The Who Sell Out - Deluxe Editions, 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I really enjoyed the 2CD Deluxe Edition from 2009 or whenever. Moreso than the 1995 remixed version. I realize a lot of people liked that one for having the album and bonus tracks flow like one long version of the album, but I liked how the Deluxe Edition was the stereo and mono albums, then bonus tracks. It will always be my favorite Who album (not their best, but my personal all-time favorite). Maybe the entire rumored Who's For Tennis album will be on there. Or maybe they'll extend it out with any 1968 studio stuff, so generally anything after A Quick One but before Tommy. That seems plausible, no?

2. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

What are the chances for a surround sound version?

rd1, AZRunner, marcb and 6 others like this.
  3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Possibly. Universal has been pushing Atmos lately and this album could be really interesting in surround.

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

2LP - like mOno and stereo? Or 1 standard lp and 1 of outtakes and related tracks? Hmmm. Definitely interested

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

A surround mix will get my attention.
    I have the deluxe cd, and a really nice record pressing from a few years ago....
    I wonder if they will get the right mixes?

AZRunner, marcb, ted321 and 3 others like this.
  6. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Barring a Lifehouse reconstruction, doing something massive with Sell Out is about the only way the band ever snares me into going to the three-digit range for a release. And since that's likely here...

It'll probably cost around as much as my UK mono Sell Out did to procure. I'm good with that. It's the rare album where they could just say "oh, your bonus track is just a count-in to 'Rael', and also we found a way to remove the announcer from the intro of the BBC version of Shakin' All Over, enjoy your silly bonus tracks and thanks for the $400, idiots" and I'd run to the store like an orphan askin' for gruel.

Should go without sayin' that I'm in!

7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Yeah, me too, it's my favorite Who album.
    But I want a full size rendition of the poster.:)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  8. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Yes for the full blown version! Here's hoping it will be a mind-blowing feast. A 5.1 mix could be fantastic.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Love the album, but definitely wait and see for me. I think it's going to be hard to top the last Hi-Rez stereo and mono versions, though I wouldn't mind having physical discs of those.

I doubt I will bother with the vinyl since I already have 2 versions I'm happy with.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

Bonus tracks on vinyl, please :)

Revolver, WhoTapes1 and DavidJ like this.
  11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I had this on 8-Track! I wasn't aware until years later what songs belonged to which albums.

Sell Out is one of my favorites, so can't wait for this.

MrMarty, kevinsponge, Mr. D and 3 others like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Very interested in seeing the track listings. I suspect it will pattern itself after the My Generation box set, which contained a lot of previously released material. The only way I can see this thing being padded out to five discs is if it includes demos. I don't expect to see a ton of unreleased Who recordings, but who knows, maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised.

13. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Put everything on vinyl (mono, stereo, bonus tracks, etc.). Name your price and I’m buying!

RAZORMADE, dee and Jon H. like this.
  14. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I, too, am hoping for a surround mix. -El

AZRunner, Lownote30 and dee like this.
  15. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

If you're American. None of the discount codes which get mentioned on here ever work here in the UK. And we never seem to get any of our own :(

Will definitely be getting this though, along (hopefully!) The Beach Boys box and maybe CSNY. Then my credit card is getting locked away!! (Can't see what the Lamb Lies Down box can offer, so can probably leave.)

Electric Sydney likes this.
  16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Given that the Who Sell Out was recorded in part at IBC, Pye, De Lane Lea, CBS studios in London in 1967, and that Trident was supposedly the first British studio to get an 8 track reel to reel deck, and didn’t get that until 1968, I would assume that the songs recorded in the UK, at least, were recorded on 3 or 4 track decks. I know they recorded some of the album in the USA, so maybe they had 8 track to work with there.

But if a specific song was recorded at De Lane Lea on 4 track, I’m not sure how they’re going to get a 5.1 surround mix out of that, unless, like the Beatles did with Pepper, they still have the original pre-bouncedown multitrack reels and can digitize those and get 7 or 8 discrete “tracks” to mix from in ProTools. Given the kind of guerilla, across two continents, recording of this album, I wonder if the Who have all of the Sell Out work tapes archived to the same degree that the Beatles do, when the Beatles were 1) obviously a bigger deal and more valuable asset and 2) up through 1967 did all, or nearly all, of their recording in one studio.

17. I’m so in for the big CD box!

:bdance:

RAZORMADE and Herman Schultz like this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Mirasound version of Mary Anne was done on 8-track. That's the only track I can think of, unless material from 1968 is also included.

Not sure how much 4-track bouncing was done, or if the tapes were retained for tracks that were bounced.

19. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

My favourite Who album so I'll be watching this with interest.

RAZORMADE, Bill, dee and 1 other person like this.
  20. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Cool news. The expanded edition and to a lesser extent the deluxe versions were both revelatory. I doubt there is much left that will have the same impact, but a nice package with it all collected together (certainly expecting the demos and maybe some live stuff) would be good to have for this fan if the price is not too far north of $100.00-$150.00.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. dee

dee Senior Member

Heh. I am 'blessed' to have some nice vintage vinyl pressings of the stereo and mono mixes. I would love the 2LP set to be strictly bonus tracks and bonus mixes!
    LOL I doubt that happened! But yes, more vinyl more vinyl more vinyl :)

22. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

My dream release would sweep up all the post-Talmy, pre-Tommy material. "Pop Goes the Who". Nonetheless, I'm thrilled at the thought of this release.

marmalade166 likes this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

OT I asume an imaginary AQO superset wouldn't move many units unless its production run may me limited and there was some extensive 1966 era findings of rare radio or tv recordings and many PT demos. Then again every mix and version of I'm A Boy and Happy Jack? might fill a whole disc out LOL! Ok, sorry guys, back to the regularly scbeduled Sell Out programme!! Can't wait to see the details (I hope!)...

Timjosephuk likes this.
  24. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Judging by the 2016 My Generation set, here’s what I’m thinking:
    • Stereo album
    • Mono album
    • Stereo bonus tracks (2 CDs)
    • Mono bonus tracks (2 CDs)
    • Pete Townshend demos

Dwight Fry and RAZORMADE like this.
  25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I question whether there are that many bonus tracks available. Even if the CDs are each 40:30.