The Who - My Generation & A Quick One

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

A couple of notes. First, the LA Times recently posted a blurb about My Generation:

http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Calendar-X!ArticleDetail-63683,00.html

And some corrections (from my friend Rich):

There's also A Quick One news, also from Rich:

Unfortunately, I believe Jon Astley is doing the AQO mastering, so all of Rich's work (he's been hounding The Who camp for 7 years to re-do AQO in stereo) might essentially be for nothing. We'll see soon.

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Luke,

Good post and thanks for the updated information!

Bob

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Luke, thanks for the info. I may have missed this in a previous thread but are they planning on releasing 'My Generation' on vinyl and SACD also?

Todd

4. lukpac

I've heard stuff about SACD, but nothing concrete. I haven't heard anything about vinyl.

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Thanks, Luke!

Todd

6. peter

peter Senior Member

Luke:

Will this new Who My Generation CD feature the original UK track listing in mono as well as the newly remixed stereo, or just stereo?
    I went ahead and bough the old US "The Who Sings My Generation" CD just in case the new one is all stereo. Tired of getting burned with these new releases, especially given all the info I've learned on this site about various releases.

P.S. Also picked up a Canadian Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy Cd. You and Hoffman are correct--sounds great.

Peter

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Wish I'd kept my old Polydor AQO mono CD.:(

8. lukpac

Just stereo. One or two of the bonus tracks *might* be mono, but other than that, all of the main cuts and all of the unreleased stuff will be in stereo.

9. lukpac

Why, exactly? I mean, I've got a copy just because I'm a Who nut, but it's rare that I listen to it. Then again, I don't really listen to *any* of the commercial CDs of that album.

10. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Senior Member

What they should do it release a cd of the stereo AND mono mixes on one disc mastered by someone with a brain in his head. What we'll get is a new master with noise reduction and digital distortion. I have a feeling it will be **** with a capital S.

11. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Well, Shel's doing it himself, so the above shouldn't occur.

-D

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Luke, I'd like to hear your best guess at w/ the 6 bonus tracks will be? Aren't there some Who collectors that actually got a chance to hear the tapes? Do you think it will be alternate takes, Out in the Street w/ different gtr overdubs, some mono mixes from the 3 tracks? Are any of the alternate takes very different than the released ones? I'm pretty excited about this. I can't wait to hear Moon's drums in stereo on Kids Are Alright and My Generation.

Chris

13. peter

peter Senior Member

Thanks Luke. And glad to know I made the right decision in getting the old one, cause it's all pure MONO, just the way I like it. And speaking of un-commercial CD's, I just picked up the German Rolling Stones "Flowers" digipak as well as Beatles "A Doll's House". Unbelievably good, both of them. Personally, I like all those German Stones digi-pak CD's. It will be interesting to compare them with the 1980's London Stones CD's and the new SACD's.

By the way, I just ordered a new vinyl re-pressing of the My Generation LP from Music Direct. I almost never look on their web-site, but am I glad I did today. It was 19.99 and the staff member I spoke with said it came with bonus tracks and it was on the Brunswick label!! I'll get it Friday.

Finally, I also got an almost mint UK stereo yellow/black PARLOPHONE Beatles Help! LP this week-end. This is my first y/b stereo original, although I do have a full set of monos. I've played a few cuts and while it seems a bit better than a 1970's black/silver one, it is not that much better, certainly not enough to justify the prices one usually sees for these LP's. I only paid $35.00 so it wasn't too bad, but I'd like comments on the UK y/b stereo LP's vs. their 1970's counterparts.

Thanks to all. I really like this group!

14. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Simple. At least the old version was 100% mono, not a mish-mash of stereo, mono and rechanneled like the current one. Shelling out 15 bucks for one alternate mix ("Run, Run, Run") was not wise on my part, but it was remastered. BFD.

15. lukpac

I think the bonus tracks are still under wraps, so I won't mention anything too specific, but personally I'm not very impressed with the selection. My friend who's heard most/all of the stuff on the tapes (albeit in mono) has said that there's more interesting stuff that they're not using.

I will say at this time: no mono mixes (well, one might be mono since they are probably only using 1 of the 3 tracks), no Out In The Street. It's possible things will change, but I think at this time they've pretty much picked what they're going to use. I'll let you know more when I know it's "safe" to let this stuff out.

On the plus side, of those 24 tracks, only 6 have ever been issued in stereo, and 1 is unreleased (Instant Party, NOT to be confused with Circles (Instant Party)). I really think this is something to look forward to...

