The Who My Generation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Well, the Phases version isn't horrible. In fact, it's pretty good.
    If it indeed was a flat transfer from the LP master, the cd may not sound bad.

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Was the original master available in 1980 when the Phases copy tape was made? I thought it was in Talmy's possession at that point and they couldn't use it. Which would make the Phases tape a copy of a copy.

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Indeed, the original Talmy mono mixes were first banded together as a master when the Classic LP was done.

4. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

There's a site that has a picture of the tape box used for this new cd and it is dated 1980. It says that the tape is a copy made from the original master and is from Universal's library. It says that it has been baked and remastered (which conflicts with the report given to Whitefang) - it says the tape definately was not remastered by Jon Astley, but they're not sure who actually has remastered it at this point.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I saw the picture. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't say anything in the photo or the accompanying posting about the tape being a copy of the original master. It is a copy tape made in 1980, but the source is not identified. And my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the original master tape was not available for copying in 1980. Which would make this at best a second-generation copy.

lukpac likes this.
  6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why is that "all [you] need to see"? The latest Astley remaster is essentially a flat transfer of the masters. Specifically, the digitally transfers were done during production of the Classic LP; the latest CD has very little processing.

On the other hand, it appears this CD will be at least 2 generations removed from the masters.

It's possible that it will be a flat transfer of the tapes in question, but "not be mastered at all" is not really correct. The analog tapes still have to be played back and transferred to digital.

The tape box doesn't make any mention of "original master", just that it is a copy.

See above for "remastered".

Right. Presumably MCA or The Who had a set of production masters (copies of Talmy's original mono mixes), which were then copied for these tapes. It seems likely these copies were probably made for Phases, although it is unclear who "Simon Valley" is.

7. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

What a freeking mess!

I've still ordered one though. The two 2CD (so-called) stereo deluxe version is just horrible to my ears and, whatever the source, this mono release has to be better than that. For a fiver I'm not complaining too much.

8. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

Most of Mr. Astley's Who remasters which I have heard are dynamically squashed and consequentially very frustrating for me to listen to. This is why I am encourage by the fact that he didn't have the opportunity to compromise the sound on this release.

If this tape copy is 2 generations removed from the master then I must admit that is a concern.

I am curious about the "flat transfer" CD you mentioned, because I was unaware of it. I'm going to have to look for more info.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Just about everything he has done in the past year or two has little to no limiting/compression.

Shel Talmy retained the mono masters; they were not handed over until a deal was struck prior to the Deluxe Edition. At best that tape pictured would be a copy of a copy made from Talmy's masters. It's possible it was further away than that.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICY-94802

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Why wouldn't Universal Music just use the mono masters? Am I misssing something? Since it now possesses the master tapes, there shouldn't be any legal problems?

I have the SHM mono/stereo CD (Non-SACD) that was issued a few months ago. It sounds fine to me. I don't see how this new CD will better the SHM version.

I'm relatively new to collecting the Who and find it hard to keep track of all of these reissues and compilations.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's a question we've all been trying to figure out.

It seems somewhat absurd that they simply didn't copy the latest Japanese mastering.

12. Robobrewer

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 2008 box uses the same sources but is limited a fair amount. The 2012 set contains little or no limiting.

Same track lineup but different mastering.

15. Robobrewer

I wonder why the latest mono remaster is only available as a Japanese release. It seems odd to me that there are no comparable releases in the UK and US.

16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

This strikes me as the latest in a endless series of breathless announcements of new and allegedly improved reissues of classic albums (e.g., Who's Next) that prove to be no better, and often worse, than what we already have in our collections. Squeeze a bit more toothpaste out of that tube!
    I'll pass, but thanks.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There have been countless Japanese only releases over the past few years, both for The Who and many other bands. The My Generation set is not in any way unique.

Who's Next? The most recent release is the SHM-SACD, which has met near universal praise.

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I'm thinking more about the MFSL version, the Deluxe version, the MCA Gold version, the MCA heavy vinyl one, the Universal black to black vinyl...etc., which all pale in comparision to the one mastered by our host that came out twenty years ago. And, with all respect to those who rave about the SHM-SACD, $50+ is a bit rich for many of our blood(s).

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

20. Bill

Bill Senior Member

This makes sense for the Starbucks crowd. If you're willing to drop four bucks for a "handcrafted beverage" (a cup of coffee), why not get drop thirteen for another totally redundant Who greatest hits CD? As long as it, too, is handcrafted.
    Well played, Universal. Can't wait for the $100 Japanese SACD version, brickwalled and made from fourth generation tapes.
    Meet the new boss....

nicotinecaffeine likes this.
  21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Yes, these Starbucks people can now indulge into conversations about the Who and about how they know more than the CSI hits, with songs like "Our Love Was" and how they know their name before they were the Who with a weird song about being a face. :help:

22. So if we remove this upcoming mono release of 'My Generation' from the equation - because nobody has heard it yet - what is the best sounding 'My Generation'? The Japanese SHM-SACD, SHM-CD?

23. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

I have the two disc version with stereo and some mono and about ten or twelve songs left off the original album, and I cant see why anybody needs a different version than that one, I dont know who did the mastering, I think Shel Talmey was involved and it came out around ten years ago, just super nice liner notes, mono stero, outtkes, just fantastic, the reissued Quick One Doesnt hold a candle to it, which is strange, becuase they had lots of extra material, and the WHO Sell out reissues are also brilliant

24. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

+1! I was surprised with the strength of the bonus material considering it was from the infancy of their recording careers. If somehow a version came out with outrageously superior sound, I might get it, but I would still hold on to this release.

25. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Same here as I have never owned this album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.