The Who: Moving On- 2019 North American Tour / New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I still haven't been able to hear the words clearly enough to have the slightest clue what the song is about.

jlf, johnny moondog 909 and zeppo1 like this.
  2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Wow, it felt ridiculous to like this post.

What an awful spade of bad luck.

Yes, a bit cliche. But you really do need to be lucky in Florida!

Wishing you the best of shows this time-:)

dee likes this.
  3. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks reb :)

reb likes this.
  4. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

If we get another new song, I predict it will be in the core-band slot, without the orchestra.
    These arrangements must be expensive to keep cranking out.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  5. Elliottmarx

Frankly, the joy of singing at the top of my lungs to Baba is more important than hearing Daltrey sing those lines. If he just led a giant singalong during that song for the rest of the tour it would be a poignant, communal way of ending the night.

GoodKitty, Fullbug, dee and 2 others like this.
  6. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

I've been trying to work this out too.

This is what I hear at the beginning of the second verse:
    "every rock star, wants to make a movie" (?)
    then something about "you pick me up and then you drop me" and something about liking "old time music"

Pete did say in NY that the title was inspired by his friend who helped write the book for Tommy on Broadway. He said his friend called Tommy a "Hero Ground Zero"

edit: The moderator on The Who official board said "HGZ is on the new Who album. It's also part of Pete's Age of Anxiety musical suite." So it most likely has to do with the rock star character listed in the synopsis for the book:

A former rock star disappears on the Cumberland moors. When his wife finds him, she discovers he has become a hermit and a painter of apocalyptic visions.

An art dealer has drug-induced visions of demonic faces swirling in a bedstead and soon his wife disappears, nowhere to be found.

A beautiful Irish girl, who has stabbed her father to death is determined to seduce her best friend's husband.

A young composer begins to experience aural hallucinations, expressions of the fear and anxiety of the people of London. He constructs a maze in his back garden.

Driven by passion and musical ambition, events spiral out of control-good drugs and bad drugs, loves lost and found, families broken apart and reunited.

Conceived jointly as an opera, The Age of Anxiety deals with mythic and operatic themes. Hallucinations and soundscapes haunt this novel, which on one level is an extended meditation on manic genius and the dark art of creativity.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Billy_Sunday, RayS and reb like this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm with ya on that but it is the orchestra that has a much bigger negatory effect on my interest in this tour (you could not pay me to go see "The Who" with an orchestra).

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  8. Randal_SS

Randal_SS Jammin' Econo

I hear you, but I was pleasantly surprised at the first-leg Buffalo show. The orchestra piece was far enough back in the mix to add to the music without being "local orchestra plays the music of The Who." I don't know how much of it was Pete/ budget/ whatever, but the accompaniment is integrated much better than it was on the recent "Daltrey Sings Tommy" tour. Of course, the downside with any orchestra is that it minimizes the opportunity for the band to stretch their legs on a song. But, that ship sailed long ago for these guys.

GoodKitty, slipkid and Ryan Lux like this.
  9. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

To me it's the first verse that's the worst offender, in terms of trying to make out the lyrics. But beyond that, it's also impossible for me to fully understand, where he's trying to go with the melody & phrasing of the first verse as well.. it might be great, I think it probably will be on the record. But without better fidelity, the opening verse makes no sense to me. Although later in the tune, he's locked in good, on all 3 of the live performances so far. The ending was nice, especially in New York at MSG. Imo.

Elliottmarx and RayS like this.
  10. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

How about adding an extra extra horn section to the mix to change your mind? Hey I'm just having a little fun, as I've seen your past posts and know how you feel about horns with rock music. :winkgrin:

slipkid likes this.
  11. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I went in July, had really nice seats, paid about 25 bucks for my ticket, and it was all good.

GoodKitty and The MEZ like this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I hear ya, and am glad you dug it, & you touched on a great point there, as far as why I would not dig them with an orchestra in addition to not liking that type of accompaniment in the first place in rock music, which is for me the highlight of live concerts is JAMMING. Having a band stretch out, go in unexpected ways, let the guitarist (Pete or course) take whatever flights of fancy he wants and the band as a unit "groove" and find new ways to go, sometimes for example throwing in off the cuff riffs from other songs (covers or otherwise) and getting that buzz/joy on stage as the bass/drums pick up on that etc and dialogs occur between those instruments - how can you do that with a 40 piece (or whatever) orchestra?? The answer is you can't. It is scripted, written out, etc....

Billy_Sunday and GoodKitty like this.
  13. 131east23

I get that. If you get a chance to see Peter Frampton on his farewell tour you should go. About as unscripted as it gets with older rockers these days. There was no opener when I saw him in July so he and his band played for 2.5 hours, and they just got into some nice grooves and jams.

GoodKitty and The MEZ like this.
  14. Elliottmarx

It can be done, but you are right - it is not being done on this tour, or frankly any rock band with an orchestra tour so far that I know of.

But if a lot of money (rehearsals, rehearsals, rehearsals) and the right ensemble (not pickup orchestras in every city) came together, yes indeed a sympathetic, always changing, always listening and adapting "jamming" orchestra could be made to happen.

