"The World is Yours" - 35th Anniversary of SCARFACE

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mBen989, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

It's a bad movie that I like.

2. Another great acting performance in 'Scarface' is Robert Loggia as Frank Lopez.

[​IMG]

Ghostworld and mmars982 like this.
  3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Fush yu mang

Spastica and Ghostworld like this.
  4. And of course the fantastic Michelle Pfeiffer...

[​IMG]

Hardy Melville likes this.
  5. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I sure wish they would release the complete soundtrack.

Torontotom likes this.
  6. And soon-to-be Oscar winner F. Murray Abraham as Omar Suarez. Pray you don't meet the same fate as Omar...

[​IMG]

mmars982 likes this.
  7. I don't understand the love for this movie and never have. Is it entertaining? Sure in a grandiose, absurd level. I'm surprised there's any more scenery in the film as Pacino chews it pretty thoroughly.

It's definitely one of DePalma's lesser films. I was surprised that Roger Ebert gave it four out of four stars and yet....he couldn't appreciate an oddball film like "Blue Velvet".

It is certainly entertaining but it's like having a great disc cooked using an overpowering series of spices that just overwhelms the flavor of the disc itself.

"Carlito's Way" is a much better film with a strong performance from Pacino that doesn't eat away most of the scenery.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Same here. I just love the music.

I love this film. It's so entertaining. Great cast. Some actors on the verge of stardom (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Michelle Pfeiffer). Steven Bauer was so handsome and charismatic in this film.

Jerry Horne and Old Rusty like this.
  9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Entertaining but a hard movie to take seriously. Pacino's portrayal of a Cuban had always been hard to watch. He was as convincing as Andy Garcia playing a Corleone!;)

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  10. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I think Roger downgraded because of what looked like suffering on the part of the actress. His concern was the "method" of the actress. A legit concern if you ask me.

As for Roger on Scarface he knows what's up. You can not like a film and yet appreciate its impact.

I have argued with some on the criticism on the contradiction on the fighting to stay alive vs the cashing it in point of view a mere few seconds later.

My point is that a flash of your life passing before your eyes can do that.

I think both are great films in their own way, but stand for different things.

For me, Scarface means more because it is about a victim of his environment yet standing on his values to the bitter end vs the system failing a person after in some eyes as selling out.

Both have merit to be sure, but the first has so much flavor in these times that a ton of people obviously still identify with.

Grandoise to the absurd.. that is the point. It is the imagination of the unobtainable (to some) American Dream to the highest level.

P.S. like others have echoed...there isn't a and actor in this movie...but the cut scenes...like the Angel dude...shows that a weak link could have changed everything.

11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Pfeiffer wanted the part so badly she paid her own travel expenses to travel for repeated auditions. DePalma didn't want to cast her because she was in Grease 2.

Old Rusty likes this.
  12. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Yeah I kinda sneered at that one. I felt it was kinda crappy move..but hey, that is what it takes to fight for what you believe in.

mmars982 likes this.
  13. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

It has its moments but I wouldn't consider myself a fan and I don't rate it as highly as many do. I am going to join the consensus that Carlito's Way is better.

14. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Is it me or is Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio the least-convincing Latino in movie history... if she was any whiter in that movie, she's be Scandinavian!!!

I love me some Scarface... so very OTT, so very operatic, so very, very 1980's... but dang it, it's a riot from start to finish, probably the beginning of Pacino's 'shouty Al' onscreen style of acting, and a film every time you see it on telly, you just have to sit and watch the rest of it. It's a bonkers film but a genuinely compelling one at that.

I agree with @wayneklein though; Carlito's Way is still a much better film...

a customer and enro99 like this.
  15. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

I like to watch Carlito’s Way a day or so after Scarface and imagine an alternate timeline / universe where Tony Monta survives and tries to go straight.

genesim, Linger63 and FourWalledWorld like this.
  16. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

This scene alone makes it a worthy film.

Old Rusty likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ugh, for a time in the 2000's every wannabe gangsta was obsessed with this stupid movie.

a customer and mmars982 like this.
  18. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Watched it for the first time about 18 years ago. Never bothered to watch it since. I do remember laughing out loud at the disco dancing scene.

19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

"Manolo, choot dat pizza chit!"

20. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

It's you. And it would be Latina, not Latino. ;)

Cuba, like pretty much every other Hispanic country, has a fair share of "white" people running around. Firstly, they were colonized by Spain, a European country. Secondly, all have had waves of immigration from Europe as well as the Middle East and Asia (to this day Havana has a Chinatown- "Barrio Chino."

So Mastrantonio as well as Pacino could easily pass for Cubans. Indeed just about anybody could as Cuba is a melting pot much like America, Canada, etc.

The Hermit likes this.
  21. dmiller458

Last time I checked blonde-haired, blue-eyed Cameron Diaz is Cuban.

genesim and Jack Lord like this.
  22. dmiller458

Tony's mother saw right through his BULL-loney. When she told him off was one of the best scenes in the movie.

23. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

There it is.

24. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

This was like Michael in Italy. Just can't decide who was more smitten...though arguably just like with his power, Tony got bored and paranoid quick.

Dear lord her pantyhose legs!

25. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I was more partial Manny's taste in women. Except for Tony's sister of course.

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.