The Who Sell Out Q for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poe_man, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member Thread Starter

I picked up an early MCA cd pressing of said title last night, used. The catalog # is
    MCAD-31332, and I'm pretty satisfied with sound. Much better than the
    remaster that came out a few years ago. I was wondering who did the transfer
    on this, as well as the source tape that was used. I also noticed that the cd itself
    is very transparent, much like the high quality gold cd's. Does this have any affect on
    the sound quality?

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

For the record, your opinion on this particular disc definately puts you in the minority.

-D

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That was cut "flat" from the MCA stereo safety of the British master tape. I did not do it, and have not heard it.

It's possible that some folks might like it better than the later "processed" version.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Ironic. I was listening to this puppy on the tubes downstairs last night. The Jon Astley CD is a mixed bag. Some of it was great, like Mary Anne With The Shaky Hands but I Can See For Miles just does NOT.

Just MHO folks...

5. poe_man

For the record, what is the best sounding cd version?

6. poe_man

Sorry! I guess when I say satisfied, I'm referring to what I've heard, which would be
    the remaster and an MCA vinyl pressing. It's definitely one of my favorite Who recordings,
    and would drool over a Hoffman remaster. Steve?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What do you mean by that?

I had thought the original MCA was pretty good, the only difference between it and the Polydor being the indexing.

Keep in mind the new CD is *remixed*, not just remastered. Apples and oranges.

8. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I know that, Luke.

That said, I've never been too terribly gaga re. the sound of the original album, and find the remix to be a huge improvement re. sound quality.

Maybe I should try the old RCA CD.

-D

9. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Y'know, I often commented about how much I enjoyed the "improved" sound of the re-mixed CD. I also hadn't played my old Decca vinyl copy in over 10 years and an equal amount of equipment upgrades. Guess what? The original is not as thin sounding as I remembered, matter of fact it sounds pretty good. I honestly can't say why I got the impression it sounded dull and thin.

10. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Perhaps, perception has changed reality and vice versa?

Bob ;)

11. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

You've given me too much to think about, so I won't.

12. Dob

Dob New Member

Agreed. It doesn't sound right at all, and I don't want to hear it anymore.

I plan to make a CD-R of the remix and substitute Steve's version of Miles (from MBBB) for the remixed Miles. Simple fix.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hrmm...while I don't *love* the remix (I kinda wish they had been truer to the original), I don't hear any major problems with it. What's wrong with ICSFM?

14. Dob

Dob New Member

Luke,

The ICSFM remix does have some things going for it, such as the bass boost (which the original mix needs) and the long fadeout. But the choruses sound "veiled" (processed?) in comparison to the original, and Pete's guitar is a bit low in the mix at times. I just prefer the original mix - the remix sounds "wrong". If I'd been hearing the remixed version all these years, maybe the original mix would sound wrong!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.