The Who "WHO ARE YOU", new 4k video remastering on their YouTube channel...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Ok i will do it another way for the 'blocked' people.

2. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

funkydude and beatleswho like this.
  3. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Yes it does! Some day I'm gonna learn how to do that... great job! :cheers:
    That clip has always blown me away, since VHS days. The sense of humor those guys had really shows here. And wow did Keith look so determined and so full of passion on that take. What a shame:shake:

Herman Schultz likes this.
  4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

A 3 angle Who video!
    THE WHO 3 ANGLE YMB IOW 1970.avi

5. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Fantastic!! Coolest thing happened soundwise when watching that just now... im viewing on my phone (i know, but im not at home) and I can hear John's bass perfectly, and it's sitting about 8 inches from the left side of the phone, just wailing away in mid-air. Un-real

6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

‘Deluxe TKAA more likely.

7. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yes, the 4k looks nice. However, there is a color shift.

That Number 1 Les Paul Deluxe is Wine Red, it looks black as seen in the 4k remaster.

apesfan and vudicus like this.
  9. Trainwrecker

Trainwrecker Forum Resident

Les Paul Deluxe is Wine Red But looks black in different lighting.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  10. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

That 3 angle video, I couldn’t take my eyes off of Keith the whole time!

2141 and supermd like this.
  11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I couldn’t keep my eyes off Pete. Lol

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Moon is a beast!!!!! Thank you for the video. I have always wanted to see a camera focused solely on Keith at the height of their powers, and this is it!

13. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

This is really interesting information, thanks for looking it up. The 1991 footage of Toto recorded in HD is absolutely stunning.:thumbsup:

14. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

Of course i meant to type "25p 16mm film" back there but my stupid fingers got the better of me.

15. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

It's rather poignant to realise that not long after this Keith would be gone :cry:. When you watch him here, and I know it's only one song, I do think that if he had looked after himself a bit more he could have carried on with The Who and still been a very good drummer. He still had it, whatever 'it' was...

16. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

That's a heavy subject. What if Hendrix hadn't died? What if Lennon survived the gunshot? What if Jerry Garcia pulled himself together and lived on? What if Bonzo hadn't died? What if Moonie hadn't died, or Entwistle? SO much great music could have come after all of them and more. Bowie, Prince, Petty....the depressing list goes on.

17. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I know what you are saying and I don't want to derail the thread here. I meant it more from a point of view that Moon was pretty much finished as a drummer for The Who, regardless of whether he lived or died. I think the video shows there was something still there.

Bocajoe, Sandinista and 2141 like this.
  18. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

The way Keith Moon play the drums in this video is quite amazing. I love the the feeling he put in the ooh ahh ohh ahh part. He shows it in his face. Focus. And those fills, he’s like a boxer in the ring. So much passion. Got to love him.

19. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Might have been "cut for time".

I remember watching The Beatles Anthology when it was broadcast on television and was stunned the way they jumped from Rubber Soul to SPLHCB with like maybe half a sentence reference to Revolver in between. [Maybe it wasn't exactly like that, but that's how it was in my memory.] It was a HUGE disappointment as Revolver was one of my favorite albums of all time!

On the DVD release, I believe they gave more space to Revolver, but still not as much as I would have liked....

20. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Oh yeah. WAPP 103.1 and WPLJ95.5 in the mix also. Only WBAB is left. John M.

21. donmac

donmac Forum Resident

One little feature I like about the TKAA DVD SE is when the guitar smashes through the standard copyright warning screen, something that's completely missing from the current (2010) Blu-ray release:

22. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Are you sure it can't be defeated on your father in law's TV? That seems very unlikely. I think it may be listed by different terms from different manufacturers, but for example on Vizio 4K sets there are two settings that control the 'soap opera effect'. One is ' judder reduction' and the other is either 'blur or motion reduction'. Both operate on a scale from 0-10. They're under 'advanced picture settings'. I think LG TVs it's 'Tru Motion" and can be turned off. Look for 'auto motion', 'smooth motion' whatever. :)

23. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

Yes, it's a store brand cheapie from Aldi. Believe you me, I've tried every setting in every menu. Thank you though :)

thxphotog likes this.
  24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

It's quite common IME , that restored videos have a noticeable color shift. Shades of Red, Yellow and Green seam to be the most troublesome.

Yes, its true that the LP will look black in different lighting. But if you watched the frame by frame comparision. Petes guitar is clearly Wine Red in color as seen on the DVD. While the same frames in 4K depict the guitar more often as being black.

Trainwrecker likes this.
  25. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

A deluxe box of TKAA and WAY would be nice and hopefully would have some more from Shepperton.
    The original intention for the WAY CD bonus tracks were to include live cuts from Shepperton and some of the US tour.

DrBeatle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.