The Who - My Generation Super Deluxe Edition box set coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Sep 13, 2016.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They've already done SDEs for Leeds, Quadrophenia, and Tommy, so it seems unlikely "starting from the beginning" is the reason.

2. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Can't wait for second super deluxe of Tommy! Lol

KinkySmallFace1991 and lukpac like this.
  3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Well then, what WOULD be the reason? Roger likes his "James Brown" voice best? Pete likes his early originals better than later-day stuff? And what would keep them from re-visiting other Deluxe Sets in the future? Maybe "they" found enough "new" material in the last few years to merit such work? Maybe "they" think individual album sets would sell better than a stand-alone 4/5 CD career-encompassing Box Set. I know I've thrown in a lot of "maybe's", but there must be some justifiable reason THIS album is getting the special treatment. Ron

PS Couldn't a future version of Tommy include, for instance, the complete Amsterdam show as a bonus?

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It certainly didn't sound like it.

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

A darned shame

dee likes this.
  6. brainwashed

Maybe a set that sounds great and includes MORE stuff. There must be additional outtakes available. Hell, include Rob Cooper's or Lukpac's fan mix of Young Man Blues. And like I mentioned, include a new Complete Tommy show. Amsterdam, New York... or something found in the vaults. It's not like the previous Deluxe Set was faultless. Ron

7. brainwashed

Who said this? An official spokesperson? Website? Who? I'd think you'd be amongst the most interested in getting ANYTHING new or upgraded. Perhaps I'm wrong. Ron

8. hallucalation

But it is not the reason to release it again.

9. brainwashed

Why not? Why can Jethro Tull issue remasters and remixes as 25th and 40th anniversary sets? Better-sounding tapes, including brand-new 5.1 remixes, finding a few more outtakes or rehearsals. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not have to spring for a mega set once a decade, but it's sort of how things go in the music industry these days. The Elvis catalogue is ALWAYS going through such a process. Two CD Legacy Deluxe sets and more comprehensive sets from the FTD label. And it still begs the question as to why My Generation is getting the all-encompassing treatment. Surely an expanded Tommy or Who Are You, or Quad would sell more because they are more popular. People will buy and re-buy their favorite albums, especially if there's something new included. Ron

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Birth Of The Who-

I suppose this is the reason why. They've already set the stage.

BBC Playlists - The Birth of The Who ยป

11. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Circling back, then? :p -E

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's Time Is Passing, for Who's Next/Lifehouse.

I have done needledrops of YMB, though, which are better than the one used on the SDE.

The guy who masters this stuff.

I have no interest in the stereo remixes, and the mono mixes have been coming from the same 24/96 transfer made in 2005, so there's nothing to get excited about there. Demos may be nice.

Matthew B. and noahjld like this.
  13. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I blame Roger Daltrey.

14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

^
    They could easily produce another Tommy SDE without resorting to studio recordings.

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

People are saying there doesn't appear to be enough material to fill five audio CDs. Your hypothetical includes a DVD.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

You seem to be proceeding from the assumption that there is a lot of thought being given to what they reissue, and that there is some sort of strategy/master plan. Based on what we know and have seen historically from The Who, that isn't the case. The rationale for this release could be something as simple as "we spent some money recording new overdubs and so we want them to have wider release." Or simply "why not?"

St. Troy and lukpac like this.
  17. brainwashed

Fair enough and of course I was thinking of Time Is Passing, though I'm not surprised that your needledrops of Young Man Blues are better than what's been released. Not to belabor the point, but you have NO interest in new sets if something new or rare is included or upgraded? Certainly the stereo remixes and mono mixes COULD be enhanced from the 2005 transfers. You're on record as pointing out all of the gremilns, dropouts, mistakes from most of the preceding sets. As for the future, it's entirely possible that 5.1 discreet remixes could be done for some of the albums. Of course, quality live recordings can always be used to augment any future SDE as well. Now, if all we get is the "same ol' thing" spread out over 5 discs, then we all know this is nothing but a money grab and I'd be glad to post openly about my dismay if this happens. You seem to indicate nothing of interest will be released before you know the contents. If you're privy to information about the contents I'll be happy to shutup and tip my proverbial hat to you. Ron

18. turnersmemo

turnersmemo Forum Resident

Latest news just in: :goodie:

My Generation Super Deluxe Box Set

Celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Who's classic hit single My Generation, Universal UK is proud to present a super deluxe box set containing 43 studio and live versions of this song, of which 24 are previously unrealeased.
    Remixed and remastered to meet modern standards by Jon Astley. A dream come true for the serious Who collector!

