The Zombies: Complete Studio Recordings (5 LP Vinyl Box Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monkadee, Jan 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Looks like Demon Records is the most complete (despite the other one being called Complete) and cheapest.
    Never heard of Demon Records before. The Zombies FB page has been promoting both sets.

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Those are serious omissions IMO -- both killer tracks. Love 'em both. Sure they are covers (Bo Diddley and IIRC Ray Charles) but The Zombies go full bore on them. They are among my favourite early tracks of theirs.

Pawnmower likes this.
  3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Andrew Sandoval just promoted the "Complete Studio Recordings" box on Facebook.. saying it's coming out for RSD even though the date is Feb. 22.
    Weird he's involved in this box but not the other one..
    Weird there are 2 boxes coming.

Surprised there isn't more people in this thread talking about this.

ptijerm, gss, team2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Is it because one is for the US market and one is for the U.K. market?

5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

but why are there seperate ones for each market?
    why is andrew only involved in one?
    why is the box that's called "complete," missing at least 2 songs?
    it's just very unusual.

the band is promoting both boxes, but since they are assembled by different teams, i wonder what differences we can expect sound-wise.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

When Odessey and Oracle is on a replica of the Decca label you know you're in trouble

Man at C&A and team2 like this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Brain hurts. Don't know which box to buy. Like the lineup better on Beginning", but uncertain of Demon's reputation. I should probably stick with Andrew. Will continue to writhe in confusion.

team2 and btltez like this.
  8. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I prefer Andrew's box's artwork, and he has a great (to me) track record, but how he left off a couple songs I can't figure out.
    The Demon box is cheaper and more complete. It's tough.

team2 and Daniel Plainview like this.
  9. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Demon has done some great reissues, notably for me the T.Rex Slider remaster a couple years ago. All from original analogues. My go to of that album. But I can't figure this Zombies one out either. And why is Andrew saying ''RSD" ??

intv7 and ptijerm like this.
  10. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Pretty.Odd. and cwitt1980 like this.
  11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Any other news on this?

Has Andrew ever said why the "complete" box is missing songs?

12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

there's an unboxing video of the UK set on the zombies facebook page today.

13. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I feel the same way. I thought the Varese RSD reissues of The Easybeats Good Friday and Vigil (both in mono) were excellent, so I expect nothing less with the Complete Zombies box. As for the omissions of "Road Runner" and "Sticks and Stones," I actually don't mind it, since they're my least favorite songs from the early stuff. I may end up going with the Complete box then...

14. Monkadee

Monkadee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why release O&O in stereo AGAIN? This is definitely a no for me.

team2 likes this.
  15. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Yeah, having the mono version on remastered vinyl would be the better option.

btltez and Monkadee like this.
  16. gss

gss Forum Resident

Today’s Acoustic Sounds email newsletter mentioned the “Complete” VS box for sale.

Still no word on digitally sourced? I would imagine if they were AAA they’d be shouting about it from the rooftops.

Doesn’t Sandoval post on Facebook a lot? Hasn’t he cleared anything up? I believe he offered a lot of details while folks were learning about the Kinks box set.

17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

If another band released something said to be "complete" and wasn't, this forum would be on fire.
    Whether you liked the missing songs or not. That means me lean toward the box with the worse
    cover and color vinyl over the box with the cool cover and black vinyl. Still not sure how Andrew
    let something like that happen. Dude is usually super thorough.

18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

In most cases, Sandoval seems to be the one to put things together but not packaging. He doesn't get the final say either. He seems like a busy dude and just lost his cat and friend. I'd give him a break. I'm sure there's an explanation and more will be revealed. Most Zombies stuff doesn't fly off the shelves so a little patience probably wouldn't hurt anything.

Electric Sydney and team2 like this.
  19. gss

gss Forum Resident

I'm less concerned about those two songs, moreso about the audio quality.

20. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

missing the point. not concerned with the packaging.. talking about the missing songs.
    just wondering why Zombies fans don't care, is all.

these sets were done before his cat died and clearly before peter tork died..
    andrew is only involved in the US box, not the UK one.

21. voceforte

voceforte Active Member

I messaged Varese Sarabande on FB and asked about the 'Complete Studio Recordings' vinyl box set. This was their response; "The box set is all sourced from the original masters aside from the new Oddities and Extras album which was via a digital source derived from the original master. Albums were pressed at Erika who has handled all the Zombies re-issues. The mastering was overseen primarily by Bill Inglot with Andrew Sandoval filling in the gaps."

Electric Sydney likes this.
  22. gss

gss Forum Resident

But does "sourced from the original masters" mean tape?

23. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Why is colored vinyl "childish and completely unnecessary"?

24. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

A lot of that stuff is usually well beyond his control, from what I can tell. It's probably not his call to call it "Complete", and there were probably rights issues or something that prevented the couple of missing tracks.

What I really want to know is why there are two boxes and why he was involved in one and not the other.

25. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

once you guys get your sets, please post your thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.