The Who: Moving On- 2019 North American Tour / New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I'd imagine the Endless Wire scenario will be repeated where whatever is used as final instrumental production will be completed (by Pete or whomever he chooses to play) and for Roger to then complete the vocals at his leisure.

At no stage will Roger and Pete be in the same studio at the same time, creating anything. Sadly.

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

They often weren't in the studio at the same time in the latter half of the 70s, no? I'd love for them to track live, but I'm trying to be realistic. :) All I want is Zak on drums. And good tunes, not turgid attempts at contemporary AOR. -E

3. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

That quote has got to be a joke, surely? Someone who has clearly been web savvy for a couple of decades has only just started using e-mail?

benny, dee and Elliottmarx like this.
  4. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Absolutely right. I thought that "Tea And Theatre" was absolutely STUNNING and a great guide to perhaps the direction that The Two might go in. Pete need never pick up an electric again (unless the fancy takes him) and hearing his acoustic work and seeing his utter JOY and intensity in playing that way - ever since his incredible work in '89 - shows how much that ability means to him.

A 70 / 30 split acoustic and electric would do me across a 45 minute album. And three bonus tracks (covers) for the CD ;-)

nedison and mw1917 like this.
  5. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Think you're mixing the two of 'em up.

6. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Tommy is poorly mixed due to the way it was recorded. Listen to Overture, Amazing Journey, Sparks, Christmas, Underture, Pinball Wizard, Go to the Mirror, Smash the Mirror, and I'm Free for examples of explosive drumming. Excepting We're Not Gonna Take It, that's almost every major song on Tommy. By Numbers is definitely a more mellow album, but it has Slip Kid, In a Hand Or Face, Success Story, and Dreaming From the Waist, all examples of energetic drumming. And Who Are You was recorded when Moon simply could not drum at his usual standard, so it's impossible to know whether the finished product is a result of conscious design or the byproducts of addiction. In any event, all three of those albums have the explosive-power-chords-and-propulsive-drumming type of songs that the uptempo tracks on Endless Wire resemble. So the point is not the quantity of explosive drumming but rather the quality: in the Who tradition, when a song is powerful, bombastic, and uptempo, the drums are telling a key part of the story. They're not just keeping a 4/4 beat. Townshend abandoned that on Endless Wire.

But he agreed to make it a Who album. And he included songs that were written and arranged to sound like the early 70s Who. Except, perversely, he refused to make room for decent drumming. Ultimately, it hurt Townshend more than anyone, because the album is considered to be a lesser work. Who's to say that Zak Starkey's contributions would not have changed that in some way?

sbardc and RocksOff87 like this.
  7. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This 1000%

8. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I thought Endless Wire was a solid Townshend solo album well sung by Pete and Roger. To me it was not The Who, but I accept it as Who canon, because they can do whatever the hell they want.

I'm cool with another just like it, but would prefer some of the older Who sounds. Hopefully they can get Zak on board.

Matthew Tate and Benn Kempster like this.
  9. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

I like this quote from the article. I like those sorts of tunes.

"the new material, which Townshend describes as a mixture of “dark ballads, heavy rock stuff, experimental electronica, sampled stuff and cliched Who-ish tunes that began with a guitar that goes yanga-dang.” "

Brian Lux, dee and Jet Age Eric like this.
  10. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

That a boy Ray!!! Honestly, who here wouldn't want to hear a new album with material written by Pete Townshend and interpreted by Roger Daltrey? I would hope they'd use Zak and Simon and make it more "Who'ish" than say a Pete solo album with vocals by Roger, but I'll gladly accept whatever it is they have to offer. Pete said he wanted to take time away from touring in 2018... maybe the writing muse hit him again? I wouldn't be surprised at all. I'd be FAR more interested in a new studio album with a supporting tour than a standard summer 2019 shed tour. Ron

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love The Who, it would be cool to see them sail again 2019.

