SH Spotlight The Young Rascals, 1967, candid photos from the GROOVIN' recording sessions. Lost for 50 years!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

That big interview in Discoveries magazine in the mid-90's mentioned that Dino (who's the band's archivist) has copies of some of those including a alternate take of "How Can I Be Sure" that's in 6/8 time, why he's sitting on those we'll never know.

My uncle who engineered First Take, Volunteered Slavery, Silver Cycles and a few other Atlantic LP's told me that, he said it was "substandard tape which wouldn't line up on the machine" also "dog **** on plastic film" was another term he used. He forgot the brand name.
    Apparently Ahmet Ertegen was getting kickbacks from the tape manufacturer to use it in the studio.

Me thinks the tape manufacturer was Audio Magnetics which is from the late 60's and was pretty rotten stuff, their cassettes were the worst.

[​IMG]

2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I remember Bob (the owner of the store) asked Tom Dowd about the fire and what was lost, Tom's answer was..........................."no comment".
    You wonder if it was a inside job.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Atlantic vault fire

4. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Forum Resident

Great info!