The Who Sell Out - Deluxe Editions, 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Dec 31, 2020.

1. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I'm gonna be a wiseguy but what is the 'correct 45 mix' of Lily? Both mixes were issued simultaneously in '67. The 'guitar chord' ending mix was issued as a UK and US 45 but the '67 French EP included the alternate 'reverbed vocal' ending mix.

Wurzelsepp, Shawn, supermd and 2 others like this.
  2. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

It's nice to learn I'm not alone on this!

Timjosephuk likes this.
  3. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

As much as I would love love love to hear Who's Next in 5.1--knowing that some of the tapes went missing--what are the chances a full-album surround mix?

Rufus rag and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

They could have found the tapes. I believe it was Bargain, Tune and the Song is Over that were missing but, I’m not sure.

Rufus rag and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I wasn’t aware the alt mix was released prior to Direct Hits, but regardless the 45 mix is the 45 mix.

Those are the 3. Although even for the rest of the album the pre-bounce multis may or may not be available.

Jon H., Matthew Tate and J_D__ like this.
  6. Louis Bova

Louis Bova Forum Resident

I can't find any information concerning mixing, mastering, etc ... but please, someone tell me, no involvement by Jon Astley !
    His involvement with The Who's catalogue remastering and remixing has been as disappointing as Giles Martin's involvement with The Beatles catalogue.

When Astley first got involved with the remastering (and remixing "on the quiet") back in 1994 I was excited and hopeful but quickly became disappointed with the results. In the same way Frank Zappa felt that he wanted to "fix" his recording when it came time to reissue his catalogue on CD, I immediately got the feeling that he was appointed by Townshend to do a similar deed.
    All along the way, with each remastering/ reissue, hope's of releasing quality have been dashed away.
    One of the biggest disappointments had to have been Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut box set.
    The widescreen sound experience, on what I always felt was Townshend's Grand Opus, of the original vinyl release was barely noticeable.
    Every remaster/reissue has been a missed opportunity.

In many ways, when not listening to The Who on vinyl, I find the pre-Astley CD reissue a more satisfying listen experience.

So once again ... please tell me that Astley is not involved with "The Who Sell Out" Super Deluxe Edition !?

jjm905 likes this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

We won't tell you that.

He doesn't do mixing, just mastering. Which lately has generally been fine.

Andy Macpherson does the mixing.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Matthew Tate and Aoide like this.
  9. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

If you don't want Astley - stick with original LPs and 45s. He would be involved in Who organisation probably until his end (like Mark Linnett with Beach Boys or Giles Martin with Beatles).

croquetlawns likes this.
  10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I said my thoughts in a PM conversation with @Dave Hoos , but I'll reproduce it for this thread:

My initial thoughts are: why didn’t they do this back in 2017, hot off the heels of the My Generation box?

Unlike that previous box, this actually has some unreleased content that makes it worth purchasing. The Super Deluxe obviously is the most attractive format for me, but will I spring for the big box, or will I get the download and call it a day?

I am disappointed that Quick One and Who’s Next consistently get the short end of the stick. As we've seen, those two have enough material to make Super Deluxe boxes.

Either way, this box certainly looks attractive. We even get the Who's For Tennis sessions, too!

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

wasn't this supposed to come out already and got delayed?

14. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I don't know about that, but what I do know is that with some of the remixes being labeled as "2018 mix", this makes me feel like this set maybe would've come out in 2018-19.

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I thought someone said this box set was ready or at least mixed in 2018, as the mixes say, and that it just kept getting delayed

16. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I just hope after all this speculation and love for the album we don't get some loud, brickwalled, limited or crewcut DR 7/8 version. That's been my complaint with so many recent anniversary remasters of other albums.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Yes firstly delayed due to Pete Roger and the labels not wanting it conflict with sales of the 2019 WHO album, which itself was delayed about 6 months.
    Then delayed a 2nd time another 6 months when it was decided a film/doc would accompany/promote the release.

18. dee

dee Senior Member

An Odorono stick? ;)

19. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

It certainly makes sense that it should have been the next archive Who release right after 'Live At The Fillmore'.

20. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

The versions of Fortune Teller and Melancholia on the 2011 Who's Missing/Two's Missing SHM-CD... are these not 60s mixes then? I always thought they were...

dee likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

To further comment on this, on a whim yesterday I tried removing that section from the early mono mix via an edit to see if it would work. Not only does it work, it's totally seamless:

Rael (Early Mono Mix) edit

I have no idea why someone decided to remove that section in the first place, but it's especially baffling that it was done so clumsily. Was this Kit Lambert's own backwards section in Magic Bus (i.e., "make it obvious ")?

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I assume that's just an awkward way of saying the box includes 7" records.

Maybe not, though - maybe they're tossing some other 7" into the package! :shrug:

23. Louis Bova

What can I day ? .... I'm a sucker for The Who.

My order was put in last week for The Who Sell Out There's just too much involved in the package to ignore.

24. Louis Bova

Well, it is what it is then.
    I'm sure there will be plenty of good stuff to listen to either way.

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. Sascha Hain

Sascha Hain Active Member

I pre ordered this box set, indeed, as I did with the othe The Who box sets.

Just can´t wait to get the box set.

pablo fanques and Matthew Tate like this.