The Who's Masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Jan 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Who’s Next but Quad is a very close second imo.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  2. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

In terms of artistic growth and impact in the timeline of their career, the answer is "Tommy".

3. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Quadrophenia comes SO close, and it is amazing, but if I gotta pick one then it's Who's Next all the way.

Smiler likes this.
  4. siebrand

siebrand music lover

a bit surprised that it is not, here, "TOMMY".....

acetboy likes this.
  5. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

It shouldn’t be that hard to pick

Buddybud, uzn007 and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  6. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I voted for Who's Next because Baba O'Riley is the best rock song ever created.

Sci-Flyer and Herman Schultz like this.
  7. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

............ - Sell Out, no competition. :cool:

It contains not only several of their very best (and partly underrated) songs but is also soundwise their strongest release.
    Especially if you put the irresistible first British Mono pressing on your turntable.... :righton:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....................... [​IMG]

Jon H. and Weirwolfe like this.
  8. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I voted "other" because, although I think Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia are all "excellent" albums, they all have enough faults to disqualify them from being called "masterpieces," an overused term (like "genius") that should only be applied to a deserving few IMO.

If your definition of "masterpiece" is simply an artist's best work, then I'd still have some difficulty picking one of the above because each has something going for it that the others don't. For example, Tommy has more restrained boisterousness and more musicality and variety than Who's Next or Quadrophenia. However, Who's Next has Won't Get Fooled Again and Behind Blue Eyes, which are arguably better tracks than anything on Tommy. Quadrophenia is a bit more consistent, but has a downer woe-is-me vibe that hasn't aged well to this listener, but rocks harder (Moon is insane on it) than Tommy while sharing a similar epic quality due to its double record length.

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Who’s Next is my favourite rock album.

It’s their greatest achievement, IMO.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  10. holyroller

holyroller Well-Known Member

I think it's funny people put Quad over Tommy when honestly Tommy blows it out of the water. Who's Next still #1 though

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I voted with my heart for Sell Out here, which holds up for me as their most purely enjoyable conceptual effort. By comparison, Tommy seemed to get bogged down in the storytelling despite some great moments. You can make a strong case for Quadrophenia as well. Who's Next features some fantastic songs, though it suffers from over-exposure.

Smiler likes this.
  12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

4 great great albums. I voted for Who's Next (although Sell Out is my personal favorite).

Smiler likes this.
  13. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I think it's funny that you put Tommy over Quad when, honestly, Quad blows Tommy out of the water (and Who's Next.) ;) -E

14. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

My favorite Who is early Who so I chose Sell Out, but my real favorites are the My Generation album (UK version with the long Kids are Alright) and the old bootleg Who the F that has the High Numbers sides and some of the best BBC tracks.

15. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

Essential Who LPs are "My Generation", "The Kids Are Alright" and the compilation "Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy", and those later compilations containing odd b-sides and EP stuff.

The 4 LPs in the vote are all big names but rather patchy to me. "Tommy" is about the best, then "Who Sell Out", which is rather fun. "Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia" are vastly overrated.

"Live t Leeds" is diabolically bad!

16. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

^^^???^^^

Mechanical Man likes this.
  17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Who's Next.

Odysseus likes this.
  18. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Quadrophenia

19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Who's Next

But not even listing my 2nd fave, Happy Jack, is a 'orrible dis!

20. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Quadrophenia has grown on me over the years but it is slow to start (two out of the first three tracks are instrumentals/ambient noise) and I tend to lose focus whenever "Drowned" comes on... I've just never cared for that song.

Tones likes this.
  21. Tones

Tones Resident Resident

I hear you. Drowned was never one of my favorites either. But this gave me a new appreciation of the song. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  22. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

QUADROPHENIA!!!

blaken123 likes this.
  23. donmac

donmac Forum Resident

Seeing the mentions of "Lifehouse" in this thread and its well-known connection to (or salvaging into) "Who's Next", I have to admit that for years I knew "Lifehouse" only as a failed project but I did not understand what the whole project was intended to be and why it failed until I saw this video explaining it:

Herman Schultz likes this.
  24. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

sell out for me...

25. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I'm personally glad Lifehouse failed because it led to Who's Next.

uzn007 and ARK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.