16. lukpac

Hmm...while I don't have any of those Stones digipacks, I did hear (IIRC) Hitch Hike from the Out Of Our Heads CD. Sounded just like the ABKCO CD (ie, bad). So much for "improved sources"...

Hmm...that sounds like a bootleg to me.

17. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Senior Member

I was talking about A Quick One.

18. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

FYI, the first U.K. issue of the "My Generation" LP was on the Brunswick label (LAT8616) so I guess the new vinyl issue is trying to reflect the orginal release in overall looks. Sounds like it isn't a boot.

19. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Re the Stones digipacks (and, in fact, everything put out by that company):

Most of it is lousy. It sucks that THAT is the only label to realize the value of putting out rare mono mixes on CD, because most of the time they manage to screw it up. Over-NR, skips, digital glitches...and, in the case of the Stones digipacks (Big Hits, et cetera), using easy-to-find CD sources.

20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I was just in a record store that had the LP and CD on hand. Although both are professionally produced there is no doubt in my mind that they are boots. I think the tell tale sign on the LP was the Decca and Clarifoil cover ( and the cover is not laminated) credits. Additionally Decca/Polygram/Universal does not have rights to some of the tracks on there (ie. the Great Shakes Commercial).

21. lukpac

Yeah...I can't speak for the LP, but any current CD that has the UK artwork is a bootleg. I've seen a few of them recently. The old MCA CD uses the US artwork and title. Of course, the reissue will use the UK art and title, but that hasn't been released yet.

I could be wrong, but I find it pretty hard to believe that Universal would release a new LP issue of My Generation if the remix is just around the corner.

22. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I've had the new "My Generation" UK LP you are talking about for a few weeks.
    I can't swear it is a boot, but since the cover looks and feels like a boot and the LP sounds like a boot , it probably IS a boot.
    BC

23. LAKER BOB

LAKER BOB New Member

FOund this web page, which claims it will be a SACD release and also list the tracks.

Shel Talmy Productions - Original "The Who" Master Tapes

1. Anyhow, Anyway, Anywhere, 2. Anytime You Want Me, 3. Bald Headed Woman, 4. Circles, 5. Daddy Rolling Stone, 6. Heat Wave, 7. I Can't Explain, 8. I Don't Mind, 9. I'm a Man, 10. Instant Party Mixture, 11. It's Not True, 2. Leaving Here, 13. Legal Matters, 14. Lies, 15. Lubie, 16. Motor-vating (Motoring), 17. Much Too Much, 18. My Generation, 19. Please Please, 20. Shout and Shimmy, 21. The Good's Gone, 22. The Kids Are Alright, 23. The Ox, 24. You're Going To Know Me (Out in the Street)

24. LAKER BOB

LAKER BOB New Member

25. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

First of all - interesting you mention that Who LP, I'd started another thread about that. It does appear to be a bootleg, certainly none of the dealers I've spoken to know anything about an office re-release.

Secondly - re Beatles y/b original LP's vs the 1970s reissues. Inevitably the y/b originals are going to sound better but, like you say, probably not enough to justify the high prices these LP's are now commanding in the marketplace - unless you are a serious collector of course. Bear in mind though that the prices you'd expect to pay for original Beatles LP's is more a reflection of their collectable status, not because of their better sound quality.

As SH would attest, it's down to the mastering. In the 60s those LP's would have been mastered using analogue tube-cut gear (apparently the Beatles For Sale original has a sound to die for!) The solid state mastering was introduced in the early 70s.

I have a number of early 70s UK Beatles repressings and also a couple of the BC13 "blue box" sets. The BC13 set from the late 70s is actually one of the most cost-effective ways of getting your hands on a complete set of the original UK LP's. The MoFi box is worth hunting down as well - the LP's in that box (with the possible exception of Magical Mystery Tour) also offer a sonic improvement - albeit not major - over the UK pressings.

The BC13 can be had for reasonable money (£200 ~ $150) or less and there are many around in Mint or Near Mint condition. EMI didn't withdraw the set until 1988/89 - one of the sets I own has barcoded sleeves, dates from about 1986/87 - so there are plenty around if you look. I know Brent at Griffco had a couple in stock when I spoke to him last.

The final word: Those 1970s UK re-pressings are very respectable and certainly a lot better than the currently available CD equivalents which are -for the most part - unlistenable dirge. I played the Revolver CD at the weekend and switched it off half way through - instead I dug out a vinyl copy from the BC13 and the difference was like night and day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.