The Who "WHO ARE YOU", new 4k video remastering on their YouTube channel...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If someone did, the album master wouldn't sync up because of the new parts.

2. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Id' really like for their music video to "Eminence Front" to be remasterd in 4K :cool:

dee and Sammy Banderas like this.
  3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

John's jacket is fire. Pretty good bass player, too.

4. donmac

donmac Forum Resident

I have both the DVD and the Blu-ray release. The image quality on the bits of the movie from sources that could be better do look better on the Blu-ray, but they omitted virtually all of the Special Edition extras from the DVD, which made keeping both versions necessary for me.

If there is a 4K UHD version of "The Kids Are Alright" coming out, I hope they put all the great extras from the DVD SE on it so there would finally be a definitive version of the movie to own.

Quincy, 2141 and RAZORMADE like this.
  5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

So is the mix on the bonus DVD the album version and not from the film version?
    I haven't listened to it since the day I bought it when just released.

6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Yes, it's the album version.

Quadboy likes this.
  7. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Of course the title song isn’t actually included on the soundtrack lp.

8. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Pete didn’t begin using cocaine until around 1980.

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

One of my most treasured concert memories was from before the show when I saw The Who at Kemper Arena in Kansas City.

My brother, my mother and I were making extra money by selling t-shirts, programs and other merch at every concert there and other venues like Municipal Auditorium and Arrowhead Stadium (especially for the SummerJam shows.) We made some serious money as we were paid 10% of the retail. Looking through old Setlist.FM listings, it must have been December 1, 1975. We'd get there very early to get our merch, count it all in, set up the stand, etc.

But after that, I was able to hear the engineer hear the engineer testing the system. And I got to hear the house engineer, who I presume was Bob Pridden, play an open reel tape through the system to shake the dust out of the speakers.

So I got to hear the keyboard backing tracks for Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again at concert volume in an empty arena.

BOMP BOMP BOMP BOMP BOMPBOMPBOMPBOMP BOMP BOMP BOMP BOMP...

10. donmac

donmac Forum Resident

Even though I'm a big fan of "The Kids Are Alright", the main criticism I have of it is the omission of pretty much everything between the albums "Who's Next" and "Who Are You" - such as "Quadrophenia" - as if they never existed. I chalked it up to lack of footage from the era, but when I saw the music video for "Join Together" (below), I could come up with no reason why at least that wasn't in the movie. I wonder if Jeff Stein just didn't care for the music from this era.

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My friend and I went to see the movie on opening night at The Palace Theatre in Calgary. We had perfect seats...;)

DigMyGroove likes this.
  12. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I recall something in the Maximum R&B booklet that they banned f
    There's a great story/comment under that video about Roger wearing a jacket he got off a guy in the crowd.

13. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I'd asked the same to no-replies.
    I checked and someone elsewhere answered this :

Youtube puts out (up to) 165 kbps for the Orbis bitrate in 4k video, and 128 up to 192 kbps for the AAC bit rate in non-WebM video.

14. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

With respect, and not wanting to derail anything, that was recorded in an HD format in the 90s, not upscaled from SD.

On topic? The Who Are You clip is amazing.

2141 likes this.
  15. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Gorgeous. This has long been my favorite version of the song (and one of my favorite Who videos of all time). Moon's drumming on this version has always blown the album version away IMO. Amazing quality.

Phil147, 2141 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  16. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

What I wouldn't give for the entire album to be released on DVD like this-though I'm sure it wasn't all filmed. I remember the original video though.

17. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

?? I know it was in the VHS version released a hundred years ago, as well as the DVD release. Was this not in the original film shown in theaters?

18. Cool hand luke

That seems odd... the song is what it always has been, how does SEEING it in "4K" change one's mind towards it?:shrug:

apesfan likes this.
  19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Well, I can't get excited about the video if the sound is not that great.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It’s about time for a release of TKAA movie including all the covers like Barbara Ann played at Shepperton Studios in 1977-78.

Quadboy likes this.
  21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

No, I mis-remembered it. Someone upthread confirmed the clip was shown on (U.S.) TV and that's what I remembered seeing. Combined with the performance not being included on the LPs, I seem to have lost all memory of it being in the theater!

Cool hand luke likes this.
  22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

And maybe the 1972 Paris or Stockholm shows could be included as a bonus.

23. Cool hand luke

Way back "in the day" I worked at a video store, I made a VHS "mix tape" of clips from various music titles we had , including TKAA. I put on Baba, WGFA, Who Are You, and Barbara Ann, absolute favorites from that movie. Always loved that clip of Who are You, laughing at those guys goofing, and Keith's drumming (with the cans duct-taped on)...and since then I usually have a tear in my eye when it finishes, knowing he wasnt long after that. Yes the 4K is beautiful, but why all the fuss now? That clip and all its charm have been around forever. It is good to see so many digging it now though, for sure.:edthumbs:

Herman Schultz, 2141 and J_D__ like this.
  24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The Who website mentioned TKAA was out of stock in certain areas. Its do for a rerelease. Let’s hope

25. Cool hand luke

Due for a 4K/Blue Ray rerelease... hence these 2 videos...hence the "out of stock" website announcent. Safe to say it's coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.