The Who: Moving On- 2019 North American Tour / New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's a good song but sorry Pete, rhyming "memories" with "Dom DeLuise" is a crime in some parts of the world.

Quincy, footlooseman and Michael Rose like this.
  2. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual.

They've been doing this for 50+ years and have every right to call it what they want. Everyone knows Moon and Entwistle are dead, so they're not pulling a fast one on some cheapo reunion, here.

3. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I know, but he could have waited or planned the drum tracking sessions when he was available. Why the rush? Why did Roger have to sing his vocal lines while having a cold or a throat infection?

4. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I literally Lol'd. :laughup:

Crimson Witch and bRETT like this.
  5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I take that to mean they'll all be indoor concert venues (?)

RocksOff87 likes this.
  6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

When they said "new album" I said you'd better.

7. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

"Relax" and "Our Love Was, Is" would KILL live ... -E

Spotmaticfanatic likes this.
  8. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

I believe Roger's vocal cord issues weren't diagnosed as such until the '06 (or '07? not sure) tour, when he finally underwent surgery. I don't know that he had a cold or throat infection during Endless Wire -- he sounds fine to me (on the studio tracks -- on the live set from Lyon, he sounds like he's struggling).

I think Peter Huntington sounds great, and has tremendous energy; I honestly don't miss Zak on the tracks he doesn't play on (everything other than "Black Widow's Eyes"), and when push comes to shove, I probably prefer Huntington's slightly-ahead-of-the-beat approach to Zak's slightly-behind-the-beat approach. And Pete does a surprisingly solid job on drums on "Mike Post Theme."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Please use Zak this time:). I'd prefer a more uptempo album than Endless Wire but, I'll take what we get.

Michael Rose and Who'sTommy like this.
  10. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I love Zak on drums; he's way closer to the spirit of Moonie than Jones or Simon; gotta love Roger & Peter; Rock's longest running soap opera..

Brian Lux, dee, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  11. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I'm with you all the way on the Who playing live. If they want to do another studio album, they can mostly get around those problems. What always held me in awe, about the Who, was Pete's songwriting abilities. It's kind of a crime to let them go unused if they are still available.

I don't think I'd go to a new Who concert, what with ticket prices the way they are.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Pete Townshend is probably still the most athletic guitarist out there. Even in his 70s. Rogers voice is almost at his 1980s level. I still do find enjoyment out of them:)

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I acknowledge that Townshend and Daltrey put on a show that is very entertaining to many. However, at the risk of sounding old fartular (which I am, hitting 70 next month), that show is a mere shadow of what the original Who did live in the 60s and 70s, with Moonie just bashing away, John quietly standing there running off his amazingly intricate bass notes, Pete's windmills, and Roger's rockstar poses. Not to mention the interplay and knowing glances between the four. The music had been created by all of them, notwithstanding Pete's annoyingly insecure historical revisionism, and it was a joy to see and hear them play it. You shoulda been there.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Dog Ear, PIGGIES, keifspoon and 5 others like this.
  14. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

That's true. You're right. I know the current Who is a shadow of their former glory. When I became a fan of The Who in 1988 - there was no Who. I am so glad that they reunited in 1996 and I got the chance to see Pete, Roger and John 7 times. To see my heroes live on stage, playing the songs I love. And yes, they used to be "better", but for now, I am so happy they are still out there, they're still playing. Even if Moonie and John were still alive today, they would never be the old Who of the 70s. I regard all this as a huge encore. The main show (until 1978) was fantastic. But the encore isn't bad either.

beatleswho, dee, mw1917 and 3 others like this.
  15. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Yeah. I'm not calling for legal action or them being blocked from using the name The Who on any new recordings. Just expressing a preference as a fan. I'd prefer if they used Townshend & Daltrey instead of THE WHO.

Spotmaticfanatic likes this.
  16. Spotmaticfanatic

I'm pretty sure they did that in 1996 when they toured Quadrophnia. They started the tour as Townshend, Entwistle, Daltrey, but usually promoters want The Who, and that's ironically what we could call them if they did a Townshend and Daltrey album.

beatleroadie likes this.
  17. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Maybe The Two Orchestra will perform ‘Waltz For A Pig’.

SkeletonPete, reb, PIGGIES and 2 others like this.
  18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yes, but at least one smug, cynical Hoffmanite posted that he'll believe it when he sees it, despite statements from Pete and Curbishley.

19. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Well...they have given us years of reasons to be skeptical. I've been defending Pete and Roger throughout the thread, but I was also one of those smug, cynical Hoffmanites! Hopefully they'll come through this time and deliver.

20. Spotmaticfanatic

To be fair, there has been more than one incident in the last 20 years where there has been talking of a new Who record from those in the band, and it hasn't happened.

21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I kinda felt burned last time, in all honesty, since there were definite reports of a new album in progress before nothing but "Be Lucky" appeared. Also, note that Pete's post promises "new recorded music" but not an album, so it could be (shudder) one song on a compilation again.

Jet Age Eric and intv7 like this.
  22. Spotmaticfanatic

I suspect it will be a live album that will include a couple of new songs.

23. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I would absolutely be up for new Who music - even if the sum total is kind of eh, I am confident that Pete has the ability to come up with solid songs. I bet he has oodles and oodles of demos just sitting there.

And, within reason, Roger can deliver the goods.

I see Pete's main weakness is his apparent desire to make every album a STATEMENT and, in so attempting to do so, overshoots the mark a lot.

Psychoderelict is a great example - the original version is a drag imo. The edited, music only, version is far, far better.

So, I would be very happy if Pete were content to just put out an album of some good songs.

I saw Roger a year or two ago on a solo show and it was very good - better than The Who show on the Hits 50 tour. Show was loose and fun and Roger was in good form vocally. He was okay on the Hits 50 show I saw too but he was better on the more recent solo show.

It sort of amazes me when people take shots at Roger for being a "shadow" of his former self or whatever - of course, he can't sing like the 1970 or 1980 or 90 Roger - but damn, he is still a very powerful singer as a 75 year old man. If we compare him to peers, I think he stands up as well or better than most - especially considering his muscular singining style - he is not Colin Bluntstone (whose voice really, REALLY comes off well live but he has a much smoother style).

Only Tom Jones truly defies virtually all aspects of aging process. :laugh:

24. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

The way the Rolling Stone article reads, Daltrey doesn’t seem too enthused with Pete’s new demos. That can’t bode well. I also predict more physical problems for Daltrey as the tour goes on.

25. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Hope it happens, and, if it does, I hope Zak plays on it.

footlooseman and Jet Age Eric like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.