The Who Sell Out - Deluxe Editions, 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Dec 31, 2020.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Let's hope not.

jtiner, O Don Piano and rainingdogs like this.
  2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Which is all well and good, but the crucial factor for me is going to be the mastering and the SQ. It reviews well on that front, I'll want a set. But I have UK and US original monos and stereos so for the regular release I'm good. If the SQ beats those, then I'll release the wallet.

ArpMoog and Shawn like this.
  3. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

True, but at least some Mirasound-multis from August 6th/7th still exists, including the full band + Al Kooper "Bob Sings Soul", which I believe was originally going to be one of the commercials, because (according to Bob Pridden) it started life as "Ellie Umbrellas".

I'd also be very interested in outtakes of "Relax" from said session.

Chris M, dee and Jet Age Eric like this.
  4. mkhannah

mkhannah Forum Resident

I’m an optimist looking at the potential for plenty of unheard/unreleased studio and live tracks to be included in this set.

Wasn’t too long ago the Filmore album caught many by surprise especially with the half hour take of My Generation.

ARK and rainingdogs like this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The difference is the Fillmore East recordings - if not My Generation specifically - were well known. I don’t believe there are further recordings that are known to exist but haven’t been released.

It also seems unlikely that there’s a treasure trove of unreleased tracks at this point.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  6. I’m in the same boat, with US and UK mono and stereo pressings (which I cherish). I’ve also got the US promo with slightly different track order.

cwitt1980 and dee like this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, if it's that, I can guarantee you I won't be buying--unless it turns out that the mastering is far and away the best ever (and even then I'd probably hesitate).

But I'd be surprised if it's that configuration, mostly because when a box consists of both vinyl and CD, rarely does the bonus material get duplicated on both formats. I wouldn't put it past them, though, to separate out the albums from the bonus tracks. That gives you 3-4 CDs right there. 2 LPs. And you only have to fill out one more disc.

Shawn likes this.
  8. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

We all knew that two Fillmore East ‘68 concerts had been professionally recorded because we had proof from the bootlegs. There’s no real evidence that any other Who concerts from 1967 or 1968 have been professionally recorded, except for Monterey 1967.

PhoffiFozz and J_D__ like this.
  9. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

I still own my 2 2-fees. My first who albums that I bought as a teenager.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That's actually the first copy I had. Probably the first copy a lot of us had. It was in print for many years, long after the original LPs had been deleted.

The Sell out vinyl in my 2-fer got tons fo play. The Quick One LP mostly just gathered dust.

Earlier versions of this 2-fer came in a gatefold. Later versions were in the 2LPs in a single pocket configuration. But the gatefold didn't provide anything substantial or interesting, anyway.

11. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

If not 5.1, if they can find the four-tracks you could have a quadrophonic mix--Moody Blues and Sly and the Family Stone have released quad mixes. I'd be into it ... And a +1 to multiple takes of "Relax" (if there are are any). -E

J_D__ likes this.
  12. I’d agree. It’s 0ne of my fav Who albums.

Oatsdad likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Sell Out" is my favorite Who album! Love it!

14. rainingdogs

rainingdogs Death Of A Clown

I am like a dog scratching at it's cage. give album now.

15. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

If it’s full of new material!

nicotinecaffeine and rainingdogs like this.
  16. rainingdogs

Live stuff, please god, live stuff! :goodie:

Doggiedogma and J_D__ like this.
  17. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Well, 7 discs is a very exciting prospect. Can't wait to see what it'll include, this album deserves a big sprawling box set.

J_D__, croquetlawns and rainingdogs like this.
  18. tages

tages Senior Member

Can we PLEASE finally hear “Joys”, “Facts Of Life”, “Now I’m A Farmer” and “Do You Want Kids, Kids?”?

I’m in regardless.

19. rainingdogs

I hope any kind of literature included doesn't get all pretentious, the album doesn't need to be analysed as some sort of "statement", it's just a funny quirky record. Hopefully any writer keeps it a bit sarcastic and avoids being all artsy. The Sgt Pepper box set had a booklet that was just self flagellating* (i like that word) and pompous.

*wrong word contextually, i still like it though. Heh.

parman and Shawn like this.
  20. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

That's good to hear. I'd hate if they'd settled for an audience-recorded version.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

According to Matt Kent a Fillmore West recording was also made in 1968, but the tape no longer exists.

J_D__ likes this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Wasn't there some question as to whether that was ever made in the first place?

J_D__ and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  23. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Yeah, but there’s no real evidence to substantiate that claim from Matt Kent.

J_D__ and Quadboy like this.
  24. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

lol, you’re at it again!

rainingdogs likes this.
  25. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Unlikely - they couldn't even get the date of the *BAND'S" anniversary right.......