The Who My Generation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just listened to 'The Ox' at 1:36 and 1:54. I agree, sounds to me like it's clicking drum sticks. There's more examples throughout the song.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but already having the JPN 2 CD set taken from the masters, this doesn't interest me in the slightest, even if it is cheap. If somebody wants to send me a copy, I guess I won't object, but...

It's almost like this was something that was going to be released in 1986, got shelved, and then somebody found it in 2012 and said "hey, let's issue this!" Hard to come up with a better explanation.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

P.S. The MCA old mono version is Steve Hoffman mastered from the tapes sent to American Decca for the old mono LP release. It sounds superb to my ears and has the tonality of a US Decca original. A safe buy!

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It is? This is the first I've ever heard that suggested.

5. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Really? Are you talking about the pink disc version?

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I stand corrected about the SH mastering. But the old Pink Mono MCA CD still sounds most like the original Decca Mono LP. The rechanneled Stereo LP master was used on the first MCA CD.

7. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

That's fair enough, but I thought it may be of interest to those who were considering buying it.

If nothing else it's worth discussing because of its flaws, especially when you take into account this is the first time the album in its original 1965 format has been available outside of Japan as a regular release since the Virgin Records LP/cassette of 1979.

I have a similar feeling.

8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I don't know what happened to the more recent tnread, but this: who10001.JPG

St. Troy likes this.
  9. Stumbled across this CD on Amazon a few months back and hadn't heard anything about its release. I already had The Who Sings My Generation (MCAD-31330 blue spine), but bought the new one to hear what it sounds like. Slightly different (UK) track listing, and sounded to my ears pretty similar to what I already had, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned on here yet is a slight glitch that happens around 50 seconds into The Kids Are Alright where it sounds like some trebly hihat-like sound appears in the left channel for a fraction of a second. This doesn't happen on my old MCA one. Probably wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't listening on headphones. I haven't listened to the rest of it on headphones, so I don't know if this glitch is a recurring feature. All in though it sounds fine to me, and if I didn't have the MCA one, I would definitely be happy to own this CD over the 2003 Deluxe Edition remixed version.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I haven't heard the recent disc either, but presumably the most recent Japanese release, from the masters, is pretty close to definitive.

11. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Could it be the newer disc of "The Who Sings My Generation" is the mono mix while the older MCA disc (not pink face, but silver face with black print) is the fake stereo version?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The later pressings of TWSMG (both Canadian and pink faced US) are definitely mono. I've never heard an original CD.

13. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

I have what I think is an original issue (MCAD-31330, silver face, blue spine, matrix: MACD31330 A60603Bb, barcode: 076743133022) and it's fake stereo. Is the fake stereo still in print or do you know if the issues being sold new (i.e. at Amazon.com) are the mono issues?

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As above, it's been the mono version for a long time. I would guess at least 20 years.

15. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I found one of these in the used bins today - shocked to see a pink cd - sounds great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.