The Who: Moving On- 2019 North American Tour / New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

What A-list band has released a record of original songs this late in their career? A Bigger Bang was about 41 or 42 years into the Stones' career. That's the only one I can think of.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

How many A-list bands have (ongoing) careers that have lasted this long? -E

3. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

Stub hub has lots of $6 lawn tickets for alpine valley show

GoodKitty, Matthew Tate and Fullbug like this.
  4. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

There is not a wide field of bands that are still together - and the very idea of a near-democratic band basically started with The Beatles, The Stones, The Who and The Kinks. Only two remain. We will see if The Kinks ever reconvene.

5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Not a-many!

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  6. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Give The Flaming Lips another 20 years and they'll catch-up

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  7. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Not really A-listers.

Radiohead, Foo Fighters, and RHCP are A-listers.

Recent A-list rock bands are Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala, etc.

Fullbug likes this.
  8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Pearl Jam might last 50+ years..... I think they're as built to last as any.
    They turn 30 next year ......

9. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

In 20 years all recorded music will be on a microchip implanted in our brains.

10. Randal_SS

Randal_SS Jammin' Econo

And in whatever replaces today's internet, there will still be a place where people can argue about the relative merits of $500 RCA cables.

jlf, kiff, GoodKitty and 4 others like this.
  11. FrixFrixFrix

LOL at RHCP, maybe 20 years ago. Foo Fighters are still a good concert draw, but they've fizzled on record.

And Wayne Coyne will surely be the first to cover one in chocolate & glitter and sell it for RSD 2039.

InStepWithTheStars and Fullbug like this.
  12. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

What time does (do?) the who go on?

I may be at an upcoming stop but getting in late and want to be sure I can make i .

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Neil and Crazy Horse

Bruce and E Street (eventually)

Billy_Sunday, GoodKitty and Fullbug like this.
  14. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Stadium Arcadium was a massive album when it came out in 2006. It has like 5 radio hits. Their next two albums both resulted in a few big radio hits (Raindance Maggie, Dark Necessities) and they still play huge arena tours. Theyre one of the most popular rock bands still (I don’t even like them that much, but come on). A lot of their big hits (By The Way, Can’t Stop, Dani California, Snow, Tell Me Baby) have been more recent than 20 years ago.

I actually don’t like Foo Fighters at all, but they are still massively popular as far as rock bands go.

The new Tool album that just came out has been huge.

All of these bands are arguably more popular than The Flaming Lips.

15. FrixFrixFrix

If sales are the benchmark, then I guess Slipknot and Imagine Dragons are A-Listers, too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who knows how many of these bands will still be around in 20+ years, let alone still making records. But to FloydMaui’s earlier point, the answer is probably Pearl Jam. With 80% original members, at that!

16. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I'm not a fan of The Flaming Lips, but I got to give brownie points to Wayne Coyne for seeing The Who with Keith Moon. :agree:

GoodKitty and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  17. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Depending on which theory of memory you subscribe to, all the music you've listened to IS stored in your very own personal cranial organic storage array. Now, it might not match up to your favorite mastering and mix, and over time access might be problematic, but it's in there somewhere, deep within some fold of your brain.

Back on topic...I'm kinda sad to say that I probably won't see them this time around. First tour I've missed since Oakand '76. The main reason is ticket prices where I want to sit (first 12 rows on Pete's side) are out of my price range. These days I go to Who gigs just to watch Pete play, and being close is a requirement. Watching him on the screens from a seat further back just doesn't do it for me.

Tickets for where I'd want to sit are running at least $100 over my budget. I've splurged in the past and spent more than I wanted to, but not this time. Oh well, someone else will get the seat I coveted and have a good time.

18. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

That's a wonderful attitude, one that I share with you. I've had so many amazing opportunities in my life, and when a new one is out of reach (for financial or timing reasons) I don't pout - just simply hope that whomever is taking my place is having a great time.

Matthew Tate, GoodKitty and Fullbug like this.
  19. davers

davers Forum Resident

Cool that you've caught so many tours starting in '76.

Out of curiosity what were your favorite post-Moon tours? I was too young to see them with Moonie but my favorite of the many I've seen was the April '80 Seattle show.

Matthew Tate, GoodKitty and Fullbug like this.
  20. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Although I’d never say they are on the level of The Stones or The Who, but Killing Joke has been around for 40 years and are still releasing new studio albums every few years. And they’ve maintained a very high level of both original material and live performances.

Chris M and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I don't like either of those bands at all, but I'd say that they are A-listers. Certainly moreso than the Flaming Lips are.

I'm not talking about sales though but popularity in general.

I love Hawkwind. I would not say that Hawkwind were an A-list 70s band. I do not like AC/DC or Van Halen at all, but they were A-listers.

22. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Radiohead. RHCP. Both have been around since the 1980s (1985 and 1983, respectively). Both are still making albums and touring. They definitely have longevity.

GoodKitty likes this.
  23. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Here’s “Big Cigars” posted on their FB page.

24. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

Simply WHO could work. Depending on the sleeve design/artwork, etc... The band's name has been part of other album titles in the past so there's that. Having a bit of fun with WHO? as a question could be amusing seeing as how they are coming from a recording artists' black hole and putting out new material in the millennial age. The whole Tommy Smothers' ad lib introduction of the band was amusing when he toyed with the name.

GoodKitty likes this.
  25. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Gotta Love Pete. How many artists would admit to their fans that they’re not at their best on a given night, with a big laugh no less?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.