The Who Sell Out - Deluxe Editions, 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Dec 31, 2020.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have been listening to the 2 CD version tonight to whet my wistle. It sounds better than I remember.
    The 5 CD set was an instant order. I had to prod myself to order the mono vinyl. I already have the classic records mono reissue. But that colored vinyl is so purty.
    I really don't think I need the stereo album. I have a UK original (sorta, it's a Backtrack - I think uses the same stampers, but correct me if I am worng) and the Vinyl Lovers 2 LP with the 1995 remix.
    This is the first reissue I have been really excited by anyone for a while now!

landerstnkb, Jon H. and croquetlawns like this.
  2. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Is It True? Did The Who Sell Out Sell Out? "The Seeker" : Who's Next Roger or Pete?
    [​IMG]

dee and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

You'd also need the expanded Odds & Sods for My Way and the other (longer) Summertime Blues take. If you don't have already.

4. Louis Bova

Louis Bova Forum Resident

As I mentioned in the thread about John Mayall's " The First Generation 1965 - 1974" I was looking for deals for the upcoming Super Deluxe Edition of "The Who Sell Out" which for many of us was the 1st or 2nd Who album ( usually purchased in the cut out bins) that many of my generation bought and couldn't get enough of. So even though I've purchased reissues and remasters galore, there is no hesitation in wanting to buy this upcoming box.
    Has anyone found a better deal then what was mentioned earlier in this thread over at Udiscover?

5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Yes, Great idea for a audio only bonus feature that would be.
    Can't think of any bonus extras except several TV performances of 'Miles'.
    :edthumbs:
    Still can't find any info about the doc TV airing.
    Sky Arts sometimes put updates online of upcoming new shows in the next few months, but nothing i can see recently.

My favourite last 2/most recent Sky Arts 'produced' docs ........ Paul Weller's Jam and Style Council were very good.
    Jam 2 hour TV slot and Council had 90 minutes.

I suppose when Sell Out airs the opening credits will tell us if it's from Universal/Trinifold and edited for TV ........ with a longer physical release to follow.

6. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

For those tracks that overlap with the previous DE, does anyone know if they will
    are actually those tracks or rather the ones from the 2014 HD release which had lots of differences.
    If I recall the HD release had a lot of remixes on the bonus tracks.

7. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Pre-ordered, I just couldn’t resist.

8. Mollusk

Mollusk I AM THE STALLION

The 20% off code knocks it down to $111

9. aidwho

aidwho Forum Resident

it’s the only CD from that campaign that I still listen to.
    How come it and Leeds was so good but the others not so?

croquetlawns and Man at C&A like this.
  10. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

Dear Lukpac I can't find where we talk about it, could you tell me where to find this information?

11. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

I Think "Mary Anne (US Mirasound version)" - "Relax (Early demo Stereo)" - "Glittering Girls (Unrealesed Stereo Version)" - "Our Love Was (Take 12)" -

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

What is the 20% off code? Thanks!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Thanks, this discount put me over the edge. Ordered.

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Comeback

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

UD20OFF

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Some of the reissues were okay. I agree that Leeds and Sell Out were the best. I actually didn't mind Tommy. A Quick One was a mess. Odds & Sods was also a mess. Who's Next was okay; some of the bonus content was great (edits notwithstanding). I didn't like the remix of Who Are You. The remix for Who By Numbers was okay. I didn't think the remixes for Face Dances and It's Hard brought anything to the table. Remixes were the trend and The Who jumped on it. In the end, the original mixes are superior.

17. anth67

The big boon with Sell Out's remix, of course, was the restored line in Rael.

dee, Matthew Tate, Man at C&A and 2 others like this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, although that had already been released on 30 Years.

19. aidwho

aidwho Forum Resident

Me too. It’s supposed to be funny and it is.
    “Soap cost a lot and the dirt kept him hot”
    He’ll be lying in the gutter with an empty box”
    oh man those lines are Entwistle gold

20. Modfather

Modfather Forum Resident

I largely agree but I do like the remix of It's Hard.

PhoffiFozz and Jet Age Eric like this.
  21. aidwho

aidwho Forum Resident

It’s just it was the same people doing these remixes/reissues but there seems to be no continuity in quality between the reissued albums. Why couldn’t they all be good?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

With so many session takes to hand they could keep issuing Sell Out sets forever ............ or until Fan enthusiasm wanes!
    'Alternate takes' version of the original album with jingles for the 60th anniversary box ........ no doubt.

J_D__ and WhoTapes1 like this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Also:

I believe this is is addressed in the liner notes to the box (that it's still a mystery), but it's unclear why the "goldfish being swallowed by a whale" section was ever removed in the first place. It didn't have anything to do with the tape damage at the start of the song, and there are vintage alternate mixes (one of which was released on the Deluxe Edition and one of which is being released on the box) that contain that section. It's also unclear why those crossfades (not edits) were so, so awful, not in time with the music at all.

24. anth67

So, so awful.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is The Who catalogue. Don't overthink it, you will only get a headache or worse.

Dwight Fry, J_D__, Lynd8 and 10 others like this.