“The Wonder Years” — premieres September 22, 2021 on ABC.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 26, 2021.

1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I loved the original growing up, and this looks great. I’m looking forward to getting to know these characters.

Shawn, Grand_Ennui, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

It'll be tough to match the original. Will it be pandering or dig into the social issues of the time? It's all on the writers and showrunner.

3. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I watched the original ! I will watch this ! need more feel good stuff at this time !

Fishleehooke likes this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'm going to give this new show a chance.

5. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Actually looks like it’s made with love and care. I hope it will be a succes.

Fishleehooke likes this.
  6. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I like that the family dynamics are different in this incarnation: the father, for example, is a college professor and seems a lot more approachable than the cranky, blue-collar Jack Arnold, and the main character doesn’t seem to have an older brother.

I feel like while this show is going to follow the Wonder Years formula, it’s more or less going to be its own thing.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved the original. Hoping for the best.

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

looking forward to the upcoming comments! I did watch the original. I'm gonna watch this as well...

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too!

10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

The original is one of the best shows ever. Will not bother with this. Leave the classics alone!

Nephrodoc, Exotiki, Bachtoven and 4 others like this.
  11. Fishleehooke

Fishleehooke Forum Resident

Winnie Cooper is my age and I am not sure I will ever get over her. Haha. Yeah I watched the original as it came out and was the age of Kevin. It felt like being him almost. I like this take; it should be cool; tons of 60 soul and rock and funk

smilin ed likes this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

For the naysayers, look at it this way: This is a whole new kid, with an entirely different family and probably different life circumstances than the original. It's not like they're just taking Kevin and his family and turning them into African Americans, they're using the same concept as the original show (that of an adolescent coming of age in the late 60s), but it's really its own new take on a classic show.

Look on it as its own show, and everything will be okay.

PS: Since there's not too much anti new 'Wonder Years' stuff in this thread, my post is really just directed to the public at large that may be against the show, not at anyone in this thread.

The Hud and 905 like this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'll withhold judgment. But for this to work, it'll have to be true to the times, with messaging from the situations. If they use this to grandstand or to provide revisionist enlightenment, it'll be gone quickly.

14. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

‘Nobody likes change’ - Ross Geller (somewhere in the 90’s)

15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I think this is a great idea!
    The only thing I "wonder" about is that when the original series was running (1988-93), the audience this was aimed at was still young enough to have fairly recent and fond memories about the 60s. In 2021, not so much. People in their late 30s these days grew up in the mid 90s-early 200os. I imagine that the young actors in this series will still attract a younger audience and make it a hit though. And it's always good to have music from that era be recognized.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  16. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The original was aired at the time here in Spain too. I used to watch it and liked it

17. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Amen brother, amen.

Spitfire likes this.
  18. Oaw

Oaw Forum Resident

I like the original Wonder Years, I will probably give this a chance. I like how it's a new family, a new perspective on "the wonder years". Will be interested.

19. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

How did you like it? I've got it recording every week, the pilot was pretty good with enough familiar music. That is my main concern. The main boy seems to be a strong actor. The sister and her hinted radical leanings may be too much.

20. Drat, I missed it. Is it on YouTube or somewhere that I can see it now? (Meaning, for free — or can I see it on Hulu for free?)

Too much going on.

21. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Was impressed that Dule Hill was playing such a different character than we’ve seen him play before, and completely believable. He’s the real deal.

The rest didn’t impress me that much, but it wasn’t bad either and I do like a period piece. So I’ll give it a few episodes to see where it goes.

22. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

If the original didn't exist, I suppose this show would have seemed better than it did for me. But the original does exist, and it was fantastic from the very beginning...this one so far is not living up to that greatness. It's just okay (pretty much) so far.

23. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I watched it on Hulu last night. It's set in Montgomery, AL, and I found it interesting that there were references to such Alabama landmarks as Auburn University and Parisian department store.

24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

At least you gave it a fair chance. 1 and done!

25. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Too much about race and I can see where this is headed, throwing modern day sensibilities into the past. Although I didn't grow up in the lilly white middle class suburbs of Long Island like Kevin did, I was his age, give or take a year, when the original took place, and I could relate to it. Can't really relate to a black family from then in the deep south.