The Who: Moving On- 2019 North American Tour / New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KentishMan

KentishMan Forum Resident

Oh FFS.

2. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

3. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

It was always going to be awkward having "The Two" together for interviews but I would imagine that the promotional team thought they'd get more mileage and FAR better soundbites than if they did it all separately. You'd hope that there was some room, further down the line, for some interviews with the guys separately. You can just see Pete standing there as Roger gives out his working-class, down-to-earth bit, twiddling his thumbs thinking "Good old Rog; I'll bide my time here......."

Not sure anyone buys it from Roger any longer.

4. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Fair point. Ended.

johnny moondog 909 and RayS like this.
  5. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

For those with problem w/the link:

6. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Townshend said it the album is about 2/3rds finished.

7. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

No, it was officially released on the reissue of the ‘30 Years Of Maximum R&B’ dvd set, in it’s entirety.

GoodKitty, davers and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The version of Who Are You off of Lifehouse Elements is a stone-cold classic, rap and all.

John K.

mw1917, J_D__ and arthurprecarious like this.
  9. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

First time I've heard anyone talk of it with such high praise.

What is it about the version / performance for you?

10. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

They come off as such old men! Roger, old and grouchy: “Aghhh Brexit!” Pete, old and doddering: “Did I ever tell you this Keith Moon story?”

11. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

But Roger had a job 55 years ago!

12. johnny moondog 909

I'm chalking it up to the lull in news about the album, while they're or Pete is on 2wk hiatus for his holiday.

I don't mean you or anyone in particular. Just the thread drifted a bit since Pete Townshend went on holiday & temporarily stopped the updates.

I get the impression Daltrey is actually recording vocals as we speak, but just less Vlog friendly.

13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The original is so prevalent on classic rock stations that it's refreshing to hear a different take on the song. For me there's the overall sense of dread in the performance, the throbbing bottom end, and Pete thrashing all around it. As some rap is about posturing and proclaiming your place in the world, the rap in this song seems an appropriate updated take on the "narrator" of the song.

John K.

14. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Agree, have always enjoyed this reimagined version of the song. Thanks for making me check it out again, let's face it, it's fool hearty to remake an iconic rock song and PT recast this in what I've always thought of as an electronica version with even more bombast than the '78 original - the so called "rap section" encompasses less than 60 secs. in a song that lasts more than nine minutes - it's "Who Are You" set in the future, I love it!

arthurprecarious likes this.
  15. kiff

kiff Forum Resident

You can't talk about Trick of the Light without mentioning the live 1979 versions with JAE on 8-string bass and PT on standard bass. RD vocals, Kenney on drums, Rabbit on keys, and a mini-horn section. Much better than the sluggish 1989 versions.
    They did a few shows like this before PT switched back to guitar and then it was soon dropped from stage for a decade.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Cool you were at the same show. IIRC it was standing down on the floor where I was but I don't recall how close I was. I did get a pick at the show but no memory of exactly how. I think it was one of those deals where Pete had thrown some into the crowd and rather than catch one I found it on the ground in the chaos.

Another thing about the rapper - just like "white men can't jump", they can't rap either.

17. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

New interview in the Sun from Wembley presser.

Interesting bits about new record:

Daltrey: “I thought, ‘These songs are so good but they sound like a Pete solo album.’
    "But then I’m going, ‘How can I make them mine, how can we turn them into an even better Who album?’”

Townshend picks up the thread: “I wrote about 40 songs and extracted ten or 15 I could challenge Roger with. I wanted him to feel excited.

“Writing music he can sing, even if there are only two of us left, makes it The Who.”

After all these years, Townshend still reveals his compositions to Daltrey with a degree of trepidation. “If he says anything negative about the songs, I’m going to be bruised, even if he says, ‘I really like the middle bit. . . ’

Daltrey: “Exactly, it’s like criticising his children. For me, interpreting the songs is challenging, like painting a portrait of an incredibly interesting looking person.

“I have to do a lot of sketches before I get it right and when I get it right, I know it in my head.

“One of my problems is that I can’t read lyrics and sing them. They have to come from my heart.”

By the sound of it, the new Who album will be a contemporary affair with songs about the changing roles of women, homelessness, gun crime and political uncertainty and, says Townshend, “how there’s nothing new in music. When we write music today, we are stealing.”

And he adds: “Some of the album looks backwards as well. I wrote one song about a one-night stand when I was bang at it in the Eighties.

“We’d had a few drinks and when we’d got to her house, five or six in the morning, her teenage daughter had to vacate the bed to go to school so that we could get in and have sex.”

18. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Thanks for that imagery Pete!

MPLRecords and Odysseus like this.
  19. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

“We’d had a few drinks and when we’d got to her house, five or six in the morning, her teenage daughter had to vacate the bed to go to school so that we could get in and have sex.”

You know, I can hear Roger singing those lyrics, roughly to a sort of "real good looking boy" verse melody....

Anyone else weirded out by the heightening over time of pete's stated hostility toward Moon? I feel like he's going to start saying he wishes he'd killed him himself.

PIGGIES, jethrowup and jeremylr like this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Cold sex and booze probably didn't impress HER daughter either.

PIGGIES, MPLRecords, Ryan Lux and 3 others like this.
  21. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

And the "deep cut" winner of the thread is...!

22. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I was wondering how and why Pete would have these fights with Keith about which Roger would know nothing. That there would've been (a lot of) conflict doesn't seem odd; that it's never been discussed until now is. -E

23. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual.

I think it's kind of up there with how he wrote off Television when he saw them at CBGB's woth Townshend because they weren't a suitably professional unit. Wonderful musician, probably also a stand up fellow. Also made records with Joe Walsh.

24. johnny moondog 909

Some of the comments from poster's in this thread, seem to magically appear, sometimes nearly word for word. In a press article a few days later.

So Roger is still sketching or they have a few down & finished ?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Pete probably shouldn’t be talking about kids and beds.

He’s not very self aware is he? Like releasing a song in 2003 called “Real Good Looking Boy.” I’m not saying he’s guilty but it’s just bad optics.

PIGGIES, MPLRecords and Odysseus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.