The Who Sell Out - Deluxe Editions, 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Dec 31, 2020.

1. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

would love some Live stuff... and the demos..

2. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Yes to the former....no to the latter! But if it really is 7 discs worth of material, I'm sure we'll be getting both.

StormSignal likes this.
  3. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

That is if they decide to throw in all possible alternate mixes and all 1968 stuff too. Live stuff would be cool too but what more professionally recorded stuff is unreleased besides what’s already out there, like Monterey and Fillmore ‘68? I personally dig Pete’s demos. I listen to those more than his regular solo stuff.

4. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I still have this. And still listen to it.

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I'd spring for the LP, if it was reasonably priced. Need a heck of a lot more info.

6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

This would be my preferred option. Release everything, mono and stereo on two separate vinyl editions as they did with "My Generation" . The CD edition will likley be a compressed to hell loudness wars job as was the previous deluxe edition from 2009.

DavidJ and dee like this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Bonus tracks like Armenia forward instrumental track which is really interesting imo. How they actually played it. Fwiw,
    I segued that into both the instrumental track included as a hidden track on the 2009 Deluxe and also segued it into the proper stereo mix or remix with vocal as well.

Rael similar deal with the early mono mix or the remake (remade) stereo remix followed by the short vocal afterword and then the organ solo released in 2014. Tried quite a few variations connecting those three pieces together. That's about 7 minutes per complete. Is there actually more?

The Great Shakes ad into the electric Mirasound Mary-Anne. Is there a better quality source for Great Shakes than the hidden track on the 2009 Deluxe?

Will licensing fees with the BBC or elsewhere be cost prohibitive for Our Love Was, Is and I Can't Reach You? As well as ICSFM. Lily for inclusion? Or the Boris, MG, or HJ jingles? What else?

Odorono with the full ending tagged.
    ICSFM single mix with more bass guitar.

Vocal only mix of Silas Stingy? Rael 'single edit' lol sans the instrumental Sparks section. Getting far out there now lol.

True there will need to be more unreleased recordings than already available and much has been released that we know of. So I guess it's how creative (cough cough) the set could or was willing to be and how many PT demos or more studio gems may have been unearthed and able to be released.

A stereo find of Doctor Doctor ;)

Looking forward to the travelbag of baked beans, deodorant, creams and lotions, and the girl in a suitcase, maybe some guitar strings and some teabags. Tattoos optional.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Billy_Sunday and Devotional like this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's pretty unlikely.

9. Cool! Following.

10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I hope you're right but the most recent album was DR 6, the Lola Deluxe by the Kinks was also in that area so my expectations, as with all modern day reissues are not high for "Sell Out".

Taxman likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Who reissues over the past decade have not followed that pattern.

12. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

When they find (if ever) the missing multi-tracks. Some have been located; others not according to Pete.

parman likes this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The last I knew, Bargain, Song Is Over, and Getting In Tune were missing.

I also have a feeling that most of the songs were recorded via bouncing. Whether the pre-bounce tapes still exist isn't clear.

supermd, Jet Age Eric and J_D__ like this.
  14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm in for the whole shebang. I just hope they put more than 30 minutes of content on each disc.

15. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’d like to think a live show is included:)

rainingdogs likes this.
  16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Maybe they found the 1968 Australian shows that were recorded. I’d prefer something from 1967 but, other then Monterey haven’t heard of anything.

rainingdogs and WhoTapes1 like this.
  17. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

If there is any kind of unreleased/unknown live content included, you’ll be able to knock me over with a feather, lol!

J_D__, felipezorro and dee like this.
  18. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I love the Who. I love Sell Out and already have the 90s disc and 2 disc deluxe. How much more can there be? I've found these deluxe Who boxes too pricey and somewhat padded with already released material. I guess we'll see, but I can't see myself springing for this. These days, I can always stream it anyway.

Tristero, hodgo and WhoTapes1 like this.
  19. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

I'm in - where do I sign? LOL

rainingdogs and RickA like this.
  20. dee

dee Senior Member

I hope they didn't double-dip into the Odds and Sods album tracks. Then again Little Billy is like its own ad and Glow Girl going once, going twice, going three times...

The '68 stuff like Dogs, Magic Bus, Melancholia? If it was curated like its own album on vinyl perhaps. I'd be surprised to really see any post-Sell Out stuff included though that mold has already been previously broken so Who's For Studio '68;). Isn't there another Sell Out track that was done for a TV or radio show at the time, but previously unreleased. Was it Relax? Hmm. Anyway, hope the release date holds firm. Wasn't expecting this set until March, April, or May. Or June lol.

21. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

dee, they have to hurry up and get it released so that they can start on the Who’s Next SDE Box Set and get it out for Christmas 2021!

Quadboy, dee and J_D__ like this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The 2CD deluxe edition mopped up "most" of the relevant material, plus mono and stereo, and fit it all on 2CDs.

Is there really that much relevant bonus material from this album to fill out that many more CDs?

Even with all the stray tracks that experts have mentioned, that would only be part of one more CD.

Seems more likely:

1 x mono vinyl
    1x stereo vinyl
    3xCDs
    1 x BluRay (either hi res mono and stereo and/or surround)
    And one more disc. Could be a 45 repro. Could be a live set.

IMHO, like with most of these sets, we are definitely hitting the wall of diminishing returns with these massive boxes that follow on from existing Deluxe reissues. (Perhaps the one exception was the Prince Purple Rain box).

Colinjpush and WhoTapes1 like this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As the My Generation box showed, they aren’t afraid of spreading out material over more discs than necessary.

24. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

That sounds very familiar. Most likely so.

25. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have seen interviews that Roger has done over the years where he has indicated his ambivalence to bonus tracks. For example, he felt that Won't Get Fooled Again should be the last song on Who's Next and that bonus tracks on the same disc diluted it's impact.

So I can well imagine that he would be completely supportive of bonus tracks being put on separate discs.

dee likes this.