The Who: Moving On- 2019 North American Tour / New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chop

Chop Forum Resident

I totally get all the arguments against them doing another record. "It's not the same, half the band are gone, let it rest, etc."

But what I remember most when I heard Endless Wire for the first time was, "It's really nice to hear some new Townshend songs." There are def some good tunes on there.

If he'd rather put out new work as The Who instead of solo - I'll take it.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The forum is certainly moving forward. We've gone from "Don't listen to this music that I haven't even heard yet" to "Don't listen to this music that hasn't even been recorded yet".

News flash: Anyone with any interest in what currently constitutes The Who knows how many members are still alive. They've also heard "Endless Wire" (and many miraculously enjoy it). I don't care when The Who "ended" for anyone else. And if this was a "When Did The Who End For You?" thread that information would be relevant (although I wouldn't waste my time reading that thread). This is a thread about those two guys and the music they may or not make in 2019. Why people feel the need to trot out the same tired (exhausted at this point) statements all over again, I do not understand. Your opinion has been registered, thanks. Enough.

JeffreyB, sbeaupre, nedison and 41 others like this.
  3. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Believe me, I would be thrilled if they did release an album -- I want it and hope if it happens that it's fantastic. But all indications over the past decade are that Pete is dried up as a songwriter, and I would be surprised (pleasantly so) if he delivered a full album of songs for The Who. Curbishley says that Pete has 8 songs that would be great for The Who, and that he's writing more. Hope so. I will believe it when I see and hear it.

There were a lot of murmurs from them about new albums throughout the late '90s and early '00s when Entwistle was still with us, and that never panned out. It started to feel a little like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. With one complete Who album in the past 37 years, and Pete and Rog both in their mid-70s, I am just not holding my breath that this'll happen.

warewolf95 and Dave Armstrong like this.
  4. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I didn't like Endless Wire. I Won't Get Fooled Again.:realmad:

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's like when a Stones conversation turns to I like Taylor era better than Wood.

I saw the Who last time with John at Hollywood Bowl. First time I ever saw them play "The Kids are Alright", and it was beautiful.

Met Townshend a couple of times and he was great chatty and asked me a ton of musical questions before he would answer any. How fun!

6. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident Thread Starter

+1

Michael Rose likes this.
  7. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Long live rock 'n roll !!!

I loved the Endless Wire ( deluxe edition ), & thought it was a great swan-song for the band.

I'm glad to be wrong, so bring it on boys !!!

8. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey guys, if Pete Townshend want to writes new songs and want to record them with Roger as The Who, that’s a gift from nature. Is a good thing, a positive thing. They are alive and want to make new songs. That doesn’t hurt anyone i think. I don’t understand why some people are angry with this kind of news. For me, is the perfect way to finish a great career.

9. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Well then I guess that settles it. :rolleyes:

There has never been a thread on this forum that discussed The Who's post-1978 career that wasn't rife with these needless posts.

Keith Moon is not only my favorite member of The Who, but my favorite drummer and one of my musical heroes. He died. Nothing Pete or Roger can do about that. I happen to enjoy the music they made after he was gone, and I like much of Endless Wire, too, for that matter. It really is too bad that you're too stubborn to get past those hurdles and actually enjoy what we have left of them. It's only rock and roll.

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It's more like the "they should have hung it up after exile" comments.

11. For my money The Who without the four of them is not and has never been The Who. It was never a group you could take one member away from and then carry on. They were such a tight unit. Ditto Led Zep. Townshend and Daltrey should record as such rather than under The Who name.

Dave Armstrong, Rfreeman and Jimmy B. like this.
  12. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Has Jimmy Page made any offical announcement about playing on this?

Sherman, hifisoup, PIGGIES and 6 others like this.
  13. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

My hope is that this album is the culmination of the Floss project Pete has been working on - a Rock Opera on the 50th anniversary of Tommy?

The reality will be more like a collection of bits and pieces of the standard of "Be Lucky"; ordinary by the standards of the original band, but passable for 2 guys in their 70s. "Certified Rose" featuring JAE must be included along with anything else he completed with Pete and Roger in '02. Maybe this is a chance to also put to bed the idea that was mooted for the covers album a while back, but I can't see Pete (or Rog for that matter) passing on the opportunity for some publishing.......

Live shows? Not for me I'm afraid. Even new material would have me struggling to justify today's ticket prices........then having to wade through the sea of mobile devices being used and the pathetic "we are the mods" chants.......

quicksrt and Dave Armstrong like this.
  14. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Well, hopefully they'll see your post and take your advice.

15. Nah - there's more money in calling yourself The Who.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  16. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

If My Generation, A Quick One, By Numbers (now a fave), Who Are You (a record I enjoy) or Face Dances (still largely a piece of crap) defined them, I wouldn't be a devotee. By your definition--in my book--they never should started or should've quit a lot sooner, and each record must be their best. They made Quadrophenia; there's nowhere to go but down--and that's true of every band on the planet--unless you allow yourself (or others) room to just ENJOY music at different levels (i.e., amazing to nice).

I thought EW salvaged the brand after those two leaden tracks. :( Nothing like these, "It's Not Enough" or "Black Widow's Eyes" >shudder< please. -E

17. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Bingo. And I just don't get the notion of a fan trying to say that an artist should stop maximizing profits just because two of their bandmates couldn't take control of their lives. You're effectively saying that because Keith popped too many pills 40 years ago, Roger should take the more honorable route and just make far less money. Keith didn't show Roger the same respect, y'know??

18. Fair point. But for me no Keith no Who.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  19. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

They want to have a new album out in 2019? I'm all for it. It's a different world from even when Endless Wire was released - a 2019 Who album would show up on YouTube, Spotify, etc. So it will be there if you want to check it out. If you like it, buy the vinyl. If not, then your playlist can stop at It's Hard, Who Are You, By Numbers, or even Sell Out (for the more contrary members of the fan base).

I sat out their last go-around here (was it 2015?). But if they come to my town this time, I'll go. The Who/Townshend's songs and presence in my life means it's really not a waste. They form my musical personality so much.

Glad I never heard a "we are the mods" chant at any of the Who/Two shows I've been to. Is that more of a UK thing?

20. Dean Learner

Dean Learner Forum Resident

While some feel the Who are no longer the Who and they should just let it die, and some feel excited for any new album, I think we all can agree that we should stop talking about it and close this thread right now.

felipezorro likes this.
  21. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Well said! I'd have loved to have seen the Who in their original incarnation but at least I have the recordings. I'm delighted to have seen them live in their new format where they are still great - with a bassist and a drummer who'd be the envy of most other bands (and I know they're not Moon and Entwistle but nobody is) as well as a setlist that few can better. And I'll give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to producing new music.

Dave Armstrong and Jet Age Eric like this.
  22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Half of them are dead.

To play some shows of the old hits and make fans happy is one thing, but I don't like the idea of the two of them making an entire record and releasing it as The Who.

Just call it Townsend & Daltry. Keep some of the same Who iconography or style of design to the album that's fine.

Jimmy B. and Frederick Mars like this.
  23. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

I went to some of the more recent UK gigs where there were quite a few ageing mods in full parka regalia and dodgy hairdos, but no chanting as far as I call.

dee likes this.
  24. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

25. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Are there not any old outtakes of Moon drumming that could be sampled or incorporated into a new song? That would at least be an interesting approach to get Keith a cameo on the new album. Maybe Entwistle has an old demo or outtake that could be utilized, too. Bring it full circle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.