The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Vidiot...right as usual! ; )

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Gotta admit it - as a Beatles fan I was extremely wary of this one, despite the high quality of so much of Curtis’ and Boyle’s track records.

Thankfully, I was not disappointed. Indeed, this is a charming film.

The main thing I was worried about was how it would resolve. But, not to fear, I think it was a very good resolution.

I loved the surprise appearance of one certain person, and was actually moved to tears by it.

Also, I loved the other things that no longer existed. Totally random and hilarious.

3. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Yeah, I cringed pretty bad with the whole "talk to someone intimately into a microphone" bit at the end. The movie really isn't very good, and made worse by the lead actress being too hot to play the "everyday girl waiting patiently for her crush to come around" thing.

Sear likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Seriously? Am I the only one capable of admitting that I spent most of my youth being completely clueless about women, and that, with the perspective of years, I can see that I missed women dropping hints that I should have picked up on? That I had "platonic" female friends who I miss my opportunity with? Hell, I mowed the lawn of a p0rn star, and managed not to get laid!

5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Have you never seen a single Rom-Com??

(Not that this is a typical one)

Jeez!!!! :doh:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

I'm a fairly big fan of the Rolling Stones, but even so, I know that would never have happened.

Thank you, Vidiot, for pointing out this enormous plot hole.

7. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Man, this movie was tedious and trite with a completely ridiculous premise… IMHO, of course.

Sear likes this.
  8. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

Then again, it happened to Bert Glang and the Fretholes!

9. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

The irony is there are any number of random films, say "Good Will Hunting" for example, that do a better job of portraying a "world in which the Beatles never existed" although they had no intention of doing so...

10. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Is it really true that when Dino, Desi, and Billy recorded "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" they had to pay a large sum for the rights to the song?

11. Chris DeVoe

To record it? No. You can make an audio recording any song you wish to for the same fixed rate. You just visit the Harry Fox Agency, create an account, add payment information and and you pay a set amount per copy. The identifier for that song is Y68400.

Where things get expensive is "sync rights." As soon as you want to link the song to visuals, like in a movie, you have to negotiate with the owner of the song and try to work out an amount.

12. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I enjoyed it! Also have it on streaming AMazon video!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. Steve Carras

In the Streaming Amazon.com video of the movie (which as I've said above I have), the usual "XRay" left side infor giver quotes Mr.Sheeran as being a Beatles fan!

14. Steve Carras

Can't judge without seeing it at least once (time's passed a lot since ten, have you seen it since?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Steve Carras

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Chris DeVoe

It's a fantasy not science fiction, which means the filmmakers were under no obligation to make a plausible excuse for how this happened - they can just say "a wizard did it." But if it were science fiction we could posit that Jack slipped from the universe in which the Beatles existed into a parallel universe where they didn't. The many worlds hypothesis insists that there are multiple parallel universes, some in which John Lennon and Paul McCartney met, and some in which they didn't.

Did the Jack from our universe trade places with a Jack who had never heard of The Beatles?

17. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

Chris DeVoe, you are the best. :):):)

Lewisboogie and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Nope. I have better things to do with my life, like watch and listen to things that actually attract me.

19. Chris DeVoe

Your loss.

One of the many great moments in the film is Jack playing the title song for his friends after he's given a guitar to replace the one that was smashed by a bus.

It's not about his playing or singing, it's about a group of people who've never heard that song before. Up until this moment, they've just known him as their friend who is a failed and mediocre songwriter. But he plays something that is pretty universally acknowledged as one of the greatest pop songs ever written, and they're stunned.

It's totally worth seeing just to experience a group of people having that same moment of discovery that we all had with a truly great piece of music.

20. Chris DeVoe

I wish I could say "that's what she said!" But it wouldn't be true.

Lewisboogie, mozz and Andy Smith like this.
  21. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I don't get it. You're in a thread about a film that is either yes or no, but you haven't even SEEN it
    yet, but you're dismissing it. Why are you here?

Lewisboogie, Upsiditus, bonus and 2 others like this.
  22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It wasn’t great. It needed more to the story. Having other things being forgotten about annoyed me even more. They needed a stronger reason for the Beatles to be forgotten. You got to be able to ground your concepts, no matter how outlandish. That’s lazy writing.

Upsiditus likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

I don't believe the screenwriter said they were forgotten, but that Jack awoke in a world where they never existed - where these four men never got together and formed a band. It's an alternate universe story, like the TV series The Man In The High Castle where the Nazis won WWII.

Lewisboogie and sixtiesstereo like this.
  24. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Exactly. It IS a fantasy. But a fun fantasy. I liked it so much I was given the Blu-ray for Christmas, and I'm
    now watching it AGAIN. And enjoying it even more. Plus, I can't wait to see the extras and outtakes....
    (BTW, I have had a problem hearing some of the dialog due to the British accents, so I turned
    on the subtitles, and it solved the problem. It's like watching it for the first time).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Upsiditus and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

You can’t say they never existed because they did exist, otherwise a minority of folks wouldn’t remember them or their music. It’s weak.

Upsiditus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.