The Who Sell Out - Deluxe Editions, 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Dec 31, 2020.

1. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

As an album listening experience, I kinda wish the long version of Magic Bus was the primary in the running order on the Road To Tommy disc. But looks like the monos are all at the end.

Is there not a stereo mix of the long version, then? My vinyl Meaty Beaty is long gone, but on my Japanese cd it sounds like fake stereo ~ though it's not marked (*) as a mono track. (Bass is louder in the left channel, but can still hear everything in both.)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nope. Just mono and a few different fake stereo variants.

While I'm not certain, my suspicion is the long/alt version is from a rough mix made before edits and overdubs were made, and that the multitrack ceased to exist in that form at that point, rendering a stereo mix impossible. Of course, even the multitrack for the finished version seems to be MIA, so we'll probably never know for certain.

3. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Wow...thanks.

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

comeback works too

Matthew Tate and RayS like this.
  5. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I doubt it. It wasn't issued in the UK. It is a disk a London mod would dig but unless Guy Stevens had it in his mega-collection and turned Pete on to it I think it's just coincidence

Wurzelsepp and Wordnat2 like this.
  6. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Along with what @lukpac said, there are some things not on this set like the two additional mono mixes of Call Me Lightning but IMO that's a blessing, not an omission :)
    There's also the original complete stereo mix of the full length 'Glow Girl' that is only available on bootleg that is not included. Also Sell Out mono remixes that were done for the BBC are not included (can;t tell for sure by the track listing) which means they'll likely never get an official reissue. These would include Pictures Of Lily with full intro (no announcer voiceover), a dry mono remix of Relax, Our Love Was with a different twin guitar solo (different from both the mono and stereo lp mixes) with longer ending and a slightly different mono remix of Can't Reach You. Some BBC Transcription Disks contain a few of these but are all truncated or have voiceovers. The complete and unspoiled variants of these tracks were only aired on the original Top Gear broadcast.
    It will be interesting to hear what variation of the Al Kooper version of 'Maryanne' appears in this box set as the versions on the hi-res Sell Out reissue and digital remix edition both have different endings.

dee, Jon H., supermd and 1 other person like this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Two additional mixes? Mix without lead guitar and...?

Matthew Tate and trumpet sounds like this.
  8. owsley

owsley Senior Member

The mix on the 30 Years box set sounds different to me Luke. What say you?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That’s a stereo remix.

ARK, Jon H., Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  10. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I just played it - not stereo. Enhanced mono mix with reverb but a different mix (Townshend guitar is much louder)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nope, 100% true stereo. Just quite narrow. Most of the track slightly to the left, lead guitar slightly to the right.

12. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I didn't play with headphones so I'll go with your take. But if true it is the narrowest stereo mix I have ever heard in my life.

Jon H., Matthew Tate and PhoffiFozz like this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've heard narrower, but there isn't a ton of separation. It can however be widened somewhat.

I'm guessing the 2018 mix is roughly similar, but not quite as narrow.

14. owsley

owsley Senior Member

While we're going down this rathole I started, the box set does not include the alternate mixes of Last Time and Under My Thumb as well but I don't consider them to be part of the Sell Out time line.

Jon H. and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’m not saying you’re saying this, but do we really need every single mix/variant of every single song associated with this album, all in one box? I get the annoyance one may feel needing to buy multiple copies of your favorite albums to get different content, but how many discs does this thing need to be to make people happy? I would prefer to get new material with little overlap from prior releases, personally. Luckily, this set provides a lot of both to hopefully keep many fans happy.

Again, this isn’t aimed at you at all; I’m just using your post as a jumping off point.

croquetlawns likes this.
  16. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

As someone who isn't able to buy all the deluxe boxes he'd like and isn't in the market for this one (I'd love to win one, I like the music and it looks cool as hell, but it's not one of my favorite Who albums, and I'm trying to buy too many other things right now), my thoughts are that I'd like the top of the line box, for any album, to be the definitive last word on that album (maybe that is too naive or simplistic to ever be the case). I suppose the specific answer to supermd's question may depend on whether too many mixes exist for a single collection, or how important they are seen to be, whether mixes from later periods (1990s etc.) are considered "canon" as a 1968 mix would be, and the answers to other questions like this.

Herman Schultz and supermd like this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

With a band like The Who that will never happen, at least for most of the albums. Between alternate vintage mixes, the '90s remixes, and possibly new remixes, in most cases there's just too much duplication to really be commercially viable. That becomes even more true with all of the material that been released since the '90s (well, '80s, thanks to Who's/Two's Missing).

18. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Thank you!

Matthew Tate and RayS like this.
  19. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I would expect, at the very least (and the Who have been really bad at this!) to get the correct original (mono) single mixes from the main release territory / ies. I'd also like, but seldom expect, to get any variant mixes released at the time. Alternate mixes released after the fact are unlikely and not particularly necessary (this is what rabid completists expect to have to hunt down), unless they have a significant profile in their own right (e.g. the long 'Magic Bus') or are particularly revealing (e.g. 'Rael' without the awkward edit).

In this set, of the first and second category, I think this set is missing:
    - Pictures of Lily (either the Direct Hits alternate mix or the original single mix, depending which one they've identified as the latter here)
    - Someone's Coming (alternate UK single mix - the standard UK single mix allegedly appears on the 7" in the box)
    - Call Me Lightning (alternate mono mix - I can't recall the details, but this might not have first appeared until the eighties and may not be vintage)

And the US single mix of 'Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde' only appears on the second 7", it seems.

20. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

My general philosophy, explained more clearly and elegantly than I could:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The main issue of course is that there are often multiple "original" mixes. US and UK mixes of I'm A Boy (plus a few alternate mixes), US and 2 UK mixes of Someone's Coming, etc.

As noted, the mix of Lily included should in fact be the correct 45 mix.

The Call Me Lightning mix without lead guitar was issued on the corrected/second issue Magic Bus CD. I'm not sure if it had ever been issued on vinyl or not.

Matthew Tate and Jon H. like this.
  22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Please don’t give them any ideas like this. We’ll never get Who’s Next Super Deluxe with 5.1 and 1971 SanFrancisco shows.

WhoTapes1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

I'm very excited about this set (yes, I've pre-ordered) but am irrationally disappointed that, once again, not every track on the album will be individually indexed. "Charles Atlas" may only be about twenty seconds long, but that's still twice as long as "Miracle Cure".

24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

agreed that's the issues with the who

25. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I'm not sure about that, but It's annoyed me recently that they've taken off all release dates. I've found those really useful for research. I can't imagine what difference it makes to Amazon.

Dwight Fry and Matthew Tate like this.