Disc 1 (CD)
    01. Pete Townsend Demo 1965 (2:48)*
    02. Mono Single Version 1965 (3:18)
    03. BBC Radio One Jingle 1965 (0:57)
    04. Stereo Album Version 1965 (3:18)
    05. Instrumental Version 1965 (3:18)
    06. A Cappella Mix 1965 (2:32)*
    07. Aeolian Hall 1965 (3:23)
    08. Ready Steady Who 1966 (3:17)
    09. Live Issy-les-Moulineaux 1966 (3:52)*
    10. Live At The Marquee Club 1967 (3:37)*
    11. The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour 1967 (4:32)
    12. Live At Monterey 1967 (4:32)
    13. Live At The Fillmore East 1968 (9:26)*
    14. Live At Woodstock 1969 (8:45)*

Disc 2 (CD)
    01. Live At Hull 1969 (15:24)
    02. Live At Leeds 1969 (15:46)
    03. Live At The Isle of Wight 1970 (7:15)
    04. Live At The Young Vic 1971 (2:58)
    05. Grand Gala Du Pop 1973 (6:58)*
    06. Live At The Spectrum 1973 (7:09)*
    07. Live At Charlton 1974 (9:45)
    08. Live At Swansea 1976 (8:32)*

Disc 3 (CD)
    01. Live At The Grugahalle 1980 (3:43)*
    02. Live At Shea Stadium 1982 (3:23)*
    03. Live In Toronto 1982 (2:48)
    04. Soundcheck Radio City Music Hall 1989 (4:49)*
    05. Live At Shephards Bush 1999 (9:20)
    06. Live At The Royal Albert Hall 2000 (5:30)
    07. Live At Leeds 2006 (5:41)
    08. Rehearsel Super Bowl 2010 (4:14)*
    09. Live At Hyde Park 2015 (4:22)
    10. New Studio Recording 2016 (5:15)*

Disc 4 (CD)
    New backing track recorded by The Who (tour band) in 2016, with guest lead vocals by 11 of todays greatest rock "n" roll singers:
    01. Lead vocal: Axl Rose (5:19)*
    02. Lead vocal: Kid Rock (5:11)*
    03. Lead vocal: Lenny Kravitz (5:05)*
    04. Lead vocal: Gavin Rossdale (5:14)*
    05. Lead vocal: Jake Bugg (5:12)*
    06. Lead vocal: Fred Durst(5:11)*
    07. Lead vocal: Billy Joe Armstrong (5:18)*
    08. Lead vocal: Deryck Whibley (5:12)*
    09. Lead vocal: Ozzy & Kelly Osbourne (5:13)*
    10. Lead vocal: Dave Grohl (5:26)*

Disc 5: Vinyl Single
    01. Stereo Version (with 2014 Guitar overdub)
    02. Remix (Feat. Kanye West)*

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There are no issues with any of the recent mono releases, other than the master of Circles.

The stereo remix was just done a couple of years ago, so I wouldn't expect that it would be any different.

The demos might be nice, but it seems unfortunate that one may have to purchase a big box set for one disc (?) of demos.

Now, if a proper stereo reissue of A Quick One was produced, I'd be a bit more excited. But I don't expect that will ever happen.

20. brainwashed

That works for me, IF something of merit is behind the decision. A simple money grab with little regard to patrons would be a travesty. We don't know the reasoning behind this that's for sure. A career-spanning box set was announced more than two years. The label went so far as to encourage fans worldwide to submit tapes for inclusion (I know, I know). Now out of left field comes THIS announced set. No whispers about it, nothing. Didn't Roger just say that he has no interest in releasing ANY Archival sets. That they ripoff the artists. And weeks later we get.... a 4 or 5 CD My Generation Super Deluxe! How strange. Ron

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

No, he did not. He said he had no interest in recording new Who material because he didn't think it would be profitable. There was an article in NME that took those comments and falsely implied he was talking about "unreleased music" (ie, archival releases) but that was not the case.

St. Troy, dee and lukpac like this.
  22. brainwashed

Hell, if we got an entire disc of Pete demos I'd be highly interested. When I say you've had issues with more recent sets I'm not referring to My Generation only. I'm talking in total. If, and there's that word again, IF, there's some reasonable decision to offer better and enhanced sets with new, rare and alternate recordings, along with the best possible stereo and mono mixes, what would be wrong with that? If things remain status quo and we get a set with nothing new, or two "new" demos or outtakes and are forced to buy a mega set to get them, then sure, it's the same ol' deal. Ron

23. brainwashed

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know the NME commented incorrectly on his quotes. Ron

24. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Is this a joke???

Lownote30, ashlee5, J_D__ and 3 others like this.
  25. hallucalation

No. I already pre-ordered copy for myself and for a couple of friends as christmas gift. The most exciting release ever since Beach Boys Smile.

turnersmemo, mestreech and Bonddm like this.