"The World is Yours" - 35th Anniversary of SCARFACE

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mBen989, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I always thought in this case he wanted what the boss had more than he was necessarily attracted to her.

genesim likes this.
  2. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Manny liked the baloon women for sure....not that there is anything wrong with that if genuine.

I always found it ironic that he criticized her for drug use and being a" junkie" taking qualudes escaping pain.

He was so despicable at end not even opening door for friend while...with sister. That looked weird...

3. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Tony's relationship in general to women was "complicated" by his feelings about his sister.

4. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

That last scene with her walking in confusing Tony was disturbing...hot as hell...but disturbing.

I liked his sister all dolled up.

5. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Ah, well consider me educated, illuminated, and enlightened... thanks for that... guess I can enjoy Scarface even more now!!!

dmiller458 and Jack Lord like this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I got a bootleg version. The music sounds better in the movie.

7. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

I liked the relationship between Tony and his close friend Manny (Steven Bauer) in the film. Tall handsome Manny is with him from the boat lift from Cuba, his sidekick through the lean times in Miami working in a fast food joint on through Tony's ambitious and brutal climb into underworld criminality and wealth to becoming a criminal kingpin. Manny was a steadying presence for Tony when he was with him, always trying to smooth out heated and dangerous situations, backing him as usual but always trying to gently pull him back from escalating arguments, trying to calm him when he went off on one of his frequent brash and angry outbursts.

Sadly, in the end Tony's cocaine-fueled emotional demons and jealousy cause him to kill his long-time faithful and steady friend -- a shocking development that showed how copious drugs, jealousy, paranoia and life-is-cheap attitude led to the destruction of one of the best things in Tony's doomed life by his own hand.

[​IMG]

Jack Lord and Old Rusty like this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Good. You keep your hands off her! She’s not for you!

mmars982 likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hancock? Sounds like a bird or something.

Is it a good movie? Not sure, but when I can quote an entire movie there has to be something good about it. I still say it’s Oliver stones script.

genesim likes this.
  10. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

His fall goes to free fall with that movie for sure. His wife leaving him should have been a dead giveaway, but just like his friend trying to pull him back from his outburst in the restaurant it is a man that has so much, that no one can ever really tell him no anymore.

The foreshadowing of this is in the bathtub scene. I cannot for the life of me understand anyone thinking that this is a bad movie with such great stuff such as this. But alas, there are people out there that would actually hate Star Wars or the Godfather. Like in Rocky with Gazzo telling him that it is just hate for no reason...it just is.

11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Here's an interesting fact: Tony is called "Scarface" only once in the movie, in Spanish.

genesim likes this.
  12. In a movie with more than a few disturbing elements, Manny's murder is still the gut-punch for me, as it was when I first saw the movie back in '83. I literally jumped-up in my seat thinking "WTF are you doing Tony?!!" That is the power of cinema in a nutshell. I was so inside the movie I could not fathom Tony taking Manolo's life, as they were like Brothers, a fact that Manny himself says to Gina earlier in the movie. Pure cinema...

[​IMG]

13. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I don't know...my vote goes for the sister at the end, and his behavior after she is dead!

14. Gina's death is yet again a devastating psychological moment in the movie. And the behavior of Tony in this moment is bizarre to say the least. Nobody in their right mind would dispute that. Your own sister? Now that is twisted. Cocaine twisted. Perfect cinema...

15. I don't want to argue about "Blue Velvet" but if he had an issue with the "method" all he had to do was research it a bit or speak to the actress or Lynch. He just didn't like the film at first. He did change his mind with time. You can't assume anything about how the actress was treated on a film based on viewing the film alone.

As to "Scarface" sorry but you won't convince me. It's the equivalent of a Michael Bay film before Michael Bay. DePalma has done better (and some that were worse) but it's hardly a classic IMHO. It also features some of the most ham fisted writing that Oliver Stone ever did. It plays like a parody of a gangster film which clearly wasn't the intention.

Just a bad, bad movie but you're welcome to enjoy it.

Oatsdad likes this.
  16. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

In the outtakes it looks even worse. It is the one thing that turned a dark edge away from the so called blaze of glory.

It was sad an pathetic, but in so many way, it is hard to truly feel sorry for him at the end. He is a despicable character that only had flairs of true emotion....but it is so hard to look away.

What is there to research when you see a woman stripped down to nothing while being physically abused?

While I think the film has merit and it is well done, I still say that what is going on is without question very close to over the line...if it isn't to begin with.

Why does one have to research a train wreck to know exactly what it is?

Here is a great quote from his review:

"The sexual material in "Blue Velvet" is so disturbing, and the performance by Rosellini is so convincing and courageous, that it demands a movie that deserves it. "

Actually you sure about that?

No offense, but I do see a little irony here. For all the same things that Ebert down Blue Velvet, I gotta admit that it can be absolutely applied with your view on Scarface. Just as I see it. But yes, dislike it as well. I respect that.

Really? What is next, Mary Poppins was Friday the 13th in disguise? One can dislike a film without going into the land of the silly.

DePalma had awesome clever acting that didn't throw away or re-use shots for the hell of it.

Even the biggest haters have to give hats off to the chainsaw seen or the finale. Comparing any De Palma film to Bay is just straight up insulting to the nth degree. For the record, I do like Michael Bay's films for what they are....mindless popcorn good lookin' films...but no way shape or form do I use those two directors in the same universe of comparison.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    enro99 likes this.
  17. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Where’d you get that beauty spot, tough guy?

Old Rusty likes this.
  18. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I'm not the biggest fan, yet it appeals to the 80's fanboy in me. Also, if anyone here knows anything about video games, "GTA: Vice City" is pretty much Scarface on the Playstation. Oh, and I do enjoy this song quite a bit

Old Rusty likes this.
  19. [​IMG]

20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Eating pineapple?

How am I gonna get a scar like that eating pineapple?

mBen989, Pelvis Ressley and Old Rusty like this.
  21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This scene always freaks me out hearing Charles Durning's voice over another actor.

a customer and Old Rusty like this.
  22. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I love the TV version for pure comedy.

"One big chicken waiting to be plucked"

enro99, mmars982 and mBen989 like this.
  23. I like a lot of De Palma's films but he has been compared to and called much worse. To each his own.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My issue with De Palma is that he so often wore his influences on his sleeve... and his pants... and his hat. He lacked originality too much of the time...

wayneklein likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.