The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Its kinda funny but I'm 180 degrees in the opposite direction because watching modern movies is so rare for me. I read 1000 times more than I watch movies, and when I do its usually an old one. Modern film is (generally) drivel. And no, people who love this movie, I'm not talking specifically about this film because I haven't seen it.

Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Most films of any time period are crap. So are most books, songs, tv shows, etc.

Upsiditus and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yes but in this case I believe they are universally crap.

4. mercuryvenus

Sorry you feel that way. I strongly disagree. There have been some really excellent films over the last few years. TV in particular has been wonderful, especially when it comes to HBO and Showtime series.

5. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Is this status of originality today ?

6. mercuryvenus

No, it’s just a movie. There have been plenty of awesome, original movies and TV shows over the last 10 years. This is a movie with a cute premise that showcases some great music.

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I'm a reader as well. This film is very unpretentious and won't be winning any art film type awards. Just a pleasant couple hours of entertainment.

8. Django

Django Forum Resident

Just read the synopsis there. It's a mildly interesting premise, but no I wouldn't be interested in seeing it. More heritage rock cashing in.
    I looked up Richard Curtis filmography as well..... Pretty bad.

9. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Well it certainly isn't a re-do of an existing movie, God knows that's almost THE thing to do nowadays. Or yet another cliche biopic... why all the disdain for this movie, and all from those who haven't seen it? I've yet to see a post from someone who has seen it and hated it. It doesn't pretend to be a triumph in cinema-making, it is what it is, and succeeds. I still say give it a chance. I get that alota people dont want to pay the ridiculous admission price to a movie, so wait til it comes around for home-viewing. I caught a matinee showing for 10 bucks. And didnt buy snacks or drinks. At that price it was well worth it. And that twist at the end definitely hit me on an emotional level. I like when a movie does that.

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

$7.00 for me as I live out in the hinterlands. Yeah, you'd think some of the "no, never" folks are being asked to give up their first born child!

11. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Very poor reviews, havnt read a good one

12. Mr RLP

Mr RLP Forum Resident

I enjoyed it. Saw it this afternoon. I really liked Curtis' last film 'About Time', too.

13. mercuryvenus

What do you mean? It has a 60% on Rotten Tomatoes; that's really not bad, especially for a movie that doesn't pretend to be deep.

14. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

As Mercuryvenus said above, the reviews range from above average to decent. Certainly not the P.O.S. that all you who haven't seen it are insisting it is!

15. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

It isn't perfect, but I felt better after seeing the movie then I did walking in. Same as when I listen to a Beatles song.

And isn't that what it's all about?

16. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Just got back from an afternoon screening and it's genuinely good. Sure it's a naive cartoon fantasy with more plot holes than Blackburn has pot holes but it contains some truths and does a great job of painting the air of shattered hopes and impending doom that hangs around artists playing dead-end gigs to a diminishing crowd of friends and a handful of people talking over the music. A lot of us have been there in all three roles and it's never pretty. It also does a great job of paying tribute to the people who beaver away in the background of even the least successful act. The people who have the unenviable job of loyally trying to help things along and offering a bottomless pit of emotional support to the, generally-speaking, ungrateful or just plain oblivious star, or stars, in-waiting. Those for me are the best bits.

The second act, sketching out the rise to improbable success, is a solid and enjoyable ride. The third is a bit silly but with this premise what do you expect? I kept thinking they should have got Matt Cardle to play the lead but maybe that would have been a bit too "meta". It is also a movie that portrays popular music (and specifically Beatles music) as a redemptive force that purely and simply makes the world a nicer place to be for 3 minutes and occasionally tells us something about being human that we didn't already know. I am not sure what to say about fans of the band that aren't on board for that.

What it reminded me of most is the Keira Knightley / Mark Ruffalo singer-songwriter vehicle (can't remember the name) which is superficially about the lot of a nascent artist on the rise but ends up being about something else entirely.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Chris DeVoe, mrjinks, BZync and 5 others like this.
  17. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

Anything written by Richard Curtis is a no

18. obcbobd

obcbobd Forum Resident

Saw it yesterday. A very nice movie. Very much a "rom com", but the no one else knows the Beatles angle was fun. Definitely recommend. Kudos to Ed Sheerun for appearing in this movie which most definitely isn't about him.

And I didn't pay anything since my friend works for the theater!

19. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

Saw this idea done in the 1980s by an American film.[cant remember the name of the film]
    Although it was an Earth citizen on an Alien planet which had Earth human type civilization.[I think]

So the movie plot is not as original as everyone seems to be saying...
    Having said all that my young kinds want to see this so I probably will take them.
    Not much of a fan of Richard Curtis,Danny Boyle or Ed Sheeran.So could be a slog for me.
    I also think the lead actors voice is bang average on the songs I have heard.

20. mercuryvenus

Ok but Danny Boyle directed it.

DaverJ likes this.
  21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I've only read folks complaining that it isn't an original idea. :D

ARK, autumn daze and streetlegal like this.
  22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Agreed.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The concept of someone trying to pass off The Beatles songs as their own, to a world who has never heard them before, is pretty much identical, just a different means of getting there. :)

Anyway, an enjoyable film. I did a review for anyone interested, and it's easy to dip out to avoid spoilers as there's plenty of warning given before I give them...

24. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Watched it last night. It's a very entertaining movie.
    My Rating: 8/10

Drifter and bonus like this.
  25. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

That'll be "Begin Again", I recall this because my wife bought it for me for my birthday some years ago, and also I once wrote a song of that title so I was like "OK they better not have.." but we enjoyed the film, twas good with some very otm moments and a few daft bits. But hey.

Oh, and my song isn't in it so that's OK then.

Bassist, ARK and Zeki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.