The 'Yoko diary tape' - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

He pushed her father as far as wanting to have control of Apple.

2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Please read my post and what I highlighted in your quote. I said nothing about Linda. I said nothing about John and Yoko solo efforts. My comment was directed at your statement (which I bolded) that says Yoko Ono was not on any Beatles album. Please check your facts.

3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

In the UK, the 'Yoko hate' was exacerbated by lingering anti-Japanese sentiment, relating to the treatment of British POWs during WW2 - or so I've read.

I've heard some of the stuff she did separately from John and like quite a lot of it (though not enough to want to own it): but I don't rare her collaborations with John at all. What exactly does she bring to the Lennon/Zappa performance that was recently posted on here, apart from eldritch shrieking?

4. Generally speaking, she was accessory to the music. Paul always remained in control, as far as I can tell.

5. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

As I said I don't know if the third miaow loop on the left in Beatles song XYZ is John's cat or Yoko Ono but I guess Yoko Ono's presence in the Beatles is overshadowed by Billy Preston, so I blame Billy for the split.

6. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Starting a thread like this, you're going to get some Yoko defenders. And then you're going to get people like me.
    It would not do Paul McCartney any good at all to speak poorly of Yoko this many years later.
    And by the way, I am of the opinion that Ballad Of John And Yoko should never have been released as a "Beatles" song. It is my least favorite "Beatles" song.

ParloFax likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Featured = solo spots, Featured = solo songs written by.

8. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

You should read some of the books written by those in the Beatles' circle, I think you would understand it better.

9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Uhhhhh.... "Birthday", "Bungalow Bill", "Revolution 9" and the 1969 Christmas Record ring a bell? :p

10. Music Geek

So do they sound like Yoko Ono compositions or Yoko Ono arrangements? To me they sound like Beatles songs (apart from Revolution 9 of course but I don't think it is there because of Yoko).

11. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Interesting that you keep changing the marker to try to make yourself correct. Who said they didn't sound like Beatles songs? But let me remind you what you said.

CMcGeek and ParloFax like this.
  12. Music Geek

OK Yoko Ono had a massive influence on the bad Beatles songs that you don't like. Even before meeting John Lennon she was already spoiling Beatles songs. Besides she is featured heavily starting from Please Please Me onwards and she is definitely the reason why the other Beatles wanted to end the Beatles.

Happy now?

I made my point but the focus is all on the fact that my sentence doesn't comply with the level of accuracy needed to be a true Beatles fan. IMO the essence of my comment remains (if you could just go past being so anal).
    Yoko Ono: strange Asian woman who sits next to John and has a brain: Guilty!
    Linda: normal Western woman who does what she is told: Harmless and Innocent!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
    Hall Cat likes this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Are we talking about "John and Yoko" nad "Paul and Linda" as partners or we talking about Lee Eastman?

In the final chapter of the Apple Saga, could Lee Eastman have been worse than Allen Klein?
    It wasn't like Lee Eastman wasn't a showbiz lawyer?

from wikipedia:
    Eastman and his son successfully managed McCartney's solo career, leaving McCartney the wealthiest of the former Beatles. In 1984, McCartney cited one example of advice he received from Eastman:
    “ The music publishing I own is fabulous. Beautiful. I owe it all to Linda's dad Lee Eastman and her brother John. Linda's dad is a great business brain. He said originally, 'If you are going to invest, do it in something you know. If you invest in building computers or something, you can lose a fortune. Wouldn't you rather be in music? Stay in music.' I said, 'Yeah, I'd much rather do that.' So he asked me what kind of music I liked. And the first name I said was Buddy Holly. Lee got on to the man who owned Buddy Holly's stuff and bought that for me. So I was into publishing now."

Maybe if George Harrison would have been with Lee Eastman as his lawyer, he wouldn't of had the business problems he endured later on.

Layla35, petem1966, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

"Listen closely to "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill" and "Revolution 9".

Folknik likes this.
  15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Paul might not ever been connected with Lee Eastman if not for the relationship with Linda.

.....and I won't disagree with you in hindsight that he might have been a better choice than Allen Klein......but as going on at that present time, it was a factor in the demise of the Beatles.

dewey02 likes this.
  16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Possibly true but by this point (in early 1969), Paul was perceived - by John and George, at least - as an authority figure, bent on controlling the group. Maybe unfair, but the suggestion that his soon-to-be in-law managed them was always going to look like yet another move for dominance, in that context.

17. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

And "Birthday".

18. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I'm no Beatles, Paul, nor John fanboy. All I can say is I listened to the first part of that tape and that if some twit was trying to talk into a tape recorder when I was trying to work as a musician, they would get kicked to the curb, quite literally, significant other or not. And every other musician I know would feel the same way. She comes of as a childish, self-centered nutjob.

keyXVII, JannL and Carserguev like this.
  19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

She's also on "The Ballad of John and Yoko", originally just a single, but included on the Hey Jude album assembled by Allen Klein and later on Past Masters.

20. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

True, but didn't they have an agreement amongst themselves, All for one and one for all? Meaning that IF they they all couldn't agree the answer was no. So, in that spirit Klein and Eastman are out and you start another short list for a business manager. But John, George and Ringo didn't abide by that agreement.

Also, although Mick Jagger gets the nod for bringing Klein to John Lennon's attention, was he later advising them against signing with him. Not sure of the exact chronology after the "Rock and Roll Circus" meeting.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    Slokes likes this.
  21. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Never mind him pushing her, look at how the two women acted in those situations. Yoko acted like she was on John's level and had no problem bossing around Beatles/Apple/Abbey Road staff, treating them very poorly by most accounts. And her criticisms of the Beatles while in the studio between takes certainly didn't endear her to the other three. Whereas Linda was reluctant to get involved with Paul's music and had to be forced into it by him. Huge different between the two.

keyXVII, Zeki, Slokes and 4 others like this.
  22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Well, we know for sure that she's on the picture sleeve of the single!
    I wasn't aware that she appeared anywhere on the actual vinyl (except for her name printed on the label, of course).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    DrBeatle likes this.
  23. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Surprisingly, she's not on that track.

24. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I don't hear her on that or see her listed anywhere as participating. (all John and Paul)

Zeki likes this.
  25. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

That, she is on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.