"The World is Yours" - 35th Anniversary of SCARFACE

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mBen989, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

And yet some people will praise Tarantino etc as if he is not the same with his influences?

If one watches all his films it is like Pacino....no base whatsoever with the conclusion.

Take for instance Casualties of War. Completely lacks the so called DePalma style yet it ages like fine wine to me. Same that Scareface, Carrie has...etc.

The thing is that through several watches I actually see so much more in Obsession and Dressed to Kill then the tired ass Hitchcock comparison that people parrot...and the overlooking of Raising Cain or the Fury is outright criminal.

People follow this point of view like sheep and it is pretty sad.

DePalma is one of a kind and it is simple to imply that he isn't his own person because he shares some themes or music.

Personally I don't see how he is any different then so many other artists...but like say John Wayne's acting...if you make the claim that it is all the same then you have very little knowledge of the work.

Just curious like the direct question I asked about Pacino thst you never answered...how much DePalma work have you actually seen?

Not really. Michael Bay is quite a putdown.

enro99 likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Plenty. Not gonna get into some pissing match where you demand that I prove my worthiness to discuss the subject with you.

Probably not especially productive to call people who disagree with your POV "sheep", but hey, you be you!

budwhite, ElevatorSkyMovie and Efus like this.
  3. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I didnt call YOU anything. I can say that a general point of view is sheep like (and it is) without assuming you are this way.

How do I do this...well I ASKED that you name your experience to perhaps give a reflection on why you have come to what I feel is an offensive conclusion.

That is a far cry from a demand as you have characterized it.

You don't want to quantify your opinion, your right. But being polite and RESPECTFULLY declining is a lot more productive instead of just ignoring and attacking.

I pointed out that you ignored the question and now you move on to putting down De Palma too...and you have now been offended by that too.

Don't you think that a fan of both actor and director would be just a tad bit curious? Is this not allowed after one basically slams an actor's/director's entire career??

A pissing match doesn't have to happen...but the general statements made seem to wildly contradict the reality of say...Blow Out or Bobby Deerfield to name more examples....surely in your "plenty" you have run across these films?

4. Oatsdad

You know they make decaf coffee, right?

budwhite and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Grow up and stop acting trollish.

Why not discuss instead of laying put down bombs and expect us all to admire it.

I would rather have a situation where we could learn from each other instead of just agreeing and stroking an ego.

6. Oatsdad

I dunno - because it's obvious that any "discussion" with you will just result in more pissing contests? :shrug:

budwhite and ElevatorSkyMovie like this.
  7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

What have you discussed? How about trying it instead of assuming. What is "pissing"...not agreeing with you...asking for clarification???....gee asking how you actually came to a conclusion???

8. Dudes...you're harshing my mellow
    [​IMG]

9. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Yeah lets get back to actually talking about the movie. For those that dislike it. Right got it....nothing more? Cool. Now make way for those that actually appreciate the film or for at least DISCUSSION on what some hate about it. I am fine with that too.

10. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

One of the great comedies of the 80's. Cannot be taken seriously.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

"That where they chop 'em up?"

12. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

This is insanely detailed, and insanely great.

The Best Style Moments in "Scarface"

mmars982 likes this.
  13. 'Scarface' is also one of the most beautifully shot Panavision movies of all-time, courtesy of John A. Alonzo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    nosticker and mmars982 like this.
  14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I can't recall if it was used before this film (but have heard similar lines in many films/TV shows since) but I love the line 'this time tomorrow you guys will be working in Alaska'.

Old Rusty likes this.
  15. "So dress warm..."

More sweet Panavision shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    mmars982 and Quadboy like this.
  16. I can't help myself. More awesome Panavision cinematography:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nosticker, mmars982 and alexpop like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Anniversary.
    4K ?

18. alexpop

Luv it bro!!!!!

19. alexpop

Like the interview for the 35th Anniversary with DePalma, Pacino, Pfeiffer & Bauer.

20. alexpop

What happened to the Coen brothers remake of a remake ?

21. alexpop

It just could be my favourite movie of the eighties if it wasn’t for Predator.

22. alexpop

Q?
    When it came out early 1984.( my side of the pond)
    Enjoyed the music, production ..whole she bang.
    Opinion changed ? No!
    Home video ? Lol .. got the blu ray steel book.

23. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

When did I first see it? Probably when it was first on HBO
    What did I think of it? Not much, over blown. I did tell a co-worker that I thought Michelle Pfeiffer was headed for stardom. Probably because she was so beautiful. He was surprised.
    Have I changed my mind? I kind of like it now as an enjoyable bad movie with an over the top performance by Pacino. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio needs a different hairstyle.
    Do I own it? No, not even a VHS or DVD-R copy

24. alexpop

Think it’s got more fans now than it did in the eighties. Cult thing I guess!!!

25. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Don't under estimate the amount of fans brought over from hip-hop sampling the movie.

First time I recall hearing it was on the Geto Boys album "Grip It! On That Other Level." They sampled a bunch of it becuase they said they'd watch the film over and over. Dj Akshen even changed his name to Scarface (and has been a respected rapper for many years now.) Maybe I heard P.E. use it before I heard the Geto Boys, but it was the same summer.

Scarface on WhoSampled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.