The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we liked it.

nothing earth shattering but very entertaining. can't ask for much more in any movie.

2. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

My mom and grandparents liked it a lot, I laughed many times but thought it had untapped potential, my dad said it was just okay but I heard him laughing.
    Overall I think it’s a good romcom, which is all it aspires to be. It could have been a more interesting movie with the same premise, but that’s clearly not what it is

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just watched it, thought it was well done, very entertaining. My wife on the other hand, very upset. To her the sun rises and sets on the Beatles. Her car radio has been glued to Sirus’ Beatles channel since it went on the air.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Just the thought of a world without the Beatles was that disturbing to her? What did she think of the scene at the house by the seaside?

kanakaris likes this.
  5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

John was her favorite, she’ll still tear up when one of his songs comes on. In addition she is a Yoko hater, first thing out of her mouth when he talks about a wife was “Which Wife?” followed by questions about John’s son, she’ll never recognize Sean.
    She’s really very normal in all aspects, except the Beatles.
    The funny thing to me is that growing up my best friend was a total Beatles fanatic, that’s all be played. Me personally I like and collect them but not in my top five groups. They just follow me my whole life.

xilef regnu and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

[QUOTE="MLutthans, The Hallmark Movie finale didn't help.[/QUOTE]

That was hard to stomach...the romantic jumbo-tron reveal. I did enjoy the Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da that followed it though. Real kids...having fun singing.

bonus likes this.
  7. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Just saw it tonight. didn't want to. GF made me. Thought i'd hate it. i did. pretty horrible and lazy trite. was gonna give it a 5 (out of 10), but those last 30 minutes were excruciatingly bad, so it goes down to a 4. And who is Ed Sheehan? was he big in england? I'm not one for hollywood fictionalized musical biographies, cuz they always get it wrong, although I realize this wasn't a bio. Just seemed like pablum, lowest-common denominator film-making. The idea, though, was somewhat interesting. Cloying and manipulative---i feel insulted and somewhat abused when I have to navigate through filler like this. Yes, I am a snob when it comes to the cinema. This was not cinema. And did not pretend or mean to be. I'm very harsh. But, life is short. Since I'm one of the biggest knowledgable, intelligent Beatle fans in the world (how's that for humbleness?), this could only have been a let-down. And the ending, with the real Hey Jude played over the credits. Pretty insulting and finger-down-my-throat nauseatingly bad.

8. Chris DeVoe

As revealed by prophecy:

ARK, stevenson66g, 905 and 2 others like this.
  9. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Nice job. You prophet. Yeah, I guess it's just really hard for me to not be so hard on subjects that are serious (to me, anyway). I haven't gone back to read the thread on this. What did you think of the movie, Chris?

Upsiditus likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

I quite enjoyed it, but then I'm just an average American - the sort of person who has heard every Beatle album, and can sing along to at least a couple of dozen songs, but don't consider them my favorite band (although I did go down to Kansas City's Volker Park for the vigil the night John was assassinated.)

And at the same time I'm that rare heterosexual male who genuinely enjoys romantic comedies (married to a woman who enjoys John Woo action films and who saw Fight Club before I did.)

So I saw this mostly because it was a show written by Richard Curtis (Notting Hill, Four Weddings and a Funeral) and directed by Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire.)

I thought it was a love letter to The Beatles and their place in the history of music, coupled with an enjoyable romantic comedy. I'm confident enough in my masculinity that I'm not worried that watching a romantic comedy is going to cause my testosterone to drop to undetectable levels. And I can honestly admit that the scene at the cabin at the seashore got me choked up and weepy.

kanakaris, stevenson66g and 905 like this.
  11. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

When the door opened...I'll admit something unusual happened to my eyes and I had to do some blinking. BUT, I...DID...NOT...GET..."WEEPY"!

kanakaris likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

If you watch it today, you can blame the air quality from the fires.

13. ripdan

ripdan Forum Resident

Wife and I enjoyed it. She is not a Beatles fan (?!) but she likes the songs so hearing them in this setting was nice for her. Interesting choice of lead actor; would not have had the same impact if they had picked a white boy (separate topic?). Loved the live Help on rooftop and the cameo by John.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The first question I had. Who was the wife?

Upsiditus likes this.
  15. Luke The Drifter

I also found it unbelievable that in any universe "the seaside scene" would happen. It just was not his nature to live a normal, quiet life like that. But it was moving.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Hall Cat likes this.
  16. APH

APH Forum Resident

Not a very good film, worse than expected.
    I thought it would be a 7/10, but was more 5/10.
    The comic relief guy was unbearable.
    2 hours was much too long.

17. Chris DeVoe

If he had joined the Merchant Marine he could have had a very eventful life and finally settled down in his late sixties.

stevenson66g likes this.
  18. APH

APH Forum Resident

There was no attempt to make the character a credible version of a possible John Lennon.
    He was merely a plot device to talk about the central character's romantic relationship.
    It then also tried to tug the heartstrings over Lennon's murder.

19. I watched the film on DVD last night. (I enjoyed it, going in with moderate expectations, thanks to this thread.) This morning I realized I forgot to watch the alternate ending. Can someone tell me what it was?

Maybe using the {SPOILER] blah blah [/SPOILER} format (replace { and } with [and ])

20. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I thought it was typical Richard Curtis slush. I couldn't see Danny Boyle's stamp on it anywhere. Good cast and if you like Richard Curtis, a winner.

21. Luke The Drifter

I missed this too and would like to know what it is.

22. Chris DeVoe

Since apparently people refuse to use spoilers, I guess we're discussing this in the open now.

I thought the character was credibly a retired Liverpudlian sailor. Was it a credible version of the man who lived his life in this world as one of the most famous people in it? Short of inventing some way to see the result of timelines in alternative universes, those were John Lennon never met Paul McCartney, we have no way of ever knowing.
    No, it allowed the movie to answer a question that the audience was asking. And of course allowed Jack to get the advice of an older, wiser man.
    Yes, God forbid we should have a moment of emotional catharsis, to see at least one version of this man who would get to live to a ripe old age, content with his life.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    MoonPool likes this.
  23. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

I liked it; The world without the Beatles would be a much poorer place, and not nearly as enjoyable.

The John Lennon part was a jaw-dropper!

Upsiditus and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. APH

APH Forum Resident

I thought it wasn't a credible depiction of a retired Liverpudlian sailor.
    But yes, we have to agree to disagree, I didn't find the depiction credible, you did.
    It obviously answered the question the audience were asking, but then used the character as a device to push forward the romantic plot. I found that irritating.
    Too much of the film script was too on the nose, especially the female character 'oh I'm drunk now, so I can say exactly what I really think' etc.
    I pushed quite hard to get to see this at the cinema, luckily I was outvoted, and watched it alone at home. Lucky escape, this would have been hard to defend to people who had just paid to see it. I knew it was bad as soon as the titles were apparently made by a 5 year old, but it went downhill from there.

25. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

Lennon's depiction owed to a response in a interview: "If I could be a fisherman, I would, but I can't because I'm a f-in' genius!"

In this reality, he was a fisherman.

MoonPool likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.