The Who's Masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Jan 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

One of the problems with a "opera" is that the lyrics need to convey the plot and tend to get in the way of the song. This happens in Tommy and is one of the reasons I don't pull it out too often. Quadrophenia works much better as an album IMO.

Maybe the "plot" (of Quadrophenia) is a lot looser as a result. On the other hand I prefer the movie version of Quad over Tommy also.

Jet Age Eric and Mark J like this.
  2. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

I voted for WN and I'm really hoping for a super duper deluxe release next year - 50th anniversary.

3. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Who's next is a phenomenal album. Simply sublime. We saw them at Sheffield Arena years ago. We were right down the front. Entwistle's solo was mind boggling as he stood in front of a mountain of amps.

4. tages

tages Senior Member

A QUICK ONE is still my fave.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Who’s Next may be the best “album,” but Tommy is just a magnificent accomplishment. As an album, I don’t think it’s a strong and Who’s Next, but as a composition/live performance, I feel it was their crowning achievement.

uzn007 and Herman Schultz like this.
  6. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

I'd flip that:

Best song - "Baba O'Riley"

Best album - Quadrophenia

Jet Age Eric and Sci-Flyer like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Tough question. For me it's My Generation, The Who Sell Out and Who's Next.

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

9. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Who's Next. I think it's the greatest album of 1971 as well.

10. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

In my opinion, it's the greatest album of the '70s.

J_D__ and Herman Schultz like this.
  11. muzikgeye

muzikgeye An old guy who will be buried with his music.

So, as one of the biggest Who fans, notwithstanding the Poll choices, my vote goes to the album that will only live in Pete Townsend's imagination: Lifehouse. We know the songs that might have been on it, but the opportunity has passed when the full participation of the band would have rendered Lifehouse the crowning glory in the history of the Who. I know this may be hyperbole, but the realization of a complete Who Lifehouse, though will never happen, is the spiritual unknown that lingers in the Who legacy that is frustrating to accept, yet we are designed to accept as a casualty of that which is rock and roll lore.

CrawdaddySim1 and Herman Schultz like this.
  12. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I dunno - what's a masterpiece? No vote from me.

At the particular time of their conception, recording and release, all of them are / were. You can throw My Generation in there too as being the toughest, hardest-hitting rock debut of the 1960's.

The The Who Sell Out 1996 remaster was a masterpiece as it finished and time-stamped a masterful pop concept that wasn't fully realised in 1967.
    Tommy was a masterpiece in that it was on such a scale, so early addoing what had only been hinted at previously. It was the catalyst for The Who becomimg history's greatest live act.
    Who's Next was a masterpiece in its concise presentation and the high technical quality of the recording as well as the material raising the band's bar on the stage, night after night.
    Quadrophenia was a masterpiece in terms of the depth of the story it told and the cultural impact it would have across many subsequent decades and will continue to have in the future.

No single one of them defines - or should be expected to define - The Who IMVHO.

13. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Who Are You is the Who album I usually rank as my #1.

Really every Who album gets a 5/5 from me though.

Jet Age Eric and uzn007 like this.
  14. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

J_D__ likes this.
  15. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

Quadrophenia. Who's Next is very nearly perfect... this one is even better and also there's more of it.

16. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Who's Next. It's the perfect length (I love Tommy and Quad but I don't listen to double albums often) and the songs just feel a bit more timeless and is overall stronger than Sell Out (though Sell Out is great as too). "Baba O'Reilly", "Behind Blue Eyes" and of course "Won't Get Fooled Again" are three monumental songs that are ingrained in pop culture, not something I can really say about any song on Sell Out.

Herman Schultz and blaken123 like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Quadrophenia

But I also think an album can have more impact based on when it time you heard it (got Quad the day it was released) and memories that are attached to the music for a particular individual. When it comes to The Who, all choices need to be respected.

blaken123 and Herman Schultz like this.
  18. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

That's funny... I've only been familiar with Quadrophenia for a few years but I think it's the best. I didn't grow up with it and I don't really know much about its "story" or context ... It's just a nonstop, killer set of songs.

Jet Age Eric and scotti like this.
  19. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Quadrophenia is their masterpiece but Who's Next is their best album.

J_D__ and ti-triodes like this.
  20. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Who's Next

J_D__ likes this.
  21. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I voted for Quad but could have just as well gone with Who's Next. Quadrophenia grabs you by the balls from the first note and doesn't let go. Who's Next is a masterpiece, no doubt, But I played it to death the first few years after its release and I think I am still a little burned out. Oldies stations still play it all the time.

J_D__ likes this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I voted for Who's Next because I see it as the quintessential Who album. So much power and majesty. When you see all the songs that Pete had going on at the time (for the Lifehouse project really) you realise that he had before him the greatest rock album of all time. It all got too much for him but hell, Who's Next will do.
    I suppose Tommy really is Pete's recorded masteriece but the feeble production lets it down a little. I don't love it any less though really.
    I should adore Quadrophenia but a bunch of tracks annoyed me so I never took to it as a complete work. I think I bought it twice and sold it. Perhaps I should give it another go.

Jet Age Eric, J_D__ and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  23. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Who's Next. Add in the discarded Lifehouse project songs and there's really no contest. Pete at the peak of his songwriting powers, and the band's performing chops were never better. Quadrophenia contains moments of greatness, but it's patchier and the "story" (if one could call it that) just doesn't grab me.

J_D__ likes this.
  24. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

I'm not a passionate Who fan, but I'll pick Who's Next as their masterpiece. Wedged in between two wildly ambitious double albums (and salvaged out of the rubble of another) Who's Next benefits from being so concise. Moon, Daltrey, and Entwistle seem liberated by not having to follow a plot or tell a story - they dig deep into, then explode out of some of Townshend's best songs. This is the Who - as a band, as a single creative unit - at their absolute peak.

tkl7 likes this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Who's Next. I never took to Quad, even thought I wanted to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.