The world of aftermarket styli

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jelloalien, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Nothing even to photograph. A small white box made of cheap cardboard with a "LPGear" logo printed in blue on top. Inside - some foam bubbles (popcorn it's called, IIRC) and a no frills clear plastic box containing a stylus. For a mounted cartridge it's even worse - a cart mounted on a headshell inside a small plastic ziploc bag with some of the same "popcorn". The reason I'm not thrilled - that was not an "lpgear" branded item. An A-T cart was sold as "A-T" to me - they might have bothered to give me the original packaging with the papers. The decision that I didn't want it wasn't theirs to make.

Jelloalien likes this.
  2. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

I have been buying Shure V15VxMR replacement stylii direct from Jico for years.
    I think Jico are a fantastic company and will continue to support them...

Jelloalien and PhxJohn like this.
  3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I bought a N21D(for Shure M7D cartridge) from JICO and it was a good experience. They keep in touch with the progress. The stylus seemed to stay in customs for some time in Japan but was in and out of customs in Los Angeles in no time. There is no doubt in my mind that JICO makes the best aftermarket styli. It seems there are only two big players in the aftermarket arena: JICO and whatever the name is of the Swiss manufacturer that has been supplying Pfanstiehl with mag styli for 35 years and is now supplying EVG as well.

McLover and Jelloalien like this.
  4. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Hi Jelloalien,

Is the Tonar 00638-DE a JICO or Nagaoka stylus ? Does Nagaoka make a significant number of models for Tonar other than for Nagaoka cartridges ?

Thank you,
    John

5. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie Thread Starter

Hey John, I don't have a master list or anything indicating the manufacturer (although that would be cool if I did) but to the very best of my knowledge the shure N95ED is Jico made.

I believe the styli I posted on the prior page are what Nagaoka makes for Tonar. They may make others, but unfortunately I’m not certain on which. But I really don't think they manufacture a lot of styli for them.......the large majority sourced by Tonar are from Jico.

PhxJohn likes this.
  6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

7. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I asked because I stumbled upon an old listing on eBay for a Tonar N95ED and the seller stated it was made by Nagaoka. I did not take it as gospel of course as it is eBay. LOL. But it raised my curiosity.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Also, Namiki supplied Shure and others with tips and/or cantilevers (the Shure Micro-Ridge is a known one). Namiki is a major stylus component manufacturer, the largest supplier to this industry.

9. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

They have an interesting website.

McLover likes this.
  10. Jelloalien

Oh for sure! LPTunes (LPGear) is gonna make some mo' money now!

I'm just happy Tonar is able to keep their Jico connection (even though LPTunes has a pretty strong hold now on North America)

Jico wasn’t pricing to be more consistent with their own, and it’s european resellers.
    I believe LPTunes now having Jico packaging, and their pricing, is going to lose some of the other bigger resellers some money

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    PhxJohn likes this.
  11. Jelloalien

I've read forum posts speculating Tonar has their styli made by Jico and Nagaoka. I'm not too sure how eBay sellers might differentiate. I was very confused at one point too (whereas now I’m only mildly confused haha) The n95ed aftermarket also sports jicos classic elliptical dot on the cantilever.

This is my ad with photos - NEW: SHURE N95ED Phonograph Needle (Japanese stylus) (m97xe) | eBay

PhxJohn likes this.
  12. Benzion

Thanks for the info. Just looked at their site - it's definitely "blah". however, Jico styli for many carts, including those I'm interested in, are now on special, for $199 - not bad.

Their cartridge selection mirrors that of LPgear, for the most part, and it sort of looks like the two sites are related, somehow.

13. Jelloalien

Lptunes and LPgear are the same company

PhxJohn likes this.
  14. Benzion

Figures... Why have two websites then?

15. Jelloalien

Now that, I do not know lol

LpGears vividline seems popular (even though I think they are Jico made too haha). Maybe they want to capitalize on having two big products, vividline and Jico. Who knows

16. Benzion

I bought a VL stylus from them for a Pickering XSV3000, which I bought w/o the original one. I have yet to install it - it will replace a Denon DL-110 on a Jelco 10" arm some day, as that arm is the only one I have that can do the VL stylus justice, with all the necessary adjustments it has. So - will report in the future, some day...

Jelloalien likes this.
  17. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I guess I will be selling EVG, Pfanstiehl, and Tonar. EVG's sell for a few bucks more even though they do not cost anymore to buy.

McLover and Jelloalien like this.
  18. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I see that LPTunes sells the VN45HE for $80. Tonar retailers sell it for $126. I think the impact will go beyond North America. Pickupnaalden is the third largest styli retailer. LPGear is fourth.

cjc likes this.
  19. cjc

cjc Senior Member

PhxJohn likes this.
  20. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

21. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Just in the past week or two, I have noticed a jump in prices on the auction site too, from most of the regular sellers of all three brands of "new" aftermarkets. Even the no-brand guy raised two listings from $19.99 to $24.99 and I expect his others to follow.

22. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I will be glad when LPTunes has everything in Genuine JICO packages that is available on JICO's website.

23. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Many of the eBay sellers had bought their supplies when prices were lower.

Jelloalien likes this.
  24. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Do you remove the Tonar labels to get a better picture ?

25. Jelloalien

The cost of the HE and shibata’s recently went up on the dealer end, for Tonar anyway. I should of stocked up when they were cheaper haha

For me, $125usd is roughly $160cdn.
    I too can get the VN45HE and now would likely sell it around $150-160cdn

Sorry, not trying to brag or promote, just for illustration purposes that I think pricing may match up somewhat on some things, I think Jico would prefer pricing to be comparable across the board with their resellers. We'll see I guess. Lptunes is always going to have the edge of getting Jico products direct. No middleman is always best, obviously.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    PhxJohn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.