The Who "WHO ARE YOU", new 4k video remastering on their YouTube channel...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

THE WHO have quietly uploaded another 4K video to their YouTube channel. This time it’s the 1978 “Who Are You” promo film recut and mastered in 4K, again the new quality is stunning.

A promo film for The Who’s 1978 single ‘Who Are You’ from the album of the same name. Filmed at The Who’s Ramport Studios in Battersea, London on May 4th, 1978 by Jeff Stein Stein for inclusion in his documentary The Kids Are Alright.

This could be the first and only time I saw the late Keith Moon ever play a hi-hat in all the years of The Who. He didn't even have them on his older kits, only cymbals..

I used to not love this song back then, now it sounds like Nectar Of The Gods to me.

FJC1966, Gezza, Ere and 176 others like this.
  2. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Wow, this is great! When you think about how much has been made of the terrible shape Moon was in, and the band in general being in decline, this clip shows something quite different. Maybe not their top peak, The Who were still sounding very strong and cohesive here. It did look like Moon was starting to pull himself together, too. Just too late I guess.

Herman Schultz, mw1917, D.B. and 14 others like this.
  3. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Thank you! amazing Quality and music!

tmtomh, D.B., squittolo and 1 other person like this.
  4. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Wow! This is beautiful!

tmtomh, Jimmy B., squittolo and 2 others like this.
  5. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

That.........was awesome! A totally different take (with a superior intro, IMO).

Keith looks like such a lovable goober.

RocksOff87, tmtomh, D.B. and 5 others like this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The first time I watched The Kids Are Alright approximately twenty years ago the words Roger utters at 08:03-08:04 were still audible (I had transferred the audio from the VHS to a cassette). The problem is I can't remember what he said. Does anybody have a better memory than me and give me a hand? Why was that vocal part mixed out, by the way?

7. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Great intro. They look like they are having fun.

squittolo likes this.
  8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Keith’s beard had done him no favors. He looked much better clean-shaven.

9. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

So great watching these two clips again, I remember well seeing them back in the day. My friends and I went to see The Kids Are Alright on opening night at the Plaza Theater in Manhattan. It was packed and we had to sit in the front row with our heads tilted way up, too close but still great!

10. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I dunno, could Pete be just ever so slightly coked up on this one. :nyah:

marmalade166, Tommyboy and squittolo like this.
  11. Ivan Aaron

Ivan Aaron What Sells ≠ What Streams

Simply fantastic.

J_D__, hi_watt and squittolo like this.
  12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

When the host posts stuff like this, I know I belong here.

The Kids Are Alright is how I became a Who fan at 13 yrs. old. Every scene in it is part of the Old Testament of my personal Rock bible.

13. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Two sequences from The Kids Are Alright in 4K posted in a row. I get the feeling there's a Blu-Ray/4K reissue of the film on the horizon. (Hopefully!)

14. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Great excuse to watch this again after some years, thanks...! The quality is stunning indeed. The details of Daltrey's face make me imagine I'm in the room with him, and that it's the present rather than the past. (For a moment.)

Steel Horse and squittolo like this.
  15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I remember seeing this video. It wasn't included in the film, though, so I'm not sure where I saw it.

squittolo likes this.
  16. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Great post as it caused a shift in my own view that Keith was very much past it. The man looks in fine form here, so much energy. What great chemistry these guys had. Amazing to see that clarity of film.

17. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

It was in The Kids Are Alright film.

18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

A timeless video clip. Btw, Who Are You the song is one of my favourities by The Who.

19. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Who Are You sounds amazing coming out of car speakers.

Herman Schultz and boboquisp like this.
  20. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It was also issued again in 1988 on the WBWB LP/VHS/DVD etc set.

Myke likes this.
  21. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

I’m with you Steve, Who Are You ( the song), didn’t do much for myself and my group of hardcore Who fanatics on release. And we were really put off by that LP. But watching this in 4K changes my mind a bit.

2141 likes this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I know exactly what you mean. I can’t remember what he said. Something kinda like “ I dig ya” but it ain’t that. It’s probably on the soundtrack album.
    I actually really dislike the DVD version of these concert tunes cause they time corrected Keith which takes a lot of the charm & character out of the original film performance for me.

Rne likes this.
  23. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Keith Moon had a great sense of humor and a dramatic flair. Great personality.

24. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

this looks incredible. it'll always have a special place in my heart since I can recall my parents playing a VHS copy of TKAA pretty much daily in the late 80's. to a kid who doesn't fully understand these things, it was impossible to wrap my head around the reality of the Keith Moon we see here turning up dead in 4 months. it still is, really.

25. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Perfect way to start the day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.