Now that's not what The Who is doing, which is fine, I'm excited to be seeing them in October. I think it will be a great show.

I admire that you know what you want to see in a live performance and you can state so clearly without being inflammatory.

slipkid likes this.
  15. Elliottmarx

I've got tickets to see Frampton next month at the Forum. One of the few I've never caught live, I've been peeking at the setlist but have avoided YouTube clips. Should be a great show.

slipkid likes this.
  16. 131east23

It'll be real good! Enjoy...

Elliottmarx likes this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Awesome. I love Frampton, have seen him many times, wonderful guitarist & songwriter. Had no plans to see this tour though, but could change if he comes around here to a venue that I like (for example the Keswick Theater) & can fit it in my ridiculous work schedule.

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I would like to point out that the band is in dangerous territory. They are basically playing without a safety net. At anytime during the show, it could come to a sceeching halt. My observation is that Petes new guitar tech is not up to the task. Neither is the sound board man. Which has been evident over the past two shows. I give Townshend and Daltrey a lot of credit for having the balls to take on such a challenging and risky live presentation. There is a different orchestra at each show too. Kinda crazy imo to put on a tour like this, but they are seasoned professionals and so far have been able to overcome all the obstacles and glitches.

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Would be cool if someone connected to the band read your post and thought - 'WAIT! That gives me a cool idea! Let's add the song "Dangerous" to the setlist' :)

Dog Ear, Libertine and reb like this.
  20. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Joni Michell did it 20 years ago, hiring local orchestras, etc. But Joni wasn't expected to rock out like The Who, which probably complicates things somewhat.

Dog Ear likes this.
  21. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

In the never-ending chronicle of "Pete said on his Instagram":

someone asked the title of the new record, he replied it would be just one word.

Rumors are most likely true then, looks like the 2019 album from The Who will be called WHO.

MPLRecords and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

I know it's just the music that matters in the end, but dear God I wish this wasn't true. Such a dumb idea for an album name.

23. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I stand by my post a while ago with the title “Detours”.

But, then again, I could be wrong.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'll put my money on "One Word". Would fit with a wind-up sense of humor. :)

Dog Ear and kiff like this.
  25. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

GOD I HOPE YOU'RE RIGHT !!!

Speaking of which....during Pete's daily vlogs of the new album in May, or Feb whenever that was,. My observation & recollection is that we saw/heard more footage of the song Detour than anything else....I think of the 7-8 days of new album vlogs, Detour was the featured tune 3 times at least ???

This is prior to Roger singing of course...but I thought WOW Detour-the original band name, Zak bashing the drums in true WHO style, & strong early R&B groove, like a cross between the 65 My Generation album & Eminence front, just finger poppin good ! A great catchy chorus & lead vocal--& a great 'band' answer backing vocals !!! Singer goes " I hit a Detour -- or I need a Detour & the guys answer with a big block 'group" Detour !!!!!!

So I'd be veally, veally, veally surprised if it hasn't made the album....& Pete sounded great singing the rough, but I can almost hear Daltrey snarling & spitting out a terse edgy lead vocal, in my minds eye...his voice & that song are a match made in heaven.... I really like Hero Ground Zero & get why it's being hailed as a new latter day WHO anthem & Big Cigar ( Guantanamo) is a great WHO-meets I Am the Walrus meets P Floyd, with that tough Daltrey vocal, pounding band & wild cool orchestration, BUT Detour might be better than both of them !!! Its certainly more direct, simple, catchy, & easier to tap the foot, sing along to, I envision it as a future WHO classic being sung in 50 stadium concerts & a thousand pubs & juke boxes !!!

When Daltrey & Townshend have recently said how it's their best album since Quadrophenia, & then elevated that to best since Who's Next, & really just a plethora of positive feedback...the label loves it, Roger loves it, Bill Curbishly loves it, clearly Zak Loves it...many insiders have said how great the writing is..what a great happy thing this is..

So I thought, jeez, Mike Post Theme, It's Not Enough, Tea & Theatre, that's pretty good songwriting imo top shelf....the problem imo was no Zak, no band feel, no co producer...having heard the 3 new ones & bits of others & the demo for Sand....I think ( hope ) the songwriting is just as good probably better....and a lot of Endless Wire's un-Wholike sound I think has been corrected by including Zak & coproducer Dave Sardy....Pino Palladino good as he is on bass....has almost nothing in common with Entwistle or a WHO bass style, muddy thick Fender tone, no trebley sound, no trebly lead playing or busy motifs, just thwack thwack...But I can live with it...Who knows maybe Pete, Jon Button or someone else played on a couple tracks with more WHO sounding bass.....the creative bits of Zak playing padded hand mallets on a kick drum, & Townshend playing a bass harmonica like Join Together & a motif Rickenbacker 12 string, & Dave Sardy helping to sort through the editing, & structure drum parts, all the tedious stuff...

I'm convinced already it's their best album since WHO By Numbers in 75, maybe better than that ! Increddddddible !

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.