The 'Yoko diary tape' - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The only involvement she has with that song is her name in the title and her picture on the sleeve. (which must have infuriated the other 3)

2. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

I'm not a fan of Yoko's music or art per se, but I think John gets a big pass from so many Beatles fans for his cowardly behavior, i.e. using Yoko's as a shield between him and the rest of the group and their associates for the rest of his life when he wasn't in the mood to deal (or conflict) with them. Yes she willingly played her part, and still does. But John considered her his ideal partner and seemed drawn to her for many things including her willingness to "baby" him and play defense for him against the big, bad world. For John, it was to his benefit to have his wife also be his own personal hatchet man to deal with his personal and business beefs, including towards the other three Beatles when he didn't feel like it. A relationship, even a submissive-dominant one is a two-way street. How convenient was it for John to put Yoko between himself and everyone else? Very, apparently since he used her for this end until the day he died. That's on him as far as I'm concerned.

Layla35, keyXVII, JannL and 6 others like this.
  3. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

No she's not. BoJ&Y is only John and Paul.

4. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Yoko's treatment of Cynthia and Julian is one of the main reasons I dislike her. She doesn't deserve all the blame, but she does not strike me as a nice person - at least not back then. Linda was at least self-aware and didn't pretend that music was her forte.

keyXVII and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

So it must be Paul on that high harmony.

6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I had read somewhere that she sang the high harmony near the end, but not everything we read is accurate. That may have been Paul's falsetto.

7. Paul!

I may be wrong, but I don't think Yoko Ono was capable of signing in that style at all... at least then!

8. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

So, about the diary tape...

JulesDassin likes this.
  9. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

It's interesting, but I was glad when the long version of the song came out without the commentary.

10. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

You know who I can't stand? Maureen Starkey. Especially when Ringo demanded that she get her own couch in the middle of the studio. That really started driving the band apart.

JannL and Turmatic like this.
  11. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I actually kind of like Yoko's musing's over the song. It's an interesting juxtaposition.

Mal likes this.
  12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Wow. I bought that single in Japan. Wished I still had it...but I sure do not recall this jacket cover. I'm gonna have to scout around and see if this was the same one released in Japan. I suppose I could just be aging?!

13. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I think different countries had different covers.

14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Yeah, and Ringo divorced her in 1975. Probably trying to get back on good graces with the rest of the band for her couch in the studio fiasco. :)
    But it may have actually been George who wanted Mo on that couch!
    Maybe Mo made a tape as well? I think it was about her being a hairdresser and Ringo wanting to be 2 hairdressers.

JDeanB, GV1967 and Grunge Master like this.
  15. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

She played drums on it, if memory serves.

(Boom, tish!)

16. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

My question:

For clarity, where is Yoko when she is recording this diary? Is she in the control room?

If she's talking this loudly in the control room while a session is happening in the studio, how could any of the engineers actually hear anything and get work done?

17. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

The "Yoko Dairy Tape"? Is that from when she was selling cows?:angel:

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I understand it perfectly. JOHN LOVED HER...done.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for your concern...if they don't they should shut their MOUTHS.

20. nicole21290

nicole21290 Forum Resident

The part of the 'diary' which really does interest me is this:

-

Y: And now, Paul says that John says something, and then Paul said, “No, no I was just looking at you.”

J: Jumped you in, but you didn’t come in till then, did you? Just before.

P: No, I.

J: You’re not going to come in any earlier?

Y: So that’s almost funny, cause that’s what I was doing too.

J: It sounded very nice all of you anyway, so that’s it now. That’s it, great, so we’ll do it each time.

GM: Okay, here we go.

Y: After the initial embarrassment, that how Paul is being very nice to me, he’s nice and a very, str- on the level, straight, sense, like wherever there’s something like happening at the Apple, he explains to me, as if I should know. And also whenever there’s something like they need a light man, or something like that he asks me if I know of anybody, things like that. And like I can see that he’s just now suddenly changing his attitude, like his being, he’s treating me with respect, not because it’s me, but because I belong to John. I hope that’s what it is because that would be nice. And I feel like he’s my younger brother or something like that. I’m sure that if he had been a woman or something, he would have been a great threat, because there’s something definitely very strong with me, John, and Paul. And. . .

J: Ringo, you’re just a bit out with him.

Ringo Starr: Okay.

J: Yeah, Paul. Do come in lad.

Y: And probably among those three people of George and Ringo and Paul. Paul is the one I feel the vibration, sort of sense it.

J: If you knew, what we’d been through while you’ve been gone, I can tell you. . .

Y: That something is . . . among the . . .

GM: Okay, let’s go.

Y: You know, ‘cause Ringo and George, I just can’t communicate. I mean, I’m sure that George and Ringo, they’re very nice people. That’s not the point.

21. ViNyLBLADERUNNER

ViNyLBLADERUNNER Well-Known Member

Yoko a misunderstood genius.. What an artist. I mean this very sincerely

petem1966 and Shem the Penman like this.
  22. ViNyLBLADERUNNER

ViNyLBLADERUNNER Well-Known Member

Some girl just shouted, "Cynthia's better than her"

23. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Just because he was Linda's father doesn't mean he was NOT the right person.

And Allen Klein wasn't related to anybody and he was still the wrong person.

foxylady and ParloFax like this.
  24. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Linda wasn't featured in live concerts, (there are a few exceptions), because she can't stay on pitch to save her life. This was
    covered up well in the studio. She is essentially talentless without Paul as a musician.

Carserguev likes this.
  25. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

My solution to the whole "Yoko Diary" mess:

Naked 9 and JulesDassin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.