The world of aftermarket styli

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jelloalien, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'm confused. Are you saying in your second statement that a 5-6 foot run is BETTER than a 3 foot run? That seems like a contradiction of what your first statement said. But I could actually do better with a 4 footer for my system.

A far as an after-market stylus (bringing it back home to the thread topic!) I think I'm leaning towards keeping my 97xE and getting the ViVid Line stylus in my posted link. That may be a better blend than the Jico with my Triangle speakers, which can be on the brighter side. And I can pop on the stock 97xE stylus for very worn records to preserve the new stylus.

2. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Sorry for any confusion. For a given type of cable, a shorter run will always lower the total capitance, all else being equal. But because different types of cable introduce widely different amounts of capacitance, it is not only conceivable but a proven fact that a longer length of cable "A" can have a lower capacitance than a shorter length of cable "B." The data in the Audiokarma thread I linked previously shows this. Some of the 3- and 4-ft cables had significantly higher capacitance measurements than some of the better 6-ft cables.

There are other factors to consider when choosing turntable interconnects. Price, quality of construction and materials, pliability and shielding come to mind. I found a more recent thread about choosing low-capacitance cables in our forums here:
    Low Capacitance Cable
    I'm sure a good search will yield even more useful results. I know Blue Jeans cables have a good, long-standing reputation. Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Went Jico and never looked back.

Wngnt90, cmarti and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

Ditto

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I'm still finding NOS Japanese-made EVGs out there for my Shure M93 cart (PM3139DE) -- not many, but a few. The ones I've gotten have had dots, slim cantilevers, soldered tie wires and ink stamped PM-numbers on the plastic face of the stylus grip. Packaged in a transparent plastic holder with a cardboard backer, similar to current Pfanstiehl packaging. Backer is white with green printed numbers/instructions. Stockpiling these while they're available.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    PhxJohn and The Pinhead like this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I always keep a fresh spare :

[​IMG]photo sharing

7. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Likewise.

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident

Something that I've noticed and it seems to be irrespective of re-seller, has to do with stylus dimensions.

No matter what the original dimensions were, a 0.03 x 0.07 is what one gets for an eliptical and 0.06 for a spherical/conical.

At least that's been so with the styli I've purchased and granted none have been at the financially prohibitive upper end of the price spectrum.

With one exception, a Stanton 681EE, all the styli I've purchased have been satisfactory. Those include several Shure, another Stanton, a couple of Pickerings & Empires, an ADC and even a B&O.

These have been in Tonar & EVG packaging of late but also NOS re-packages from the likes of "The Generic Stylus Company", Duotone, Fidelitone, plus a couple of old "white box specials" with no name at all.

I have given up paying attention to point of origin. The way I've come to view it, the increased demand for and activity in stylus production had upped quality control. I would speculate that getting a bum stylus now is less likely than it was say 5 years ago.

I'm not picky enough or sophisticated enough to justify a hundred plus dollar needle for a $25 when new cartridge. I believe most stylus buyers are of that ilk and whoever is cashing in on the wlndfall knows who is buttering their bread therefore marketing at least a half decent product at reasonable prices.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

What has me puzzled is the wide variation in quality in Swiss-sourced styli. In my brain, the Swiss have years and years of experience making watch bearings - an expertise which may no longer be quite as necessary with the advent of quartz movements. So, does that expertise not translate to styli manufacture?

The Japanese certainly seem to have it down...:sigh:

10. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

I sent a note to LPtunes asking if the N21D stylus replacement they offer is manufactured by Jico and this was the answer:

Hi cmarti,

No, it is not manufactured by JICO.

Have a great day,
    Farrah
    LP TUNES
    www.lptunes.com
    Check out our: Facebook Instagram & Twitter !

11. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Same thought here as well. I would certainly expect better from the Swiss, yet I'm often disappointed with their work when compared to styli made in Japan and Taiwan. Of note, the cantilever suspensions in the Swiss versions seem to give out prematurely.

12. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Anyone make generic for Nagaoka MP-150 / MP-15 ?

13. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie Thread Starter

no sir

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.