The Who, Who's Next VINYL, my pet theory

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sungshinla, Jan 30, 2007.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Although, looking now, the W1 and W1-2 *aren't* the same cut.

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

The writing on the W1 side 2 is identical to the W1-2 except for the addition of the "-1" whereas on side 1, while the handwriting is the same (Doug Sax and his "8") the writing is NOT identical to that on the W1. But the bands separating the tracks and deadwax size/runoffs are still identical.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They aren’t. Look again.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

To be clear, looking now:

Side 1
    MG7-12888-W1-2
    MG7-12888-W1

Similar handwriting, but nothing is identical. If you match up the runout grooves on both the grooves between songs are clearly different.

Side 2
    MG7-12889-W1-2
    MG7-12889-W1

Again, similar handwriting, but nothing identical, and the writing is in totally different places in the runout. And again, if you match up the runout grooves, the grooves between songs don't match up.

Two totally different cuts.

(Albeit likely done around the same time).

5. marblesmike

My mistake on the writing. I'll have to do some A/Bing. The tracks on at least Side 1 look identical to me. Side 2 seems a tad hotter on the W1.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They aren't, as above.

7. marblesmike

Alright, shootout time. Who's Next W1 vs W1-2. Both needledrops were done on the same equipment/software with the same settings. I also normalized both to -3.05dB so that the volumes should be similar. @lukpac is correct: while both cuts are Doug Sax's work they are not identical and do sound different. After working on these needledrops I have my favorite of the two, but I am curious what people here think since both are similar and very good sounding.

Four sets of samples, two from each side. I will put the "answers" in a separate text file so you can use your ears first to decide.

Sample 1 - Bargain
    Sample 2 - The Song Is Over
    Sample 3 - Going Mobile
    Sample 4 - Behind Blue Eyes

Mega link to folder

dee, Bill Pafford, Sean and 5 others like this.
  8. marblesmike

Bumping this thread to shamelessly promote my post above.

I thought now with everything going on that folks might want to escape a little and do some fun A/B-ing and discussing of a classic LP and two of its most beloved pressings. Are they both the same cut or are they different? Which one is better?

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I can’t speak to the W2, but I have a UK Track 1st press and a W1 US. They are similar (for obvious reasons), but the UK Track is the better of the two (both sides). I am not one of those who believes only one side of the UK Track was a Dog Sax cut.

AaronW and pmdclassics like this.
  10. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I have a ‘73 rainbow MCA W3/W1 in pretty stellar condition but frankly it’s a fairly dull experience. Like, everything sounds good but there’s very little energy in this pressing, and Keith in particular sounds too muffled. It’s the kind of record that if it was Joni Mitchell I’d be loving every second of it but for a Who album it comes up short. Again, not bad, just bland.

11. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Some thoughts and speculation on the different W1-cuts:

There are four main W1 variations: W1, W1 X, W1-2 and W1-2 X.

Now, I need some TML historians to chime in here at some point, but we know that from at least 1972 Doug had three cutting machines that would run simultaneously. Those were two Scullys and a Neumann. He would always put TML-M (Scully master), TML-S (Scully slave) and TML-X (Neumann) in the dead wax, and I'm sure there are audible differences between all of his M/S and X cuts. Some might strongly prefer the X, for all I know. But they initially come from the same mastering.

I don't know if Doug had three machines as early as the summer of '71, but let's say he only had two; a Scully and a Neumann. That would account for W1 and W1 X - two different machines that would cut simultaneously; the X (Neumann) being a slave of the Scully. As Luke wrote, there are clear visible differences between W1 and W1-2; more than the difference in machinery would account for, and W.B. pointed out in one of our TML-threads that the spacing of lead-ins and lead-outs on TML-X lacquers (at least up to 1981-82) were the same as Scullys (32.3125 or 14.729167 lpi lead-in and 3.92 lpi lead-out), so that would probably mean that Neumann's "X" cuttings at the time had the positionings "guided" by the "M" Scully.

Following this logic, W1-2 and W1-2 X are re-"simulcuts" done sometime in late '71, or early '72 before TML acquired a second Scully lathe. As always, lacquers were thrown together in all sorts of combinations by Decca, so they subsequently turned up all over the place. W2 follows the same pattern with X and -2, whereas afaik only one W3 lacquer was cut (from the Scully master, perhaps?).

AntLantic, dee, Ere and 9 others like this.
  12. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

Featuring, THIS thread and YOU! :cool:

TerpStation, Sean and maui jim like this.
  13. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing. And the hard work it was to produce this piece. It is a shame how one of the greatest albums of all time is treated by its record company,.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Sean and candyflip69 like this.
  14. candyflip69

Thanks Jim - it only took a month.

TerpStation likes this.
  15. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

The rainbow label copy has the channels swapped.

candyflip69 likes this.
  16. candyflip69

I noticed that too - and I can guarantee it was nothing I did during the rip!

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

This seems plausible. I recently found a Decca W2 X copy but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

18. Terry

Terry Senior Member

After endless chasing for the perfect sound, is it possible that Who’s Next is not the finest recording?

jim249, john lennonist, bkbk and 2 others like this.
  19. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Holy Grail man. Holding onto 5.1 hope for 50th anniversary edition. Got to live for something

Chemguy, J_D__, Terry and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

The recent MOV pressing is amazing sounding. Get it while you still can. Has the 95 remix on it. Only place to get it on vinyl is the MOV.

dee likes this.
  21. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I actually played four different copies of the W-1, W-1-2, etc. Deccas a couple weeks ago. Just in the background on my office system over the course of a few days while I was working. A couple definitely stood out, didn't really keep track of which was which though.

I will say it was a great way to spend the time!

ODShowtime likes this.
  22. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I've had a bunch of Sax's go through my hands and I could never tell any difference. I settled on the best condition which was a later 72ish pressing.

I have German one too that is right there also Sax mastered.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

The pandemic has been hard on all of us.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Playing mine right now. On most days, like today, it’s the best pressing I own. And I own too many.

Thanks for the great comparison vid. I found the Decca veiled in every example, and the MOV had fine clarity.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    candyflip69 and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. candyflip69

Appreciate you watching.

I opened and played the Masterphile when I received it, BTW, and quickly put it away (sold it actually).
    I preferred the MOV.

Chemguy likes this.