The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My local paper which gave both Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocket man 2 and a half stars gave this one 3.

2. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

I don't believe it tarnishes the Beatles, no. I don't think it does them any favours maybe, but.

3. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I saw it on Friday.
    If you are a serious Beatles fan, and you are looking for a serious, deep story...stay away.
    It's a good date movie. Just don't put too much thought into it. There are plenty of plot holes. Enjoy the story for what it is, and see it as lighthearted fun.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Beautiful review. Highly enjoyed it. Thank you!!!!

andrewskyDE, Zeki and OobuJoobu like this.
  5. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I saw it this morning. I liked it much better than I thought I would. Yes it's light entertainment but still pretty good. There were a couple of moments that a hard core fan would appreciate. And without giving away anything one scene that really got to me. I rarely go to movies anymore so to have this and the Elton movie in a short span is much appreciated even if you like the movie or not.

AudiophilePhil and Zeki like this.
  6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

You still haven't seen the movie so how could you possibly form an opinion? (Rhetorical question!)

ARK likes this.
  7. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Very good review. Yes that scene really got to me too. Loved it.

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Looks like the film did pretty well at the box office in the USA, generating $17 million:

Weekend Box Office Results for June 28-30, 2019 - Box Office Mojo

The budget was $26 million, and the overseas gross has been about another $7-8 million. So it has already just about broken even.

Supposedly the Beatles/Apple were paid about $10 million to use their songs.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Because of your stamp of approval I went back and clicked on it. Yes, fabulous job, @OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu and DK Pete like this.
  10. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

Because it posits the idea that people could love the songs divorced from the times they were conveying the messages in and away from the context of the original inspiration that created them.

I don't think that tarnishes the Beatles, it doesn't do them any favours either. "Anybody could have hits with these songs" hmm.

Sorry if that looks like gibberish, it probably is.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes, but not until it's free (already paid for w/subscription) on Netflix, or Amazon.

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The film addresses this but I guess I wouldn't want to detract from your devout refusal to see the film. You must be setting some kind of forum record being a thread OP and being one of the last (and in your case, maybe you never will :D ) to hear/see what your own thread is about.

13. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I think we have reached a conclusion here friends... if you have seen it , it's a decent movie, and if your a Beatles fan with any sort of soul you will get a lump in your throat and possibly a damp eye at one particular scene. If you havnt seen it, then calling it s**t is just wrong

14. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Watched it on Friday. Really liked it. I'd rate it a B+. Very well made; Danny Boyle is great.

A few problems though:

1. If Oasis never existed in this alternate timeline, why did Ellie even love Jack in the first place, since he never actually performed "Wonderwall" in grade school to woo her, because "Wonderwall" never existed.

2. Colonial America would be completely devastated, especially The South, if cigarettes never existed as well. Tobacco exportation was essential to the economy of colonial America, and the unease between American tobacco farms and the British banks who gave them loans created much of the upheaval that caused The Revolutionary war. It's reasonable to assume that without cigarettes, there might not have been an actual America.

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I had to laugh at your spoilers.

soniclovenoize likes this.
  16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

What “Beatles”?

17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Yes, saw it, loved it.

18. Club Ninja

Club Ninja Member

I saw it on Friday with my girlfriend. The concept is interesting. I recommend watching it when you get the chance.

19. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Has anyone ever seen this one?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Who's Next" was The Who of course, silly. ;)

Man at C&A, dewey02 and MikeInFla like this.
  21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:laugh: I'll bet you two are a blast at parties. :wave:

Jarleboy, brettster808, ARK and 3 others like this.
  22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Same here.

23. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

That scene was really done well and somehow believable.

zobalob and Cool hand luke like this.
  24. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

People here sure love to complain, criticize, and all that.

25. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

Could have sworn the OP asked yes or no. And yet everyone has to say yes or they are complaining? People have these things called personal preferences and all that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.