The Who "WHO ARE YOU", new 4k video remastering on their YouTube channel...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Very much like The Amazing Journey film where the incredible rennaisance of The Who from 1999 was virtually ignored. Surely, if you're going to watch a film like this, the audience won't find a bit more time watching an onerous task.....

2. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I'd prefer a deluxe of TKAA with the Shepperton rehearsal film in there from July 1977:

20th:

The Real Me
    Bell Boy
    The Kids Are Alright
    Run, Baby, Run
    Smokestack Lightning/Spoonful
    God Knows (jam)
    Won't Get Fooled Again."

21st:
    Who Are You
    Baba O'Riley
    Shakin' All Over
    Travellin' Light
    I Saw Her Standing There (available)
    Water
    Barbara Ann (available)

mw1917, longdist01, supermd and 3 others like this.
  3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Shepperton would've been awesome but cuts from the '79 US tour I wouldn't have liked. I know that was the tour in support of WAY and TKAA but non-Moon live cuts on a Moon studio album would've just felt wrong IMO.

Herman Schultz and Benn Kempster like this.
  4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Since this was just mentioned,...

vonwegen, Sci-Flyer and supermd like this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thank you for that. More evidence Keith still had it, and was not a shadow of his former self at this stage of the game. Where do these nonsense rumors start?

6. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

On the evidence of the Who Are You album and the sessions he attended and the anecdotes from the rest of the band, Bill, Bobby and Dougal, it was pretty clear that (if the songs themselves weren't the problem), Keith wasn't up to it.

Pete in all likelihood DID give him some sort of ultimatum regarding how the band could continue that jump-started his desire to get out of the malaise that had befallen him in LA and, following that, the Shepperton and Kilburn shows - although on a smaller scale than a *TOUR* - saw a drummer that was still pretty useful in that seat.

Had the accident not happened.......

7. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

A couple shots are inserts, but you can see the unedited footage from each camera on the DVD. It's clearly one take with a couple shots inserted. One insert is Pete strutting across the stage pulling his shirt open. The shot is only a second or two. The other insert is the slow-mo leap. The leap is still in the actual performance, but I think they recreated it for that slow-mo shot. Everything else is the one performance. If you get the Kilburn '77 DVD you can see where that first insert came from.

DrBeatle, supermd and landerstnkb like this.
  8. Herman Schultz

Not quite. A lot can happen while you're watching a shot in slow-motion. Watch the unedited footage and you'll see Pete picked himself and got back to stage left during the slow-mo sequence. Also, you've mixed up stage right and stage left. It's from the perspective of the performers on the stage, not the spectators in the audience.

aphexj, supermd and wavethatflag like this.
  9. Herman Schultz

It barely mentions the 1989 tour, as well. Love it or loathe it, it was their biggest tour ever. Giants Stadium sold out four times over, but relegated to a footnote in the film.

10. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yeah, someone else here said that you can see Pete running back in one of the multi-angles in the DVD extras, which I’ve never watched entirely.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  11. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

The song is taken from two takes. Take one goes through to the laser sequence. The laser sequence and the slide were filmed the following day. Note there is no crowd during the slide, something like take 17. After the slide to the end of the song is take two. After the end of the song of take one the band just stand there before uneventfully walking offstage, part of this is included in the DVD extras. Stein realizing this was be an awful way to end the film begged the band to play the song again. The band were having none of it and Pete in particular got angry. Finally they agreed, with Pete angry good things usually happen and Stein got the ending of the film he wanted.

DrBeatle, longdist01 and O Don Piano like this.
  12. Jack of most

Jack of most Forum Resident

This video certainly captured each of the bandmates style and craftsmanship! Awesone version!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  13. Herman Schultz

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Everything after the slide is not a different take. Just watch the unedited multi-camera footage. It's all one take with two inserts. Each insert is only a second or two and they are both video only, not audio. The first insert is Pete strutting across the stage pulling his shirt open. That brief shot is from the 1977 Kilburn show. The second insert is the slow motion slide. That's it.

EDIT: And the laser sequence is an insert, of course. But that's obvious.

aphexj and DrBeatle like this.
  14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

If Pete's slide was a re-take done after the fact with no live audience, why did the lighting tech f*** up the cue and leave Pete in darkness for part of it? That seems like a fully LIVE mistake to me. You can see the top of Pete's head and the audience in the Ox Cam angle when Pete does the slide on the DVD; that definitely happened during the live show

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  15. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Woodstock 1994 was shot on analog Hi-Vision.

16. Dave_L

Dave_L Forum Resident

Baba O'Riley now added in 4k.......

17. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Supposedly You Better You Bet has now been added in 4K but I'm only seeing 1080p.

Ernest T likes this.
  18. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Now A Quick One at the Rock‘n’Roll Circus has received the 4K treatment.
    Great Job!

19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

^
    Not TKAA version ............so these videos are NOT from an upcoming reissue of the film.

BeatleJWOL and Herman Schultz like this.
  20. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I think this is part of the public relations campaign that began the week after the New York Times published a long story about the fire at the music archive on the Universal back lot.

As a vintage CD hunter I see countless copies of Bryan Adams CDs in the bins. I’m not a fan, but this guy made a lot of money for A&M, now owned by Universal. In the eight years between the fire and the Times article Universal couldn’t be bothered to pick up the phone and tell Me. Adams that his physical master tapes and outtake s were gone.

The release of the high resolution videos was also covered by the Times. It’s nice, to see previously crappy looking videos fixed up, but this can’t make up for the lost Chuck Berry master tapes.

21. Herman Schultz

I'm very surprised that there seem to be zero threads about that topic in this entire forum. Is it being suppressed?

mdm08033 likes this.
  22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.