The Widow - Amazon/ITV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just finished watching this 8 part mini-series and I thought it was very good. It's a missing person type drama that takes place in the Congo, Africa, starring Kate Beckinsale, Alex Kingston and Charles Dance.

I really liked Beckinsale and thought she gave a great performance. The plot was involving and while it got perhaps a little convoluted towards the middle, it tied everything together by the end.

Oh and the little girl playing Adidja was really good too. Well worth checking out.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  2. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

We watched the first ep the other day, and came away not so compelled to devote more watch time. Maybe...

One thing I did note after catching the first "Underworld" movie from 2003 last night, is that Beckinsdale hasn't aged in 17 years!

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

She looked great in The Widow and reminded me of Rhona Mitra a lot (or the first Romana in classic Dr Who!).

Rhona Mitra:
    [​IMG]

GodShifter likes this.
  4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I finished it the other day and thought is was pretty bad. I think if you stopped at ep. 7, maybe OK, but the tidy ending episode was beyond any sort of belief and resorted to a lot of cheap writing.

What saved this show (at least a little) was Charles Dance, whose role becomes bigger after the first few episodes.

As for Beckinsale, this role requires some acting ability, and that is a problem. Maybe the script is more to blame, but it just didn't work for me.

Loved the locations though.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Got through this first episode and was cool with it. I got sidetracked, though, but intend to get back to it. It seemed pretty good.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I finished this a couple of days ago. Overall, I liked it, but I had part of the ‘mystery’ figured out early on. The rest, not so much.

I felt this was a cleverly done series with good acting. Kate Beckinsale might not knock your socks off as an actor, but she’s certainly not terrible (and nice to look at, too). Much of the cast was first rate.

I didn’t find the ending “cheap” but it certainly put a bow on everything. That’s not always necessary, but it worked okay here.

It’d probably give this a high 7 on a scale of one to ten. Some slight problems, but, overall, I enjoyed it.

Deesky likes this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't know about that. I saw her recently in a bad movie from 1994 "Royal Deceit" and didn't even recognize her. Maybe she's had work done, but got it done early.

8. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I am finally watching this. It has been in my Watchlist for a long time. It is very good. There are a few tells but overall it is very good, fairly truthful about the overall conditions and thought provoking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.