The Wonderful Sounds of Female Vocals - Hybrid SACD coming soon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefan Sigurdsson, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The buy/not buy decision is a simple coin flip.

2. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Mine just shipped. I was only charged $27.99 from Music Direct, I must have purchased this at 20% off when it was listed at $34.99. (totally bragging here if you didn't pick up on it)

Playhard2 likes this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great track list.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  4. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I'm really digging the SACD. Rickie Lee Jones doing "Show Biz Kids" is hypnotic.

Shvartze Shabbos and SoundDoctor like this.
  5. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Can't find this SACD Down Under :-(

6. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Anyone seen the SACD available in Australia?

7. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

While I've heard Patsy Cline's song "Crazy" many times before, this was the first time (with this new 2-SACD collection) that I really sat down and gave it a careful "audiophile-attention" listen. And those clicks/pops (on the left channel?) are maddeningly obtrusive. What causes them? Overloaded microphone while recording the bass?

I also hear those clicks (though not as prominently as on the SACD) on this version on YouTube, so I know it's not something introduced on this particular SACD:

I'm more curious about why/how those clicks happened. I did a few searches of the forums to try and find the answer, but I was probably using the wrong keywords, if the answer already has been documented here.

Craig.

8. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

To be honest, I don't think all of the SACD was mastered by Kevin Gray. He cut the vinyl from the files, but some of the files were mastered by Ryan K Smith.

9. weissja

weissja Well-Known Member

Any other thoughts on the LP? Thinking of picking it up. Need more great female vocals on vinyl.

10. SoundDoctor

It’s excellent! Jacket art is probably the worst part, but the LPs sound great! I have test pressings...

weissja and George P like this.
  11. It's a fantastic showcase for any decent audio system. I missed this thread when it first started but have had the SACD since release. It was a must-get for me because of a couple of tracks, including Jennifer Warnes' Ballad of a Runaway Horse. Not a huge fan of AP picking multiple songs from the same singers, but I get that AP wanted to advertise their line-up of album releases. I did enjoy some of the songs new to me, including Holly Cole's rendition of Tennessee Waltz.

weissja and SoundDoctor like this.
  12. weissja

weissja Well-Known Member

Appreciate it! I think i'll pick it up.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  13. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

SACD back in stock at Acoustic Sounds

PhantomStranger and SoundDoctor like this.
  14. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I went through 2 copies that had pressing defects last year, wound up returning them. I had given up, but gave it another shot during Memorial Day sale. I am really glad I did, this one sounds fantastic.

Dorian75 and SoundDoctor like this.
  15. SoundDoctor

It does sound fantastic! The AAA LPs from which these songs come from sound even more fantastic!

Dorian75 likes this.
  16. wvsteveo

wvsteveo Forum Resident

I just received my SACD yesterday. Had been on backorder since December. Listening to Disk 1. Sounds pretty good!

SoundDoctor and George P like this.
  17. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

nice but missing many many essential women!
    like.....oh....I don't know....BOBBY GENTRY!
    and how about ASTRUD GILBERTO

and MRS. MILLS!
    and DEVINE!

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Wait, I'm surprised we haven't tackled this yet...are these, or are these not, all DSD master tracks that have already appeared on various SACD's before, or are these just tracks lifted from various licensed releases from the label? What is the provenance of these tracks specifically...?

19. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I think it serves as a kind of "Berry White - let's get it on" mood maker

20. Some of the tracks have shown up before on various AP SACDs. A few are new to SACD, presumably from projects AP commissioned that haven't seen the light of day.

21. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Anyone notice the Disc Made In Mexico sticker? Do they make SACDs in Mexico now?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.