The Who - New Box Set for 2015?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marc with a c, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I think he is banned from almost every Who page on FB, so I guess just he just posts on his own FB page.

marmil, Who'sTommy and DrBeatle like this.
  2. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

He rubs pretty much everyone the wrong way, and has for YEARS, so it's not surprising at all

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  3. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I looked at his website for about 30 seconds before I felt nauseous and annoyed.

Dave Hoos and DrBeatle like this.
  4. DrBeatle

Consider yourself lucky to never have to had to interact with him...

Dave Hoos likes this.
  5. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

WF banned?!?! I'm SHOCKED! I've spent time with him. He's not a bad guy - just doesn't know when to shut up.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I would argue "doesn't know when to shut up" would refer to, say, somebody who rambles on about minor details past the point of anyone else caring; something I can't say I'm always immune to. But publicly harassing people who disagree with you and/or point out when you are factually wrong is another matter.

7. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

WonkyWilly, slipkid, mw1917 and 6 others like this.
  9. marmil

I think this conversation has really run its course.

izgoblin and aoxomoxoa like this.
  10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A good example, regarding Who Are You:

"The Polydor (Germany) sounds wonderful. The MCA (USA) is as dull as a door, drowning in artificial bass."

"At the time when the album was initially released on CD in 1985 (MCA USA), most record companies were scrambling to get CDs "out the door" and didn't understand (or perhaps care) that the mastering for an LP was different than a CD and many of the initially released CDs of that vintage were "pretty bad" - "Who Are You" is one of them. (Some of these issues were also the result of using “backup tapes” which they had lying around and didn’t translate well to the CD format).

Two years later, Polydor (Germany) released their version of the CD - it sounded perfect. This version was as good as the Japan LP. There was nothing not to like!

In 1988, MCA (USA) upgraded their tape (when they began producing their own CDs in the USA <which were previously “outsourced” to Japan>) and the new CD was an improvement
    over the previous version - but still not as good as its Polydor counterpart."

Except none of this is true. The Polydor is identical to the MCA, just slightly lowered in level. Same A/D transfer, no difference in EQ. There was no "upgraded" tape.

Not to mention that while he seems to subscribe to the idea that digitally identical CDs can sound different (to the point that a CD from a completely different tape can fall between two digitally identical CDs in terms of quality), there's actually essentially no discussion on actual different pressings. That is, "The MCA" is referred to as a single entity, but there are at least 6 different physical MCA pressings that were sold in the US, probably more. That initial 1985 CD? At least 3 pressing variations.

Point any of that out and he'll yell "fake news" and start writing "fan fiction" about you. Until he gets banned, of course.

Dave Hoos, slipkid, sonnyrock and 6 others like this.
  11. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

When The Who's catalog is involved a "holy ***" reaction isn't necessarily a GOOD "holy ****"

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Schoolyard on this forum is open 24/7

breakingglass and marmil like this.
  13. CrazyBrown

CrazyBrown Forum Resident

I'm disappointed that the copyright extension releases didn't get adopted by The Who.

'67 would have been a great year to 'rediscover' Sell Out (although maybe the best of the rest was already in the Deluxe Editions).

I'm still excited for the possibility of an official Fillmore East next year, but realize that nothing is ever a given.

aoxomoxoa, Matthew Tate and WhoTapes1 like this.
  14. I followed his advice regarding the sound quality superiority of the original Odds & Sods Polydor CD vs. our domestic MCA version and purchased the Polydor from an overseas seller. A bit later I discovered (at SHF) that the versions are essentially identical. I felt like a chump...

JediJoker and WhoTapes1 like this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Polydor didn't even bother changing the art:

[​IMG]

16. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

He has doxxed people for offering differing opinions and/or pointing out inconsistencies/inaccuracies in his "definitive" assessments of various pressings. On the old Who mailing list, he would literally post the bankruptcy and divorce records of someone who pointed out a small error. Adding insult to injury, by his own admission, WF's tinnitus has seriously inhibited his listening for at least the last 7-9 years (you'll notice his website doesn't mention this -- take the sound quality notes on his page with several grains of salt). So he was doxxing people for (among other things) disagreeing with his distant memory of what a record sounded like. Yes, he's a bad guy.

17. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Wow that's disturbing.

18. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

That's White Fang!

DrBeatle likes this.
  19. marmil

I know. I was on it. The WF/M. Lehman fights still give me nightmares. And he's not really a bad guy. Well, maybe he is. But like I said, I've actually spent time, real face-to-face time, with him. We hung out and went to a few of the '96-'97 Quad shows (which is how I found the old Who list to begin with). I guess if you rub him the wrong way he can be a jerk but he's really a pussycat.

EDIT: And BTW, too many people took what he said about different CD pressing from different countries to heart. Being in the business, I once wrote a long explanation about how their usually was 1 digital master that was used worldwide. Not always, but usually. Some people understood it, others swore that I was crazy. But I'll defer to @lukpac - he's got the best info on this kind of stuff.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Dave Hoos likes this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Have you ever gone toe to toe with him?

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

He had some sort of breakdown and left Odds & Sods after I and a few others pointed out he was wrong about Who Are You, albeit not before coming up with various "fan fiction" about us. Alas, that wasn't the first time.

DrBeatle and Tommyboy like this.
  22. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I remember all this. That was the stuff that made me read through that list less and less until I finally just quite opening the mails altogether.

PhoffiFozz and DrBeatle like this.
  23. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I finally got around to getting Matt Kent and Andy Neil's Anyhow Anyway Anywhere and got very excited when I read in the chapter opening for 1968 that as well as the Fillmore East they also recorded a couple of shows at the Fillmore West in 1968 (which I had no idea about) - but that was followed by the disappointment of reading on the relevant date that shows are no longer in the archive :cussing:

24. oates

oates Forum Resident

The intention was to record the West Coast shows but for reasons unknown I don't think this happened. The Fillmore East shows were recorded instead.

DrBeatle likes this.
  25. DrBeatle

Same, I was on that list for ages but that was around the time I gave up...he was (and still is) a real piece of work...

That's a great book that I haven't gone through in a while...I need to pull it out and read it again.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.