971 or a 1972 concert out). But the spans from October 1975-August 1978 and also August 1978-March 1981 could have been broken up with live albums.

Matthew Tate and MPLRecords like this.
  2. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

The Kids Are Alright soundtrack in 79 was seen as a fairly comprehensive live release, however we might feel about it now. Live albums weren’t so ubiquitous in the 70s.

3. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

And they also had the Quadrophenia soundtrack in the same year. This was mainly work for Entwistle than anyone else, but again, both were cinematic releases. No new songs were written but it counts as both are albums for sale and movies for fans to go to the theater for. Rock stars putting out movies typically exhausts them, or sets them up for rehab later. :laugh:

4. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I forgot about The Kids Are Alright soundtrack honestly. It's "alright." I don't have an issue with it at all.

penguinzzz and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Well the Quadrophenia soundtrack had 3 unreleased/newly record songs.

I actually really like some of Entwistle's re-mixes on the Quad soundtrack. His "Love Reign O'er Me" from the soundtrack is really pleasant. It makes a nice "alternate" version.

6. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

They're sensational, aren't they. His tone is stunning and I love his arrogance of putting himself upfront as if to say "The original had me there, but this is where I reckon I should have been!".

Billy_Sunday, Ken, WhoTapes1 and 3 others like this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I like the bass work on the re-mixes but I detest the added orchestration on some of the songs. Absolute torture to my ears.

WhoTapes1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

I saw the Who at MSG in May. For those of you still on the fence about attending, I suggest you go. It exceeded expectations for me.

9. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I really like the orchestration on the soundtrack version of "LROM". I'm not a fan of how Entwistle reduced "Helpless Dancer" though.

10. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

What is happening with the new project? :pineapple:

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Towshend posted a Yaggerdang message yesterday, indicated that he is working on/ checking the mixes.

jlf and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  12. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  13. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

and to follow up .... my second WHO show was up in Vancouver BC .... but sadly I remember little about it (blame the "enhancements") but Pete's hand was now bandaged for a time ....

A few days later I'd drive all the way to the Los Angeles Coliseum for a third show (was on the road while my older sister was at the special TOMMY performance at Universal, later released on video) ....
    This tour was my first chance to see The Who, and I was on a mission .... Becoming a deadhead in '87 had introduced me to the concept of doing roadtrips to see multiple shows .... In fact, I had to miss the Dead (at what turned out to be their final Berkeley Greek shows) to see these WHO shows .

Obviously hindsight has not been so kind to the Who's 1989 tour but I was thrilled to bits to be seeing them at the time. No regrets !

14. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Not much is going on in this thread right now, so here's my Who's For Tennis? track listing:

Side A
    Glow Girl
    Faith In Something Bigger
    Little Billy
    Fortune Teller
    Dogs
    Jaguar
    Magic Bus

Side B
    Melancholia
    Joys
    Facts of Life
    Shakin’ All Over
    Glittering Girl
    Now I’m A Farmer

Singles:

Dogs/Calle Me Lightning (non-album track)

Magic Bus b/w Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (non-album track)

Little Billy b/w Melancholia

The only song that has been confirmed for this project was "Glow Girl", which Pete said would have opened it. Pete insinuated that "Faith In Something Bigger" would have been included as well. All other songs were recorded in 1968 (with the exception of "Glittering Girl" and "Jaguar", which are Sellout outtakes), so at least some of them very well could have/would have been included on Who's For Tennis?. Officially, "Now I'm A Farmer" was recorded in 1970, but there's some speculation that it was (at least partially) recorded in 1968 and then completed in 1970.

In the alternate Who reality where this album was released, I figured that the album was released in the summer of 1968 and the band were short a few songs, so they padded it with a few outtakes from The Who Sellout. Apparently "Jaguar" made it pretty far along on track listings for Sellout until Pete insisted on replacing it with "Sunshine" to impress his mother (much to Keith's disappointment), so I figured that they considered it release quality (although in my opinion it's not a great song). Apparently "Early Morning Cold Taxi" was also thought to be a strong contender for Sellout but it didn't make it onto the final cut because its true authorship was under question (I'm not sure why this mattered--they released "Armenia City in the Sky" on Sellout) so I figured that it wouldn't go on this album either. In my opinion, "Girl's Eyes" is just not a great song. That left "Glittering Girl", which seems less complete than "Girl's Eyes" but apparently Pete considered it potentially single worthy, so I threw that on here.

Obviously this cannot be completed as "Joys", "Facts of Life", and "Shakin All Over" haven't been released. If you wanted to create a playlist of this album you could replace those with "Early Morning Cold Taxi", "Girl's Eyes", and "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" or "Call Me Lightning".

I did place "Dogs" and "Jaguar" close together on purpose (animals!), and "Jaguar" and "Magic Bus" (odes to extraordinary vehicles). I also couldn't resist putting "Melancholia" and "Joys" together, but who knows if they would have flowed well (apparently not even The Who, as nobody seems to know what "Joys" is).

Playlist based on available songs:

Side A
    Glow Girl
    Faith In Something Bigger
    Little Billy
    Fortune Teller
    Dogs
    Jaguar
    Magic Bus

Side B
    Melancholia
    Early Morning Cold Taxi
    Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
    Girl's Eyes
    Glittering Girl
    Now I’m A Farmer

15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

And anyone who has heard the song.

16. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I think he also said that it was about his daughters coming-of-age and them being attracted to bad boys. So, in that case, the speaker is his daughter(s). But he’s also said some other stuff over the years that contradicted this.

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

18. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

19. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

The song being dedicated to The Sex Pistols in the album liner notes suggests the daughters/bad boys explanation.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Any new album news ?

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The promotional video suggests otherwise. :)

jethrowup likes this.
  22. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Pete’s been accused of many things over the last 55 years, but one thing he’s never been accused of is being consistent! ;)

The guy is not only a walking nose but a walking contradiction.

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Or watched the video.

Dog Ear and jethrowup like this.
  24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'll likely attend both NY shows in Sept. MSG and Jones Beach. The later, weather permitting.

Billy_Sunday and Two Sheds like this.
  25. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

I also think it's a shame that Pete chose to not tour behind Empty Glass in 1980. Considering the band he had going on for that record, the strength of those songs and the select Who songs he'd probably play.

Instead, he and The Who played their (pretty uninspired, unlike its 1979 counterpart) 1980 tour in the early part of the year and recorded Face Dances in the later part of the year.

I mean, take a look at the band he had going on:

John "Rabbit" Bundrick - keyboards, vocals
    Tony Butler - bass guitar
    Simon Phillips - drums, percussion

Andy Fairweather-Low - rhythm guitar, vocals (not actually on the record, but contributed to Who Are You, It's Hard and Psychodelerict, and Pete would need a rhythm player as he'd sing the whole gig)

Add to that some 7/8 choice cuts from Empty Glass, a couple from Rough Mix, as well as the Who songs he liked best (think Drowned, Tattoo, I Can See for Miles, and all those nice tracks), and you have one HELL of a gig. Better than playing boring Who gigs and recording a subpar Who record, that's for sure :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.