The Worst Pricing You've Seen at a Record Store

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by LitHum05, May 6, 2019.

1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident

Record Rama, Pittsburgh, PA - everything. Absolutely everything. Assuming the owner would actually sell you the item (sometimes, he wouldn't, thus missing the point of A STORE.)

That store is not missed, at all.

2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Well, it's the Beatles!!

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

There's nothing new here. Dynamite Records in Northampton, MA was pricing original Beatles and Stones LPs at $20 each back in the early 00s despite the generally trashed condition. On the other hand, you could pick up Neil Young records for around $3 each.

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Things were better before Discogs. I picked up more than one record I sold for more than $100 out of Dynamite's $2/$10 for 10 bins.

5. Tedw9

Tedw9 Well-Known Member

Personally I’m not a fan of Discogs for buying. Ive had terrible luck there. Just today I made a purchase and had it cancelled because they didn’t have the record. One seller, when I purchased a test pressing, sent me the regular copy then took almost a month to refund me after he got his record back. Thats the third time Ive had something cancelled because they didn’t have it and Ive only done/tried to do 5-6 transactions total on there. Nope, I’m over that place for buying.

And today I was back at the Big Chicken Barn because mentioning it made me want to go again. I did score some nice records for a buck each, including a CCR and Jim Croce. Saw a Gene Simmons solo album for $30, some Beatles 45’s for $10 each and lots of other overpriced vinyl.

LitHum05 likes this.
  6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

I always say:
    "Things are priced to sell or priced to keep!"

Strat-Mangler and MerseyBeatle like this.
  7. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Recently visited a collector’s store with records, comics, baseball cards, etc. They had The Beatles ‘Abbey Road’ on US Apple in roughly VG- condition for $200. But it was on sale for 20% off! It was also sitting on the floor with other over priced poor condition LP’s by the front door where it was easily bumped by people’s shoes. It’s probably still there if anyone wants to go and get it. ;)

8. All Down The Line

So a $200 record is a doormatt WT?
    Mad Management Incorporated!

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  9. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Heh, well not a doormat per se, but placing an item you’d like to sell for $200 on the floor and by the door seemed odd. But, asking $200 for a worn copy of Abbey Road is odd too.
    :cheers:

10. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

But it's the Beatles!!! The name alone is worth $120!!!

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  11. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Lol. I love (hate) it when I see dealers at a record show trying to sell LPs that they're asking $50+ for, and they don't even have them in a protective sleeve.

All Down The Line likes this.
  12. All Down The Line

Yes or post them to someone in a .50 cent document mailer.

JasonA likes this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

any used gold CD (DCC or mofi) - minimum $50+

regardless of condition or title.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Forum Resident

There is a shop near me that does this, but their gold discs start at $200 or so...that was a couple years ago, probably still sitting there unsold. They have a lot of vinyl too, but most of it is in terrible condition so I wouldn't buy it at any price.