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yet, nobody protested when The Pretenders did it.

omikron, Matthew Tate and PhoffiFozz like this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Sorry, but given the touring they have planned for next year and the pace they usually work at, I can't imagine an album happening. Not to forget that "Be Lucky," one track on a compilation, was supposed to be an album as well.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  14. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

So, you've outlined badly recorded explosive drumming, to (simply) energetic drumming to drumming that may or may not be less than energetic or explosive.

Correct, because The Who didn't exist as a studio outfit at the time the recordings were made. They were simply RELEASED under the name The Who.

I'm not certain he "agreed" to do anything. He DECIDED it would be released like that and Roger agreed to that in support.

Now, is the decent drumming you believe has been excluded just that (what you were looking for) or the *explosive* or *energetic* drumming. FWIW, I reckon both Pete and Peter Huntington (on the Wire And Glass tracks) do as good a job, if not a better one than Zak did on Black Widdow's Eyes.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  15. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Yeah Pete is the tech savvy man, Rog is not.

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is probably well past the point of the band being able to produce something artistically meaningful and relevant, but if they are going to do it, I hope the results are respectable. I thought Endless Wire contained some quality tracks, and Roger's solo album last year definitely showed signs of life. Again, I do not expect another "Who's Next," or even "Face Dances" at this stage, but I suspect Pete and Roger could produce something interesting and enjoyable, even if it is well beneath the greatness of their 1970's work. Still, I will be surprised if a new album comes to fruition. Next year, many of us will probably be posting, "Do you remember last year when Townshend said he was working on a new Who album?"

17. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Agreed 100%. Thank you for saying this and it feels like a shame that it has to be said so often.

After hearing Roger's last album, which I love, I would be really really excited about this. The problem is, I'm not sure that it will happen, as well all know, Pete can be all over the place and lose interest in confidence in what he could be doing. And I wouldn't be surprised if Bill was making something more out of this than it really is. But I really hope I'm wrong.

Count me in as someone who still enjoys Endless Wire and "Be Lucky". I find this news exciting if true.

nedison, DreamIsOver, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  18. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I remember thinking “After The Fire” would’ve been a great song for The Who, because it was quality. What it really comes down to is the songs. I miss hearing new songs from Pete, and I just hope they are good whoever is singing them (pun intended).

19. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Just want to add another 'AMEN' here.

I can't wait for the tour and the album. Still my favorite band, regardless if it's just the 2 of them. As long as Pete & Rog are alive, I will continue supporting them whether they go out as The Who or The Whoever. Bring on 2019!

SRC, utopiarun, Smokin Chains and 2 others like this.
  20. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

THIS!

I feel there's something happening. Pete's motivation and "fire" has returned. "It’s about my pride, my sense of self-worth and self-dignity as a writer”. Pete feels he has something to prove. So I think this new album will be better than "Endless Wire". And I hope he uses the touring band (i.e. Zak, Simon, Loren), rather than any musician that happens to be in the studio. On "Endless Wire", he used Peter Huntington (who?), while he could have used Zak Starkey. "You Stand By Me" sounds like it was recorded in a loo. Roger had a cold while recording his vocals. It looked as if Pete was in his "I hate The Who"-phase and was almost sabotaging the record. Now, I have the feeling that he is all fired up. And that can only be a good thing.

On the Who site, Pete wrote a blog: "The Who will be back in action this year, with new recorded music (...) it will certainly be an exciting year for us and it will kick off sooner than you expect. The Who’s managers, with Roger and I, are still planning things, but we’re all committed to a new WHO year ahead". If Pete sounds so determined, you bet things are going to happen! Looking forward to all the Whoness in 2019.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  21. Michael Rose

DalPe or Rogshend :thumbsup:

Crimson Witch likes this.
  22. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

23. Michael Rose

Probably my favorite song from "The Blues To The Bush"

24. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

No he couldn't -- Zak's touring schedule with Oasis conflicted with much of the Endless Wire sessions.

Matthew Tate and Jet Age Eric like this.
  25. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual.

It honestly gets a bit boring to hear endless versions of Tommy or Quadrophenia, especially when there is such a rich vein of material they could mine for setlists. Loved it when in the early 2000s they started playing some of the pre-Tommy material more. It is criminal the way they overlook The Who Sell Out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.