The Who's Masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Jan 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I went with The Who Sell Out...

To me I grew up with the Who during the 60s & their 70s output lacks the magic that the core 3 records maintain & although Who's Next caught their live attack like no other studio work had done before or since I still hear it & the rest of their 70s output as the lesser of the 2 decades of brilliance...

In order of preference...

1.The Who Sell Out...a brilliant parody of pirate radio, hell if they could of got away with it the Who would've undoubtedly slip themselves some payola as well, a perfect record - A+

2.My Generation...the band was moving so quick that their audience was trying to keep up but by the time they sort of did the Who had moved boldly on - A

3.Happy Jack (US)...at times a unnerving tribute to the Beach Boys but it also contained the bands finest rock opera A Quick One - A-

4.MBB&B...Townsends referred to this as the Who's greatest record & the foundation of who The Who really is, hard to argue with genius - A+

5.Who's Next...the internationally acclaimed master work - A

6.Quadrophenia...their 3rd best attempt at rock as opera - B

I made my point

Bill likes this.
  2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Quadrophenia is the most fully realized in terms of story, but I voted for Who's Next because, overall, the material is stronger (in my subjective opinion).

I like Sell Out but the Who was still largely a singles band at that time, and struggled with consistency with the "filler" tracks.

Tommy sounds both unfinished and bloated, and could have been greatly improved if some fat had been trimmed off and what remained were more fully cooked and seasoned.

SteveM and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

So what do you think of Its Hard ? Or indeed Endless Wire ?

4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The question was not directed at me - but I think It;'s Hard is a decent album with some excellent songs, though not up with their best.
    I haven't heard Endless Wire.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  5. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

I voted for Whos Next, my favorite album by The Who.

Scope J and SteveM like this.
  6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Tommy
    Who's Next
    Sell Out
    Quad
    EW

DK Pete likes this.
  7. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I play Who's Next, Quadrophenia, and Live at Leeds a ton. Right about here a best hits fits in. Your pick; I just create my own playlist nowadays. Then, Tommy a bit less, and Sell Out a bit less than that. Then its on to By Numbers and Who Are You.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  8. bosie

bosie Forum Resident

Every one on the list is a masterpiece in its own way, I’d add By Numbers and Live at Leeds to that list as well. Incredible run of... Masterpieces!!!

9. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Who’s Next is a perfect album.

Also, it has Baba O’Riley. Which you can’t not dance to.

J_D__ likes this.
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Subjectively, our top four match head to head; objectively, Who's Next gets the crown.

Scope J and Guy Smiley like this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

One of the greatest accidents in the history of rock music. Who’s Next is tight - there isn’t a wasted second.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  12. dee

dee Senior Member

Tommy
    Quad
    Sell Out
    Who's Next (great but...)
    My Generation (plus all 1965 extras)

13. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

I've voted already for 'The Who Sell Out' one year ago (The Who's Masterpiece? )

................... The Who Sell Out - The Who | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

Meanwhile I have sold all their studio albums released after Tommy.
    Can't stand those Synthesizers on 'Who's Next' & 'Quadrophenia' anymore. :shake:
    It's a pitty, because apart from the 'synth-spoiling' Who's Next contains several strong songs (contrary to 'Quadrophenia' - which has a few unremarkable filler tracks for me). :kilroy:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  14. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Who’s Next. Even if it is slapped together from a bigger project. I’d also add By Numbers to the list.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.