The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Think "One collar (1 x C) and two sleeves" (2 x S) and you'll never have to look up how to spell it again. :tiphat:

2. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Pretty slick, might just remember that...English teacher?

3. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

I don't think there are many movies that are, strictly speaking, 'necessary'. It's not really a good criterion to use.

Upsiditus, BeatleJWOL, ARK and 5 others like this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I will definitely see this later on TV or on DVD but I don't feel like going to the cinema to see it.

Mr Day likes this.
  5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

6. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

There's no time travel in this film, so it's not really the same thing at all.

I saw it a few hours ago. It was better than I expected, but at heart it's a light-romance comedy-drama which just happens to have a goofy science-fiction premise and a lot of Beatles songs.

Cledwyn, Jarleboy, ARK and 1 other person like this.
  7. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Saw it last night with my wife and I enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to. She liked it too. I totally agree with Cool hand luke's comment, and had texted a good friend after seeing it with the exact same sentiment. Have to say I too was moved towards the end of the movie.

stevenson66g, bonus and MoonPool like this.
  8. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

I agree with every word. The knee jerk purists on this forum need to take a good hard look at themselves. Smug ain't pretty. Not a great movie but good fun. All you need is love indeed.

9. downer

downer Senior Member

Saw it last night with a friend, we both thoroughly enjoyed it - take it at face value, good entertainment.

10. Plectrum Electrum

Plectrum Electrum Forum Resident

I wouldn't go to see it at the cinema unless someone else really wanted to go and see it. Will rent/stream it when it's released.

11. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Nah, musician! :)

BDC and MoonPool like this.
  12. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

I am not a fan of any Beatles inspired move. Never saw one of them from I Wanna Hold Your Hans through Across the Universe. However, this one seems to be more promising to me and had an original premise. I’ll be going to this.

13. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I know that but the central premise - passing off Beatles songs as your own to people who have never heard of them - is exactly the same. In fact, the time travel element makes a certain amount of sense, this story on the other hand is totally nonsensical.

groundharp likes this.
  14. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

NOT an original premise - see my other post.

groundharp likes this.
  15. Sadcafe

So, by and large, the people who have seen it enjoyed it and those that haven't bitch about it. Sounds about right.

16. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

How right you are, unfortunately. There sure are a whole lot of cynical purists, to paint with a broad brush, that are poo-poo'ing this film w/o seeing it.

I'm as big of a Beatles fan as the next guy that was around for them in their day, and both my 65 yr old friend and I enjoyed it quite well. Neither of us took it too seriously; it's just a feel-good movie, with amusing scenarios.

Some people (not naming anyone) just need to lighten up and not be so rigid.

17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

It is a movie. It is light-hearted entertainment. It isn't supposed to be a documentary. If it weren't so darned expensive to go to the theater I would go see this. But I will save my once or twice per year theater attendance for a movie that I absolutely must see at the theater. So while I'm sure I'd enjoy this film, I'll wait until it is available for home viewing.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Anyone who wants to go and see this, good luck to them. However, I think it's reasonable to point out that this is basically a steal from someone else's idea.

Christian Hill likes this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Not a bad idea as this isn't one of those films that needs the big screen. And a dvd might include some full performances of the songs as an extra. I don't know if Netflix offers that sort of stuff.
    My wife always freezes to death at the theater (excessive air-conditioning) so I have a feeling this may be our last theater movie for a while!

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Seems like people who criticize this film (optionally without watching it) think it would hurt the Fabs' legacy.

ARK likes this.
  21. Sadcafe

And........? name a film that isn't.

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I enjoyed how Jack would be reminded of the songs. Someone would say something and a light would go off. And then the struggle with the lyrics. Very humorous ...and believable.

23. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

No. Make a movie that doesn’t leech of a band’s popularity in a manipulative way. A biopic is preferred.

24. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

I saw it last night (for $7...under $40 for three tickets, popcorn, drinks and candy...not bad!) and loved it. Had tears in my eyes when it got to the "twist" and stayed for the entirety of the Beatles' "Hey Jude" over the credits. Not a heavy movie by any means, but a lovely piece of proper entertainment. As a lifelong Beatles obsessive, it reminded me that, as the movie points out, a world without the music of the Fabs is a much poorer world indeed. A solid four stars out of five, and a solid YES from me!

Cledwyn, Eska68, Upsiditus and 18 others like this.
  25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Big money was paid for permission to include the songs performed by "Jack" (and the real end-credit song). This isn't leeching. Just the opposite as it acts as a promotion of the band and it's vast catalog (see all the accolades the Ed Sheehan character (yes, I know it's him. But it's a script) says about The Beatles' catalog of songs).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.