The Who’s ‘Tommy’ - New 2022 Half-Speed Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benn Kempster, May 11, 2022.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What I meant was that I found the same tracks on the Gray mastered version to be warmer and punchier sounding

ODShowtime, marcb, teag and 3 others like this.
  2. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

A half-speed master of this came out in, I think, 2017, along with Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy, and it’s still available. Comes in a gatefold, I think with a scattered photo montage of the memorabilia. I don’t have this one but do have MBBB, which uses all the old duophonic fake stereo mixes, and yet it still sounds pretty good if you crank it loud. So those two titles might be be part of this campaign.

DK Pete and landerstnkb like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yes, I have the 2017 half speed of LAL. I also have a UK single LP version of it which mimics the original release far as track lineup ( some albums, you just can’t help buying over and over).

ProfBoz likes this.
  4. DocShipe

DocShipe Forum Resident

I’m tempted to get this but thought the last reissue of Tommy sounded fantastic. I really want another version of Quad as the last reissue really downplayed the low end.

I’ll defend the Stones reissues—I liked the Exile half speed but I seem to be in the minority. Black and Blue sounded amazing to me. Was disappointed by the RAM half speed but have heard raves about Macca’s debut.

DK Pete and ProfBoz like this.
  5. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

An original ‘69 Decca first press (pretty good)
    German reissue from the ‘81 Phases box set (horrible)
    Kevin Gray cut and remaster from 2014 (awesome)

sharedon and DK Pete like this.
  6. landerstnkb

I too like that reissue of MBBB despite the fake stereo tracks. I was disappointed with that Live At Leeds because it had remixed tracks instead of the original mixes. The three disc release, on the other hand, sounds great.

J_D__ and DK Pete like this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Re: your second paragraph...we agree on all points. I was actually a little surprised when I read all the strong negativity on the Exile half speed. I have both *that*, and an original '72 pressing; maybe my ears are slanted in a wierd angle but I thought /think the half speed sounds better. Just another opinion, I guess.

fmfxray373 and Man at C&A like this.
  8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Based on The Who half speed master releases, we should see Quad released in the next year to year and a half.

jmatuchi, perplexed and DocShipe like this.
  9. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Gray cuts from tape and Showell from digital intermediaries. That’s relevant IMO

O Don Piano, misteranderson and J_D__ like this.
  10. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Showell cuts from digital.

J_D__ likes this.
  11. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

You .. and everybody else! I always have to take out my round file when I get an Optimal record. They're not difficult to fix usually and require only minimal intervention, but it's a pain in the rear! I can't understand why the stampers cannot be locked in place when the pressing run begins? It's fundamental to the entire concept of pressing records correctly. I wonder is it carelessness on the part of the employees who are not overly attentive about setting up the press or that the presses are old and maybe not working properly? It seems to me, based on some limited experience I will admit, that 'off centre' spindle holes are not so much of a problem with records pressed on the Canadian WarmTone presses. I would love to know why this happens, particularly in this modern vinyl era!

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

To those that have bought this...has anyone in addition to @Tommyboy experienced off center issues?

13. Eddfriz

Eddfriz Forum Resident

My copy is flat and perfectly centred, thankfully.

I'm really impressed with this reissue. The acoustic guitar shines and you can hear every beat of the percussion with real clarity. To my ears it's a balanced, well mastered album.

I was extremely pleased with the RSD half speeds (Odds and Sods, Faces Dances and It's Hard) and also My Generation and A Quick One but was a bit sceptical if I needed another copy of Tommy (I've got an original UK Track and the 2012 Studio Albums box set) but I'm so glad I picked this up and am looking forward to the next releases.

The packaging is stunning and very well done. My only gripe with Tommy is, it's very difficult to get the first record in and out and, the records are in crappy paper sleeves.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback, including the paper sleeves. While they're not a deal breaker, I can't understand why any "important" reissues like this wouldnt come with lined inner sleeves. I also have the RSD Odds and Sods...very nicely done.

15. Highwaystar

Highwaystar Forum Resident

To anybody that has bought this:

Do the sides run in the old fashioned auto-changer way or has that been 'fixed' from my version?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, to put it another way, I have to grab the second disc to play side B, side C is on the back of disc 1. I find this a real pain and if this version is good I may consider getting it.

JEM512, landerstnkb and dee like this.
  16. Eddfriz

Eddfriz Forum Resident

It's been "fixed" so side 1 & 2 are on the first disc and 2 & 3 on the second.

17. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

18. Highwaystar

Thanks. Ordered

Eddfriz likes this.
  19. Eddfriz

Eddfriz Forum Resident

Apologies, I meant sides 1 & 2 are on record 1 and sides 3 & 4 on record 2.

Highwaystar likes this.
  20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I picked up Tommy today. The first thing that I hear is more detail with the acoustic guitar and deeper bass guitar. This is my go to version. I have the Japanese Super deluxe CDs, HD download and the original Decca albums

21. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

I'm an idiot, so of course I bought it... Let see if there are other versions to purge, will give it a good listen.

dee and landerstnkb like this.
  22. Highwaystar

I didn't even spot your mistake .

Feels like fate because I saw Daltrey last night and was inches from buying a T shirt, stopped myself and now this comes out at roughly equivalent cost!

Eddfriz and dee like this.
  23. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Forum Resident

the detail in the acoustic and the depth of the bass were also most impressive to me. I think on side 1 I might have heard one or two quick little bits of no fill but not enough to bother me. I’m real glad I picked this up!

J_D__ likes this.
  24. landerstnkb

Holy crap, you ain’t kidding! I switched the records to poly lined paper sleeves and had a tough time getting that first record back in the sleeve. In the process of doing this, it made a small tear in the fold crease of the jacket :(

25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I created a digital version from the vinyl and play it multi channel:)