The Who Sell Out - Deluxe Editions, 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Dec 31, 2020.

1. kiff

kiff Forum Resident

I'm hoping for this second Fillmore show. It may not be complete, or much different from the first one, but it's live Who.
    Otherwise, I suspect demos ala Tommy and Quad and the lack of new Scoop releases.
    I'm very uninterested in artificially created a capella versions or music only versions or 7" vinyl.
    Fingers crossed.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

When I was a teen-ager, my oldest best friend sat me down, and played the copy he found at his local library!
    So, knowing I need a copy for myself, I went to Record World, and bought the '2-fer'!

James H. and Shawn like this.
  3. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to an official release of ICSFM demo - I can't believe this did not make it onto three volumes of "Scoop" nor the previous Deluxe of Who Sell Out. This demo is really quite an accomplishment for 55 years ago - Genius.

(10) Pete Townshend - I Can See For Miles - Rare 1966 Demo Version - YouTube

I'm sure there may be some disagreement here, but if they do any "dipping" I'd rather they go backwards rather than forward. "A Quick One" does not have the reverence and love that this album and Who's Next has and we might never see a Super Deluxe of it.

These two demos from "A Quick One" would be nice to have official versions of:

(10) Pete Townshend - Disguises Demo - YouTube

(10) Pete Townshend - Don't Look Away (Demo) - YouTube

4. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Such a cool demo. I love that descending riff in the verse.

HappyFingers likes this.
  5. Herman Schultz

Ditto. I think that one has the superior version of "Shaking All Over."

6. moops

moops Senior Member

soniclovenoize, wayne66, Sean and 3 others like this.
  7. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

Not sure if this has been discussed before - the 90s remaster of "Who Sell Out" contained "Melancholia" but the 2CD deluxe of it did not - was there a reason for the omission?

mooseman, hodgo and 905 like this.
  8. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

Always wondered if Townshend had heard this before writing I Can See For Miles.
    Charles Thomas - The Man With The Golden Touch was released in March '66.

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They're amazing demos. Pete Townshend really is an incredible songwriter, right from the start.

HappyFingers and Silver Surfer like this.
  10. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I still find it amazing that there are so few live recordings by one of the greatest live bands of all times. I am not an expert on The Who, but why were not more shows recorded? Do we know?

11. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I think its a safe bet to assume there'll be at least one disc dedicated to 1968 (ie post Sell Out/Pre-Tommy) - but probably two. One disc being the compilation of a "what could have been released as an album in 1968" of most of the "masters" recorded that year, and probably an additional disc of outtakes/alt versions/alt mixes covering the same period.

I'd expect a similar approach to be taken for the 'Who's Next' box whenever it happens, taking in a "1970" disc or two (masters and outtakes), and perhaps a "1972" disc or two, though I could see the 1971 "Who's Next" recording sessions being combined on the same disc(s) with the 1972 sessions (same producer/basically the same sound).

But then who knows how much they'll want to cannibalize Odd & Sods on these boxes?

As for live discs on The Who Sell Out box - unless they just put the Fillmore double disc from a couple years ago in the box, I can't see it. Depending on how much there is available I could maybe see a "Broadcasts" disc, covering BBC Sessions and maybe some TV appearance studio pre-records (with live vocals) - maybe even the Monterey set (if they care to license it).

Of course both boxes will almost definitely include at least one CD of Pete's demos. I'd be shocked if they didn't.

Colinjpush and Herman Schultz like this.
  12. Herman Schultz

I imagine because it's not really contemporaneous. "Melancholia" was recorded in 1968 well after the sessions that produced The Who Sell Out.

Colinjpush, Sean, Lynd8 and 1 other person like this.
  13. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

One major reason is because it was very expensive to professionally record shows back during the Moon era and in ‘67 & ‘68, The Who was in major debt as a band.

PhoffiFozz, Colinjpush and Quadboy like this.
  14. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Okay that is an explanation. But while recordings from (let's say) The Grateful Dead are not as frequent from 1968 or 1969, they recorded basically everything from 1971 or 1972 onwards. Apparently The Who did not, there is very little live music available from their prime years which strikes me as a bit strange.

Are there any recordings for instance from their "five week European tour in 1972?"
    List of The Who tours and performances - Wikipedia

Colinjpush, Taxman and WhoTapes1 like this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

They did release two albums 1968: Direct Hits and Magic Bus. I wouldn’t mind seeing a reissue of Magic Bus, either as part of this box set or as a standalone Record Store Day release, that uses the best available masters and replaces the fake stereo tracks on the original LP with either real stereo or mono.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I believe the 1969 live recordings were recorded from the mixing desk and they sound fine. Any chance this was done in 1967-68?

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  17. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

JD, unlike their 1969 U.S. & U.K. Fall tour (where there is plenty of evidence), there is no evidence at all beyond Monterey & the two ‘68 FE shows.

18. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

It is believed by many Who fans, including myself, that ‘Magic Bus’ on the ‘View From A Backstage Pass’ live cd set is recorded from the Stockholm ‘72 concert, so it’s possible that entire show was professionally recorded.

hodgo, bato, J_D__ and 2 others like this.
  19. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I’d like to see a reissue of Magic Bus as well. It’s easy to look at it as an abomination, but it is a part of The Who cannon to me.

trednour, dee and Shawn like this.
  20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It is to me as well. And would be a no-brainer Record Store Day release on vinyl, with the fake stereo problems cleaned up. Or re-release a facsimile of the original Decca white label mono promo LP. I’d be at least as interested in this as I would be in a reconstruction of Who’s For Tennis.

Colinjpush, DavidJ and Shawn like this.
  21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

7 disc set for my all-time favorite album by anybody? Yeah, I'm in.

22. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

This conversation makes me wonder if the mono promo LP contains the real mono mixes or did they simply do a fold down of the stereo album?

23. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Hope Party Piece From Rael (lyrics shown by Pete in an Eye Magazine article), makes it to the box. And, Melancholia and Dr Jekyll And Mr. Hyde, the bastard children of The Who's reissues.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  24. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Anxiously awaiting track listing and format configs.

25. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Whatever's on it, I'll end up buying it, same as I have all the other versions. Just another tricky day for a Who fan!